• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6.9 Earthquake Rocks Northern Japan East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mully

CNN.

CNN)A powerful 6.8 earthquake struck off the coast of Japan, the U.S. Geological Survey said on Monday.

The quake's epicenter was 77 kilometers (48 miles) east-northeast of Miyako, Japan, USGS said.

It was 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) deep and occurred at 6:06 p.m. ET.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said there was no tsunami threat from the quake. The Japan Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami advisory, warning of strong currents, but said no tsunami damage was expected.

No Tsunami?

Interesting.

8JhC5wU.png

Looks like the tsunami ended up hitting land at 10cm high. What a relief.

I didn't feel this one despite its magnitude.

I live on the western coast of Japan and I saw dozens of waves higher than that just on the drive to work this morning. Every day since winter started, really. My home and workplace are a..45 second walk from the ocean? So I'm always worried about the possibility of a serious tsunami, but there's a mountain right behind me so I guess I could just run up that thing.

I live on the western coast of Japan and I saw dozens of waves higher than that just on the drive to work this morning. Every day since winter started, really. My home and workplace are a..45 second walk from the ocean? So I'm always worried about the possibility of a serious tsunami, but there's a mountain right behind me so I guess I could just run up that thing.
There's some kind of storm front out today which would explain the extra wage activity. Your concern however was justified. Tsunami aren't to be underestimated anymore.

Mik2121

Good thing it wasn't too bad (or so it seems).

I went to Yahoo News and had to scroll a little bit to see it, it wasn't the main feature.
Hopefully everybody is safe. Obviously felt nothing here in Osaka.

Shouta

A 6.9 out that far shouldn't shake too much of Japan outside of the immediate Tohoku area. it apparently. 10cm Tsunami and Shindo 3/4 means it was just some shaking about the level of aftershocks just after the 2011 quake.

lupinko

A 6.9 out that far shouldn't shake too much of Japan outside of the immediate Tohoku area. it apparently. 10cm Tsunami and Shindo 3/4 means it was just some shaking about the level of aftershocks just after the 2011 quake.

I live in Sendai and I didn't feel anything.

Zoc

I didn't feel the one this morning (I'm in Sendai) but I've felt three pretty strong aftershocks today (last one just a minute ago).

lupinko

They reported Shindo 3/4 which is kind of YMMV, especially if you're sleeping, lol.

Ah ok.

I didn't feel the one this morning (I'm in Sendai) but I've felt three pretty strong aftershocks today (last one just a minute ago).

Yeah I felt those aftershocks and it was in class for 6th graders.

Godzilla must've stirred. It's scary to think our existence is at the mercy of a thin layer of rock above a volatile ocean of molten rock.

Tohoku is Gamera territory son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom