• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3rd edition D&D rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

akascream

Banned
I've been taking a while to let go of 2nd edition because I have so many books for it, but God damn if 3rd edition isn't kick ass. I've been playing a rogue, and not only do I get the typical utility functionality, but sneak attack is so much better than backstab, and there are some awesome combat feats for a rogue. I just got a new book with warrior feats in it, and it has abilities that let you spend sneak attack damage on things like dots and slow. The tactics of the game has taken a huge leap.. especially for the melee classes (though combat and tactics for 2nd edition was also pretty fun).

Anyway, :thumbsup to WotC.

Ristamar

Not that I've played in years, but 3rd edition really does slap the shit out of 2nd edition. The open sourced nature of the d20 system is great, too. Lots of quality third-party products are always hitting the shelves.

3rd Edition does do some things right, but it also opens the door to a lot of abuse. I still preferred 2nd Edition, but I guess that's just nostalgia talking. :)

What campaigns have you guys played? Have you tried D20 Modern, Star Wars RPG or anything else?

akascream

Banned
Yeah.. I was very suprised to see them use the d20 system, and very impressed. It is much easier to use than the backasswards thought process that is THAC0 vs AC. It ties skills, ability checks, saving throws, attacks into the same mindset. It payed off too. Not only am I grateful as a customer, but it has attracted addon books for D&D. And of course you can adapt most d20 books that you want.

Anyway, maybe its just the MMO player in me.. but I was kinda suprised to not see a taunt feat. We're thinking about adding it to our campaign as a full round action, but we want to test the system as is first. The tactics are pretty good already, with spring attack I can avoid getting hit even if the DM decides to try and deal damage to me. It can just seem inconsistant sometimes, who an enemy attacks and why. And it can be a pain for the DM to decide based on intelligence, ect. It would be nice if a warrior could taunt an enemy so it would attack him only for the round.

3rd Edition does do some things right, but it also opens the door to a lot of abuse.

Thats the cool thing about a GM though. ;)

akascream

Banned
One thing I have noticed is that a well built character can do lots of damage. So to challenge us, the DM naturally puts us up against harder mobs. But thier HP:Damage ratio is a little off. We can kill some very tough monsters, but those same monsters could kill us pretty easily too. So we've been automatically giving enemies max hp, or adding hit dice and that seems to even out the play, rather than nerf the damage of a well built player. Anyone else run into this issue?

hiryu

I always give the monsters max hp when I DM. Are you playing 3.0 or 3.5? I've found 3.5 to correct a few mistakes I felt they made in 3.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom