• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7.4 magnitude earthquake hits Ecuador's coastal region

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit :

Ōkami;201409890 said:
I really don't like updating this but.

New figures say death toll is over 480, over 4000 people injured. 800 buildings destroyed and 600 damaged.

There was also a 5.5 aftershock today as well.

Checking out multiple sources here, those above are CNN's numbers, data from a local news put things much worse.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/721496135479795712

The Associated Press @AP

BREAKING: 7.4-magnitude earthquake hits Ecuador's coastal region, according to USGS.

Link.

The earthquake, at 6:58 p.m. local time on Saturday, was centered just northwest of Pedernales, or 27 kilometers (17 miles) southeast of Muisne. It struck about 19 kilometers (12 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to seismologists.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami alert for Ecuador, warning of waves that could reach 1 meter above tide level. Tsunami activity is also possible along the coasts of Colombia, Costa Rica, Panama and Peru, but no major waves are expected there.

Juanfp

I am not in my country and this happens.
From what friend and families told me there is a lot of external structural damage and one bridge fell down in my city.

Tamanon

Banned
Mother-in-law called complaining about stuff falling off her shelf in Guayaquil, hope the damage isn't too severe closer to the epicenter.

Ōkami

I'm in Quito, quake lasted for over a solid minute, things are pretty calm here, though there are parts of the city with no power.

From Twitter it seems that big parts of Guayaquil and Manta are with no power as well, my brother is in Manta and supposedly people really freaked out over there.

Juanfp

Ōkami;201160350 said:
I'm in Quito, quake lasted for over a solid minute, things are pretty calm here, though there are parts of the city with no power.

From Twitter it seems that big parts of Guayaquil and Manta are with no power as well, my brother is in Manta and supposedly people really freaked out over there.

All the line are down in that zones (thanks the internet) and the control tower of Manta's airport fell down.

dextran

the-ring-of-fire.jpg

freaks me out how all connected it is

Ōkami

An overpass colapsing in Guayaquil seems like the biggest material damage from what I've read so far.

No building or house reported to have colapsed, and more importantly no casualties either.

Large parts of Guayaquil and some of Quito without power, apparently some transformers exploded.

Movement was felt in Colombia and Peru as well.

Gf's friends just went there for one of their birthday. They're fine but will have to figure out how to get home which may require going to Columbia or something to fly out

the-ring-of-fire.jpg

freaks me out how all connected it is

They may both lie on the 'Ring of Fire' but they are not on the same tectonic plates, or even adjacent ones. This earthquake is not on the same plate as the big 3.11 earthquake. It took place on the median tectonic line of the Nankai Trough. It is probably coincidental.

Joeytj

Banned
Looks like it will be very deadly, at least 16 confirmed deaths says the government. Powered being restored to the capital, Quito, but they're still assessing the full extent of the damage.

Black_Red

Wow, I know a 7.4 isn't that big, but I dont know if Ecuador is as prepared as Chile or Japan (both in the ring of fire)
I Hope everone is safe D:

Joeytj

Banned
Wow, I know a 7.4 isn't that big, but I dont know if Ecuador is as prepared as Chile or Japan (both in the ring of fire)
I Hope everone is safe D:

Was upgraded to 7.8 and was pretty shallow, meaning that it was especially intense for those who felt it.

MK_768

Worth noting that the Pacific Rim of Fire is very active nowadays. Last 5-7 years have been insane. Mexico, Japan, Indonesia, Chile, Ecuador all getting hit with massive Earthquakes. Meanwhile, the US west coast has been unscathed. That luck is gonna run out.

But when has this area endured so many 7.0+ Earthquakes in such a short amount of time like it has this decade? It seems unprecedented.

FStop7

Banned
When two large quakes on opposite sides of the plate happen back to to back is it considered possible that they're related?

Madao

the scariest thing about these earthquakes is the potential Tsunamis.

i live close to the coast in Panama so if there's a massive Tsunami caused by these, it'd be really bad.

MK_768

When two large quakes on opposite sides of the plate happen back to to back is it considered possible that they're related?

Not necessarily. But there has been a few pretty sizeable quakes this week. Also, the last several years have been very active. It's possible it's related and there is serious stress on the plates in the Pacific Ocean.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Heading to california in about a day and a half for work. Will be there two weeks. I have a feeling that i am in for something. Hopefully my hotels are strong

Socreges

Banned
Heading to california in about a day and a half for work. Will be there two weeks. I have a feeling that i am in for something. Hopefully my hotels are strong
To say the least, it is very unlikely that an impactful earthquake will finally hit California during the only two weeks that you are there. But of course it's hard not to think that way.

NateDog

This sounds awful, I hope all you guys and your families are OK but this sounds like quite a bad quake. Is the tsunami warning still in place? RIP those who've died.

Juanfp

I am more worry now for the aftermath. There were a few cities that were destroy a lot. And with the economical situtation of the country can't imagine how that people will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom