• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K HDR Dolby Movies, whats better? Stream or Download? (NO BLURAY)

So..

A friend recommend me to download some 4k movies, i got a bunch of them but... file size are around 4-9 gb.
Thats too low for 4k HDR no? I feel that streaming from Netflix, Apple TV or even Youtube give me better image quality.

What size should be a 4k movie?

nush

4gw1xc.jpg

Netflix and Apple look really good, I get around 20 gb per movie, but still low for Dolby Vision ( 2gbps internet)

amazon and YouTube only activate HDR and looks ok.

those files I got looks not good :/

edit:/ just checked;
netflix is around 25gb-30gbwith dolby vision.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Most lossless disc based rips are usually around 55GB for the movie alone. H265 remuxed ones are around 20-30GB, anything lower and you're getting harsher compression that will put it along the lines of basic streaming. Anything below 10GB and you're in ehhh territory.

dorkimoe

25-50 is how big they usually are. Apple TV plus has the best streaming quality though if you want to stream

So..

A friend recommend me to download some 4k movies, i got a bunch of them but... file size are around 4-9 gb.
Thats too low for 4k HDR no? I feel that streaming from Netflix, Apple TV or even Youtube give me better image quality.

What size should be a 4k movie?

The lower end of that is absolute shit even for 1080p so it's going to look horrible in 4K. In saying that, download is going to be much better, so long as you download remuxes. Your biggest problem is going to be storage space, unless you have data caps that is.

It's been a while, but I remember movies being about 15-35GB or so depending on movie length and bitrate for 1080p. Not sure bout 4K exactly, but think at least double that.

Streaming bitrates are not near ideal yet. Don't depend on that if you're after quality.

I get more bandwidth on my regular ass old Blu-rays. Why would you even talk about image quality and not consider discs?

Don't forget sound quality. Even the best streaming services have dogshit sound quality. Blu-rays annihilate them.

EDIT: might have confused download size with bandwidth but the point still stands

Last edited:

ClaraCraighead

Neo Member
Netflix and Apple look really good, I get around 20 gb per movie, but still low for Dolby Vision ( 2gbps internet)

amazon and YouTube only activate HDR and looks ok.

those files I got looks not good :/

I was excited to check out what 4K HDR movies were on Netflix. I had heard some good things about Netflix in general. I was also excited to try out the Dolby Vision format on my Samsung Q7. The plan was to stream a 4K movie while simultaneously browsing the Netflix selection to find some other 4K HDR titles. I went through my queue and quickly made a few changes to the titles that I had found and agreed upon. I paused the movie I was watching so that I could change the title. When I clicked on the movie I had been watching, the title title did not change. I was confused!

I get more bandwidth on my regular ass old Blu-rays. Why would you even talk about image quality and not consider discs?

Don't forget sound quality. Even the best streaming services have dogshit sound quality. Blu-rays annihilate them.

EDIT: might have confused download size with bandwidth but the point still stands

No discs because they will give the best image quality for sure.

out there streaming and downloading files have a big discrepancy in image quality. some time one looks better than another :/

agree! sound is so important, I wish I could get some nice home theater, for now I only use sound bar.

Top Bottom