• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So my 15 years old Pioneer Kuro is dying - OLED, QD-OLED, QLED..

custardbun01

Neo Member
My Panasonic plasma turns 10 in 2024 so hoping it continues to last. Plasmas still look amazing.

I’d go OLED if I were you. My friend as a Sony OLED and it looks pretty damn awesome.

Bojji

Regardless of the type of TV, please don't buy Samsung.
I always had severe issues with them, software is total crap

I had a friend who worked at Samsung and I’ll always remember what he told me : “Even Samsung doesn’t buy Samsung”

He was on AI team for sifting info from what you watch, he told me to stay away from it.

I had "dumb" Samsung tvs and those were ok, there were some software bugs etc. but everything was super fast.

My fiancee bought Samsung (without consulting me) with their "Chinese" OS , it's HORRIBLE, going into options takes forever. Samsung is usually overpriced as well.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I had "dumb" Samsung tvs and those were ok, there were some software bugs etc. but everything was super fast.

My fiancee bought Samsung (without consulting me) with their "Chinese" OS , it's HORRIBLE, going into options takes forever. Samsung is usually overpriced as well.
Korean like LG

Bernoulli

M2 slut
?

Why would you post this? The Samsung is overly aggressive with the dimming based on the screenshot you provided. There is a tremendous amount of detail lost, do you not see it? 3x more dimming zones doesn’t mean much when the algorithm driving those zones cuts out that much detail. Sure, the Sony has blooming, but at least I can see the tree on the left.

Also, nit race? Since when is reproducing the intended image a bad thing? Why is accurate reproduction of contrast something to be valued, but accurate reproduction of brightness is something to be questioned? You are aware that content is mastered at 4000 nits, so achieving 4000 nits is an important capability of the TV, no? More range is absolutely worth achieving.
here is another good video explaining the misconception about specs
Sony is doing much better with inferior hardware because they have a better software, when i saw this i stopped looking at specs, dimming zone and nits

iHaunter

QD-OLED is literally a better version of an OLED so I'm not sure why you'd have one over another unless it's price. I had a Samsung QLED, there's just no comparison. Not even in the conversation. It's dead tech.

I have a Sony A95K (QD-OLED) and have never seen a better TV personally. Does everything I want.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
here is another good video explaining the misconception about specs
Sony is doing much better with inferior hardware because they have a better software, when i saw this i stopped looking at specs, dimming zone and nits

Yep, HDTVTest covered this too.

Folks need to stop drawing conclusions based purely on spec sheets and trust their eyes more. And they should look at direct comparisons of shots in challenging sequences so they can see the strengths and weaknesses inherent to the different technologies, and make an informed decision based on what they value more.

When it comes to value, TCL, Hisense, and Samsung are better buys. But when it comes to picture quality, Sony is at the top due to their ability to recreate reference more accurately than their peers. It is the reason I only buy Sony TVs.

Mister Wolf

Yep, HDTVTest covered this too.

Folks need to stop drawing conclusions based purely on spec sheets and trust their eyes more. And they should look at direct comparisons of shots in challenging sequences so they can see the strengths and weaknesses inherent to the different technologies, and make an informed decision based on what they value more.

When it comes to value, TCL, Hisense, and Samsung are better buys. But when it comes to picture quality, Sony is at the top due to their ability to recreate reference more accurately than their peers. It is the reason I only buy Sony TVs.

If my money is right in 2024 I'll probably buy their 2024 flagship Mini LED.

Mister Wolf

"There’s no perfect display device, admits Sony Distinguished Engineer Toshiyuku Ogura, but he seems to believe that Mini LED has the greatest potential, when it comes to colour volume, brightness and viewing angle."

Meicyn

Gold Member
If my money is right in 2024 I'll probably buy their 2024 flagship Mini LED.
Yeah, I seriously contemplated that X93L but a few folks got to see Sony tech behind closed doors and allegedly some big improvements are on the way for 2024. Hopefully we see something at CES on January 9th.

Mister Wolf

Yeah, I seriously contemplated that X93L but a few folks got to see Sony tech behind closed doors and allegedly some big improvements are on the way for 2024. Hopefully we see something at CES on January 9th.

I expect them to do the same thing for us Americans as they did this year. They will provide the X95L in 65" format and call it something else with probably some software improvements. The true hardware successor will be relegated to only larger sizes.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I expect them to do the same thing for us Americans as they did this year. They will provide the X95L in 65" format and call it something else with probably some software improvements. The true hardware successor will be relegated to only larger sizes.
Honestly I’d be fine with it as I truly wanted an X95L. But I can’t justify an 85” screen while sitting 10 feet from the TV. 75” is the size I need as I was living in a different house when I bought my current 65” X950H. Still looks great even now since it was the flagship model that year, but being 2 feet further back really affects the viewing experience.

Guess we’ll see! But I think you’re right, and it’s best to keep expectations in check.

Top Bottom