• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7.4 magnitude earthquake hits Ecuador's coastal region

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

BBC: "Ecuador earthquake: Death toll rises to 233"
At least 233 people have been confirmed dead after the most powerful earthquake in decades hit Ecuador, with rescue operations getting underway.

Some 10,000 troops and 3,500 police are being deployed in the affected areas.

NBC News: "Ecuador Earthquake: State of Emergency Declared After at Least 233 Killed"
The death toll from a powerful earthquake that shook Ecuador's northwestern coast soared to 233 Sunday and hundreds more were wounded, the nation's president said.

Ecuador was in a state of emergency Sunday after the magnitude-7.8 earthquake flattened buildings and ravaged towns Saturday just before 7 p.m. local time (8 p.m. ET).

"Thank you to the whole world for solidarity," President Rafael Correa said on Twitter after announcing 233 people were killed in the quake, which was a huge leap from an earlier death toll of 77.

"Our infinite love to the families of the dead," Correa said on Twitter, while cutting short a trip to Italy to return home.

Correa declared a national emergency, and said the tremblor was the strongest quake to hit Ecuador since 1979. He warned people to be careful to avoid fallen debris and poles and said some areas had lost power.

shagia

It gets very scary to think about these things, and it's disappointing to know that there's nothing to do besides have the prep available.

I woke up this morning to friend-shared article and saw that it was 40, I talked about it in a group chat and one of them actually corrected me to over 200, my jaw must have dislocated from how hard it dropped when I looked it up. I'm wishing the damn best for Ecuador.

Ugh, terrible. RIP to all those who lost their lives. Its dismaying seeing the toll rise so much.

It's so weird living in socal and knowing that one is coming and there's nothing to do but wait for the devastation.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Damn, that death toll really climbed. Hopefully it doesn't continue to rise. RIP to all the victims.

Ōkami

Telecomunications are down in some of the affected areas as radio towers fell with the earthquake.

Phone operators are giving free service so people may contact their loved ones, some of their networks are down though.

My brother is in Manta and he says the city is a mess, there's no phone signal nor internet.

Ōkami

President right now said official death toll at 272 a figure expected to rise, maybe significantly.

A truck with donated supplies was stolen on it's way to the affected areas, man fuck some people.

Ōkami

I really don't like updating this but.

New figures say death toll is over 480, over 4000 people injured. 800 buildings destroyed and 600 damaged.

There was also a 5.5 aftershock today as well.

Checking out multiple sources here, those above are CNN's numbers, data from a local news put things much worse.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Ōkami;201409890 said:

New figures say death toll is over 480, over 4000 people injured. 800 buildings destroyed and 600 damaged.

Checking out multiple sources here, those above are CNN's numbers, data from a local news put things much worse.

I hope the US sends help/relief.

Ōkami;201409890 said:

RIP, this is sad.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I watched the news on this. A man was in shock after the rescuers were able to pull his wife out of rubble alive. He just couldn't believe it. Man.

507 dead now, Im glad my country has people there helping search for survivors but morale lowers when you are only finding corpses. The whole situation is tragic.

Ōkami

Goverment posted a new official death toll, with breakdown for each city, which I'd rather not show, it ammounts to 587.

Powerfull aftershocks keep going, there was a 6.2 one earlier today with more still expected.

Ōkami

There was a new 6.8 aftershock today at 3am.

Some buildings damaged but no reported casualties.

Another aftershock minutes before this post.

Ōkami;204012685 said:
There was a new 6.8 aftershock today at 3am.

Some buildings damaged but no reported casualties.

Another aftershock minutes before this post.

Jesus, that's very strong for an aftershock.

Man this is so sad, stay safe, Ecuador-GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom