• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80-Year-Old Lady From Florida Looks to Reclaim Qbert Record

Flynn

Via Fark

The Story.

The Florida resident is headed to Croydon, England, later this month in search of a record Qbert score at the Classic Gaming Expo-UK.

Billy Mitchell said:
"Doris was the old lady who played Qbert," he recalled. "She was 58 years old, she was full of spunk. She was the old lady and we were all the wise-guy kids in the arcade and we got along great."

Mitchell helped Self get back in the gaming saddle again several years ago after a break, lending her an arcade version of Qbert. And when a 72-year-old New Hampshire man dethroned her as world champion, Mitchell convinced her to try again.

I'ma go ALL THA WAY 2 D @!#?@!'ing TOP! and they ain't nuttin' U MuTHABiTCHES can @!#?@!'ing DO 'bout it!

qbertrude0lc.jpg

There was a somewhat lengthy piece on this exact subject on some CBS news show tonight, and it was surprisingly well done! When the anchorwoman started talking about video games I braced myself and feared the worst, but the story ended up being really charming and sweet. It featured a lot of great footage of the classic arcade where the woman plays - she was shown playing on a cocktail Q-Bert, which I've never even seen outside of photographs, and a bunch of other semi rare classics (Satan's Hollow, etc) were easily visible in the background. I hope, though it's pretty doubtful, that someone got a recording of it and is willing to put it online, cause it'd be a great little clip to keep archived.

crunker99

At least it isnt crappy gaming news, this one is a bit more upliftiting. Let's hope she doent go into cardiac arrest if she breaks the record. Yikes.

Jim

Actual pic:

I think the machines are on loan from Billy Mitchell, that arcade champ guy also in that pic.

ToxicAdam

Fuck Q-bert. How many times did that little coily snake come after you, you hit your joystick to jump one way .. and then you jump right into the monster.

GODDAMNIT GIVE ME ANOTHER QUARTER MOM.

Jim

Actually.. you CAN hotlink from GA.. depends on which URL you are coming from.
www.ga-forum.com; forum(s).gaming-age.com, and the IP work.

If you're using new.ga-forum.com (what's the purpose of that, anyway), which I just realized some are using, you cannot.

Billy Mitchell gave her the machine. I saw it on CBS News as well and his even going with her to Britain to support her etc. What a nice guy.

Top Bottom