• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5G

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So I have a 5G phone and obviously there's 5G in my area. I've been with it at least a year.

Whether it's browsing the internet or downloading a file, I noticed absolutely no difference between my phone and my dad (who I caregive for) 4G.

In fact at times my phone actually seems slower.

I'm using the same browser and everything. My dad's phone is about 5 or 6 years older than mine at least, maybe more.

I don't understand but I was told 5G was fast. I was told it was significantly faster than 4G and yet I'm getting speed that are equivalent to 4G and sometimes even seems slower.

My phone shows 5G and it shows full bars.

I don't know folks.

Last edited:
4G is plenty fast enough for me and it doesn't murder my battery. I have a 5G phone as well but never enabled it since new. Don't see the point IMO

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
In some areas, telco carriers are falsely showing 4G LTE as 5G on the phones. Apparently it's somehow legal for them to do so, as well. So maybe look into that. Might be getting that fake 5G.

Darkmakaimura

In some areas, telco carriers are falsely showing 4G LTE as 5G on the phones. Apparently it's somehow legal for them to do so, as well. So maybe look into that. Might be getting that fake 5G.
Yeah I guess I should mention that I'm with MetroPCS.

They're usually okay but when it comes to 5G, I'm not noticing anything different.

Whether that's the fault of MetroPCS or not I don't know.

Last edited:
5g-after-i-get5g-installed.gif

Shtef

I also have similar issues, with 4G I get around 90Mbits with 5G around 130Mbits, I was hoping that it would be much higher.

Drew1440

I've disabled 5G and stuck to 4G for now, mainly because I'm on the edge of 5G coverage and when I do get a decent signal, the battery drains faster.
Hopefully it'll be solved with the next generation of chipsets.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if you're just browsing you're not going to notice much difference. you might notice youtube videos load faster, downloading apps/songs etc will be faster but 4G is still more than enough for all that.

on 4G i was getting speeds of about <40Mb/s but with 5G i can get anywhere between 300-500Mb/s. so 5G is definitely a huge upgrade. that's faster than my internet at home lol. i get 200Mb/s.

the speed increase is welcome with 5G but i think it's more about bandwidth. in large cities you should be getting higher speeds on average compared to 4G. in crowded areas like concerts/sports matches you will have a better signal. these days so many things connect to the internet so really 5G is about trying to keep up with that.
I've disabled 5G and stuck to 4G for now, mainly because I'm on the edge of 5G coverage and when I do get a decent signal, the battery drains faster.
Hopefully it'll be solved with the next generation of chipsets.
i have an iPhone 12 Pro Max, which was the first iPhone to support 5G, and i use the Auto 5G setting. basically it only uses 5G when it won't drain the battery a lot. i haven't noticed any significant battery drain compared to 4G with that on. if there is a difference it's negligible. and according to my network i shouldn't have any 5G coverage and there is only meant to be outdoor reception in my area. so my 5G signal isn't the best.

5G is a bit pointless, unless you’re using it for large file streaming or downloading. Most of what we all do on our phones doesn’t need it.
4G is good enough for most people when using their phone but 5G is not just about making smartphones faster. it's about keeping up with technology. we're seeing a rise in smart/self driving cars, AI, and automation. some major companies are looking to make VR headsets the next big thing with the metaverse. Apple looks to replace the iPhone with a AR/VR headset within 10 years (by ~2033) and that will need a much faster connection. we really need the extra bandwidth that 5G brings to keep up with all the internet devices we have now.

so yeah 5G might seem pointless but the way we're going it'll quickly be normal and we'll start looking to 5GE and 6G.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't think that phones have fast enough chips to render webpages as fast as the connection allows. But if you need net for your notebook for example, it's great to have 5G : )

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Because carriers are using long range 5G towers. The tech is meant to have a mesh of lots of towers in order to maintain speeds, w/ connections only to phones close to the tower.

But you can also load up tons of people on long range 5G towers and slap a 5G on your signal and you are technically there.

Where I live my 5G gets like 500 megabit.

ShadowLag

5G is massively, massively faster than 4G - but that also comes with a huge increase in battery power usage and heat with phones. My iPhone 13 Pro by default only allows 5G in short bursts at which point it will automatically criss-cross between available 5G and 4G to prevent it from blowing itself up.

wVBEkLk.png

I think the client devices aren't really there yet for sustained heavy use of 5G.

Darkmakaimura

5G is a bit pointless, unless you’re using it for large file streaming or downloading. Most of what we all do on our phones doesn’t need it.
Nope. Even when I download a large file or stream, it doesn't go any faster than 4g. I was watching Obi-Wan Kenobi andn my video was constantly buffering to the point where I was getting really annoyed.

And any file that's over 200 MB takes forever on my phone here to download. Again, I'm at 5G with full bars.

I kind of wish I never bought the stupid phone I'm just stuck with another budget 4G phone.

kraspkibble kraspkibble see my post here. Even downloading or streaming it's just as slow as 4G for me.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Nope. Even when I download a large file or stream, it doesn't go any faster than 4g. I was watching Obi-Wan Kenobi andn my video was constantly buffering to the point where I was getting really annoyed.

And any file that's over 200 MB takes forever on my phone here to download. Again, I'm at 5G with full bars.

I kind of wish I never bought the stupid phone I'm just stuck with another budget 4G phone.

kraspkibble kraspkibble see my post here. Even downloading or streaming it's just as slow as 4G for me.
must be your phone or network then.

YCoCg

Until more relay towers/building points get put long distance 5G is going to be barely better than 4G. 5G is a big help in reducing latency too, which is one of the reasons why it drains a battery faster as it's pinging the signal at a higher interval compared to 4G.

Dr.D00p

I use 5G as my main internet connection for my PC, via hotspot.

Unlimited data & calls for $24pm

400-500Mbps download, depending on time of day.

All is good in my 5G world.

daveonezero

Banned
I use 5G as my main internet connection for my PC, via hotspot.

Unlimited data & calls for $24pm

400-500Mbps download, depending on time of day.

All is good in my 5G world.
And it is a smal small world.

I’ve been all over and haven’t had 5g close to that on my hotspot with T-Mobile.

5g is so pointless. 4g can get up to 100mbs.

And I’d rather have fiber or cable at home.

Dr.D00p

And it is a smal small world.

I’ve been all over and haven’t had 5g close to that on my hotspot with T-Mobile.

5g is so pointless. 4g can get up to 100mbs.

And I’d rather have fiber or cable at home.

I can get a full 1GB Fiber connection to my property if I want it, but I don't see the point, TBH. A wired 500Mbps package costs $50pm whilst going for the full 1Gbps, bumps that up to $65.

My 5G connection can do anything I need it to for less than half the cost, so why bother.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I haven't noticed a difference either. I hear it is mostly faster relating to latency, or something. I really don't understand it.

MachRc

pDTcpBQ.gif

5g on my phone on the left. My office Wifi.

my 5g isnt like 500mbps fast, but its faster than my wifi here at work.
To me, anything over 40mps is overkill for a potato.

Im not torrenting or downloading 40 gig files over my phone while streaming 5 seperate videos while remoting in my PC, at the same time playing xclooud. I never use it as an access point for other devices either.

Both connections feel identical.

lifa-cobex

I recently got a Samsung A53.
I usually stream music most of day so the phone lasts around a day or so on battery life.

Disabled 5G and got about a 40% increase in battery life.
I also see no difference in speed tbh

Same here. I was hoping youtube vids and stuff would insta load. Big time diminishing returns for my usage.

The speedtest numbers check out, but I just don't feel it in normal use.

Fbh

You need at last 4 covid shots to get the full signal.

But seriously though I think 4G is already good enough for the vast majority of uses you might have on a phone, so the extra speed of 5G might just feel like diminishing returns unless you are downloading big files or streaming games or something.

Neo_Geo

Banned
I just love seeing 5G on my phone, but still struggling to play anything on Youtube @ anything over 720p60. At least I can download app updates in half the time!!!

Fuck the cell phone companies for STILL throttling the fucking shit that we actually want to use 5G for.

Mshoaibi789

Neo Member
Is Samsung a good option when it comes to 5G, I Have A50 in the past but its connectivity was poor?
Can I trust S series for 5G.

3gHTWAy.png

The speed of 5G "Ultra Capacity" (this is T-Mobile's mid-band 5G, same as Verizon's "Ultra Wideband") is kind of stupid when I realize there is nothing I do on my phone that needs the speed of landline Internet. It's just to look good on Speedtest app and also suck my battery life for no actual useful improvements for me on my phone.

I just love seeing 5G on my phone, but still struggling to play anything on Youtube @ anything over 720p60. At least I can download app updates in half the time!!!

Fuck the cell phone companies for STILL throttling the fucking shit that we actually want to use 5G for.
You can bypass video stream throttling on mobile networks by using a VPN. The easiest way to do that is run the VPN server that's probably on your home router and just VPN through it.

Last edited:

Neo_Geo

Banned
Yeah, the Youtube throttling is literally the reason I got a VPN for my phone! Why the hell do they give us 5G speeds and the only things that seem to be at 5G speeds are speedtests and app downloads?

daveonezero

Banned
Yeah, the Youtube throttling is literally the reason I got a VPN for my phone! Why the hell do they give us 5G speeds and the only things that seem to be at 5G speeds are speedtests and app downloads?
It is all a farce. There is no content that needs this speed on a phone.

I can stream 1080p (my phones screen rez and why would you need a 5 in screen a higher res IDK) on 4g just fine pretty much all the time.
You only need 10mbs for youtube. Even less works.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It also depends on WHERE you're at because the further away you are from a 5G tower, the slower your data is. Maybe that's why you only get speeds akin to 4G LTE.

TVexperto

how the fuck is taht even lega..i dont understand

AJUMP23

5g is great if you are near a millimeter wave tower. Otherwise the low band 5g that most of us have is just a bit faster than what we had with 4g. I like faster data so that is cool.

Top Bottom