• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So my 15 years old Pioneer Kuro is dying - OLED, QD-OLED, QLED..

Buggy Loop

Pouring Austin Powers GIF

That Kuro was amazing. I can't believe it lasted me even that long. Image quality was so good that I never felt the urge to upgrade when going to stores. On top of that, it served as a heater for Canadian winter :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Now the panel randomly doesn't turn on, has the 8 blinking lights of death, it sometimes start but it's getting really annoying when it doesn't want to as it really sucks for the kids, especially with holiday movie season. Probably fixable by toying around with the PCBs inside, but putting cash into a 15 years old display doesn't make too much sense.

So.. for a new TV
  • No intention of having the new TV as "the" home cinema, I'm renovating my basement for a movie theater so likely a 85~98" panel will go down there, in the meantime
    • I think 65" is good, and will serve as secondary TV eventually.
  • I don't have a PS5 nor an Xbox, no intention of future consoles either. I have a Nintendo switch I barely play with anymore but more than likely, my kids will eventually play it on it more and when they're older a bit I'll play with them.
    • So good upscaling, I doubt even Switch 2 will be 4K so upscaling that doesn't suck is high on the list. On top of TV channels barely moving out of the HD age.
  • A bit worried about burn-in, but technically we don't watch the troublesome things like news feed 8 hours a day or something. Kids playing games and leaving it ON for a while might be a problem.
  • I hear that there's no TV nowadays that will match the motion resolution of Plasma so that sucks a bit, but I mean, unless someone corrects me, there's not a single tech in modern TVs that will match it, correct?
  • I don't particularly aim for the BEST picture quality with perfect blacks infinite contrasts, etc. I love the Kuro image quality and that was not perfect. My wife will never care for it. I'll put in more cash into the future home theater setup, again, this will likely become secondary TV.
  • Right now it would be in a bright room with big windows

I kind of nailed it down to
  • Cheap LCD ~$1500 Canadian, hoping for a $999 sales soon? Don't think I can wait..
    • TCL QM8 / Hisense U8K, these are apparently trading blows, with Hisense having more software problems it seems, so I would aim for TCL, but how long do they last..
    • Sony X90L, its just a full array but apparently punch way above its weight with sony processing. Only a few scenes can be problematic with it but also the image would be more accurate as the micro-LED displays will typically just black crush details, such as stars disapearing. Sony has best upscaling from what I read?
  • Top range LCD ~$2100
    • Samsung QN90C
  • Mid-range OLED ~$2300 CND
    • LG C3 / Sony A80L / Samsung S90C, Samsung not having any Dolby vision, again, not even sure I'll take advantage of it..
Is OLED worth the extra ~$800 over cheap LCD for secondary TV?

Mind you, I already have an Apple 4K TV, so forget about the trash "smart" OS of the TVs, I could live with them being dumb as a brick for all I care.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
How bright of a room are we talking? OLED image quality is supreme and the newer models get pretty bright. Its worth the extra money for the image quality alone. But if you're playing in some sunroom then you wont be getting its best performance until night time comes

Me personally I will always go OLED or QD OLED no matter what

Famipan

As I understand, the cheaper tv’s suck at upscaling lower resolutions. LG OLEDs are said to be versatile and good at both 720p and 4K. No idea about which LED-TV is good though since there is always risk of burn-in when family members start using Youtube music streams all day (YT is much better than before though with no logo)

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

How bright of a room are we talking? OLED image quality is supreme and the newer models get pretty bright. Its worth the extra money for the image quality alone. But if you're playing in some sunroom then you wont be getting its best performance until night time comes

Me personally I will always go OLED or QD OLED no matter what

Massive 3 door sized patio doors in front of where the TV would be. In winter the trees loses their leaves so it can get very bright. In summer the tree gives constant shade to this side of the house.

I wouldn't necessarily care too much if there's a loss of image quality in the worst sunny day case to be honest, as long as we still see something. I watch my stuffs more at night, day time is mostly for the kids.

elbourreau

Switched from the last Pioneer gen (5090 if I remember...) to a panasonic OLED, because every picture I looked was pretty meh, untill I seen panasonic and LG Oled. Wouldn't stand LCD quality -there are highs and lows with oled, but, man that OLED picture is insane !-

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't OLED and game.
Playing on a plasma you weren't concerned with burn in so it might work for you.

I personally am waiting to see what is announced at CES is January.

Mister Wolf

The best QLEDs:

I have a Samsung QN90A and couldn't be happier. Bright image with colors that pop. If I were buying a new set it would be the X93L. They are 25% off right now on Amazon

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Oled brothers unite and help this man

Bright room get a QD oled

Regular room a regular oled will suffice.

I have a S90c 65 on the Wall and a C2 on my computer desk. Both doo well dim or bright rooms

First you need find ur your max budget, I always find best bang for buck is last year models, if u can afford it, get a oled, if u can spend a bit more get a Qd oled, colours just pop a little more.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
From the context you provided in the OP I would go with a full array LCD as you will get a nice tv for the use cases you provided with no potential downsides.

Would be a waste of money to go any further than that.

Don’t worry about either HDR+ or Dolby Vision. I can’t tell the difference between them, and I don’t notice when I’m watching standard hdr. HDR itself is the jump.

Use the saved money for something else.

Last edited:
15 years is a helluva run for any tv, it has earned its rest.

I’ve got an older Samsung Q6 (I think) QLED and I’ve been pretty happy with it for gaming.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I am loving my QD-OLED Samsung S90C. I never had Dolby Vision before, so I still don't know what I'm missing (if anything). I have quite a few HDR10+ titles that it handles very well though.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The best QLEDs:

I have a Samsung QN90A and couldn't be happier. Bright image with colors that pop. If I were buying a new set it would be the X93L. They are 25% off right now on Amazon
What is said here

I have both living in Florida the QN90 and a 77" OLED and much prefer the Samsung especially with any light in the room

Your best bet is get a smaller version of one or the other thats easy to return and test it at your house before deciding

Bojji

Check it out in store before buying.
OLED and QLED are more or less the same.
QLED handles blacks better but otherwise you’re good with either.

What you said here is totally wrong.

"QLED"s can have decent blacks but this depends on panel used (VA vs IPS), quality of backlight (mini led or normal) and quality of local dimming (plus number of dimming zones) so it can be totally shit or quite good.

OLED is perfect in this aspect.

What about this HDR thing?

Seems Sony doesn't support HDR10+
Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision

🤷‍♂️

For games this is useless, HDR10 is most important.

For movies lack od DV support might be a problem.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Pouring Austin Powers GIF

That Kuro was amazing. I can't believe it lasted me even that long. Image quality was so good that I never felt the urge to upgrade when going to stores. On top of that, it served as a heater for Canadian winter :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Now the panel randomly doesn't turn on, has the 8 blinking lights of death, it sometimes start but it's getting really annoying when it doesn't want to as it really sucks for the kids, especially with holiday movie season. Probably fixable by toying around with the PCBs inside, but putting cash into a 15 years old display doesn't make too much sense.

So.. for a new TV
  • No intention of having the new TV as "the" home cinema, I'm renovating my basement for a movie theater so likely a 85~98" panel will go down there, in the meantime
    • I think 65" is good, and will serve as secondary TV eventually.
  • I don't have a PS5 nor an Xbox, no intention of future consoles either. I have a Nintendo switch I barely play with anymore but more than likely, my kids will eventually play it on it more and when they're older a bit I'll play with them.
    • So good upscaling, I doubt even Switch 2 will be 4K so upscaling that doesn't suck is high on the list. On top of TV channels barely moving out of the HD age.
  • A bit worried about burn-in, but technically we don't watch the troublesome things like news feed 8 hours a day or something. Kids playing games and leaving it ON for a while might be a problem.
  • I hear that there's no TV nowadays that will match the motion resolution of Plasma so that sucks a bit, but I mean, unless someone corrects me, there's not a single tech in modern TVs that will match it, correct?
  • I don't particularly aim for the BEST picture quality with perfect blacks infinite contrasts, etc. I love the Kuro image quality and that was not perfect. My wife will never care for it. I'll put in more cash into the future home theater setup, again, this will likely become secondary TV.
  • Right now it would be in a bright room with big windows

I kind of nailed it down to
  • Cheap LCD ~$1500 Canadian, hoping for a $999 sales soon? Don't think I can wait..
    • TCL QM8 / Hisense U8K, these are apparently trading blows, with Hisense having more software problems it seems, so I would aim for TCL, but how long do they last..
    • Sony X90L, its just a full array but apparently punch way above its weight with sony processing. Only a few scenes can be problematic with it but also the image would be more accurate as the micro-LED displays will typically just black crush details, such as stars disapearing. Sony has best upscaling from what I read?
  • Top range LCD ~$2100
    • Samsung QN90C
  • Mid-range OLED ~$2300 CND
    • LG C3 / Sony A80L / Samsung S90C, Samsung not having any Dolby vision, again, not even sure I'll take advantage of it..
Is OLED worth the extra ~$800 over cheap LCD for secondary TV?

Mind you, I already have an Apple 4K TV, so forget about the trash "smart" OS of the TVs, I could live with them being dumb as a brick for all I care.
At that time, quality was still being produced. My 2017 Samsung had extreme burn in. My 2020 Samsung has recently started flickering when I turn it on. I will never buy Samsung crap again.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
LG OLED. I’ve been using my CX as a computer monitor for years and have no burn in that I notice.

I have an old panasonic plasma in my living room and even that barely has burn in.

kiphalfton

Animated GIF

Another plasma gone...

At that time, quality was still being produced. My 2017 Samsung had extreme burn in. My 2020 Samsung has recently started flickering when I turn it on. I will never buy Samsung crap again.

I totally agree with older people who say shit used to be built better. Feel like most stuff is made to last like 5-10 years (if that) anymore.

Didn't used to believe in dumping more money into my stuff I currently own, but if build quality is there and it's fixable, may as well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
As an owner of a 65 and 83 INCH OLED tandem, I'm biased but you won't regret it.

If you can also find a relatively good DV set among the others listed, I think you'll be good too. Just make sure you HDMI 2.1 compliant.

S0ULZB0URNE

"QLED"s can have decent blacks but this depends on panel used (VA vs IPS), quality of backlight (mini led or normal) and quality of local dimming (plus number of dimming zones) so it can be totally shit or quite good.

For games this is useless, HDR10 is most important.

For movies lack od DV support might be a problem.
Crushed and floating blacks are far from perfect factors.

Maybe try Dolby Vision on a display that can hold its brightness before you keep trying to down play it.
Next Gen HDR for gaming will be on TV's that can do Dolby Vision and HDR 10+ with high FPS.

bitbydeath

As I said, while QLED generally does blacks better you should go and check it out in person.

Tarin02543

im running a kuro too, hope it last for a very long time

qd oled all the way for my next monitor but for my tv ill try to ride this plasma train forever

Xellos

If you go LED with local dimming definitely pay a little more for the wide angle color (Sony x93L/x95L) rather than the standard VA panel (Sony x90L). You lose a little in contrast but it's worth it to be able to sit off angle without having washed out colors. I would not consider any non-Sony LED as Sony has the best local dimming algorithm, especially in game mode.

Bojji

Crushed and floating blacks are far from perfect factors.

Maybe try Dolby Vision on a display that can hold its brightness before you keep trying to down play it.
Next Gen HDR for gaming will be on TV's that can do Dolby Vision and HDR 10+ with high FPS.

RIGHT NOW Dolby Vision is useless for gaming because almost no games support it, Xbox setting for DV just converts HDR10 signal. Once developers start to use DV it will be better format for games for sure.

HDR10 peak brightness in 4000 nits so brightness isn't the problem for games.

Right now HDR10 (console, PC) and HGIG (tv) is perfect combo.

As I said, while QLED generally does blacks better you should go and check it out in person.

Even the best QLED with thousands of dimming zones will be worse than OLED where every pixel is a light source. You are wrong.

Guwop

Neo Member
That's quite shocking. I have bought many Samsung TV's since the early 2000's and have never had a single problem with any one of them. Samsung TV's have been flawless in my experience.

Top Bottom