• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18-year-old arrested for pretending to be a doctor in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Measley

This kid strikes me as one of those types who thinks they're smarter than everyone else. I run across a lot of 15-18 year olds like that. He just won't admit that what he did was wrong and accept the consequences. Where are his parents in all of this? Did they just sit back and allow him to do this?

He's going to get the book thrown at him if he keeps this up. He should have taken the plea deal.

He could pretend to be the prison doctor.

Hell if he goes to a for-profit prison they'll probably make him the doctor.

I wonder if he could argue that. Bid for a commuted sentence under the condition he enrolls in school to pursue becoming an actual doctor.

There's no way in hell any medical school would ever accept him. He could try for a premed undergrad, but something tells me he'd fail the first weeding out chem class.

I hope he gets far more than three years. What a scumbag.

Stealing from old people? Pretending to be a doctor can get someone killed.

He won't listen, he won't learn. Maybe some consequences will humble Mr Wizard...

3 years in prison and 5 year probation seems like he is getting off easy no? Pretending to be a doctor and giving out medical advice could have severe consequences.

Quite the opposite. When white rapists can 6 months and probation or run over people and kill them and get no jail time, 3 years for impersonating a doctor seems like way too much. But he's not white so he'll probably get 8 years.

Woetyler

image.php

I've got way too little information to know whether the plea deal seems appropriate.

Does he have any serious mental illness? Is he sincerely remorseful? What is the extent of actual harm he caused to others vs. mere risk of harm he created? (Yes, putting others at risk of harm is worthy of punishment. But there's a reason we treat mere drunk drivers differently than drunk drivers who in fact injure others.)

Without knowing more, I've got know idea whether three years in prison is fair. It might be way, way too much. Heck, it might not even be the right kind of solution.

3 years in prison and 5 year probation seems like he is getting off easy no? Pretending to be a doctor and giving out medical advice could have severe consequences.

if a PD can get you 3 years + 5 probation, you definitely want a better lawyer, they should be able to get you straight probation.

dude legitimately seems to be mentally ill though.

Sorry he needs to go to jail especially when he doesn't seem remorseful at all. If he actually seemed like he wanted to atone for his crimes, I could understand a shorter prison sentence and more probation , but now I hope he gets thrown in for long time.

I wonder if he could argue that. Bid for a commuted sentence under the condition he enrolls in school to pursue becoming an actual doctor.

You want a kid who "treated" patients without a license to actually obtain a license in the ridiculous field of naturopathy and then go back to seeing patients?

This dude is an insult to whatever shit medicine he attempted to practice.

Considering he examined people who had no idea he was not a professional, which is completely violating a person and is disgusting, him getting 3 years is him getting off easy.

Carcetti

3 years seems harsh for a plea deal where no one was actually killed.

A fake doctor is a potential casualty every time someone goes to be their patient. Some professions have to be protected from fraud because otherwise lives are in danger. Harsh sentencing is a must here.

Raxus

A fake doctor is a potential casualty every time someone goes to be their patient. Some professions have to be protected from fraud because otherwise lives are in danger. Harsh sentencing is a must here.

Yep. Just because nobody was harmed directly doesn't mean it isn't a serious crime with very serious implications for the future. Fraud. Undetected health problems. Etc.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't get it... Unless I'm missing something, he wasn't claiming to be an actual medical doctor, but a 'hollistic alt. healer" or whatever. So why would he even need any kind of license to do what's essentially a make pretend medicine? A guy selling healing herbal teas or whatever, doesn't need a medical license.

Mrbob

Throwing this teen in jail isn't going to do any good long term. He needs mental health rehabilitation. Get him the help he really needs.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm struggling to see how they can get Leo DiCaprio to play him in the movie version without causing one hell of a shit storm...

Ovid

I don't get it... Unless I'm missing something, he wasn't claiming to be an actual medical doctor, but a 'hollistic alt. healer" or whatever. So why would he even need any kind of license to do what's essentially a make pretend medicine? A guy selling healing herbal teas or whatever, doesn't need a medical license.
If I remember correctly he added M.D. to his name and claimed it was a mistake.

FroJay

Banned
Throwing this teen in jail isn't going to do any good long term. He needs mental health rehabilitation. Get him the help he really needs.

To get help most of the time you have to actually want help. He doesn't seem to want help, he seems to want to charge people large sums of money while claiming to be something he's not. This shit could only happen in Florida, where everything's so lax and people are oblivious. Yikes.

Throw him in jail, he's wasted enough people's time and money. When he gets out.....he can go to med school.

What a douche canoe, cashing in people's cheques(I'm Canadian dammit!) and giving medical advice without a license. My favourite line is
“I’m hurt because of all of these allegations,” Love-Robinson told WPBF 25 News as he was being led away in handcuffs, “but this is not the first time I have been accused and I will pursue this, and when I do, you will be the first to know.”

Read the whole thread and see the pictures at his practice. He claimed to be an MD and PhD.

RBH

The Palm Beach County teenager accused of practicing medicine without a license and stealing from a woman's bank account now has a new lawyer and a new trial date.

Malachi Love-Robinson, 19, will have defense attorney Leonard Feuer in his corner when he fights a dozen charges in a high-profile trial slated to start with jury selection on September 6th.

Love-Robinson is charged with two counts of practicing medicine without a license; two counts of practice of naturopathy without a license; three counts of forgery; two counts of grand theft from a person 65 or older; and three counts of fraudulent use of personal identification information. These charges are punishable by up to 70 years in prison.

Prosecutor Rachel has extended a plea offer of three years in prison and five years probation, but Love-Robinson has not expressed any interest in taking it, clearing the way for a trial.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-teen-doctor-new-trial-date-20160623-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom