• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A good case for why GoG should always be your first choice if you want to buy PC games

Remember their stupid prank?

Bokmkv6.png

It was down for three days, you could not even download your games. They relaunched with Baldur's Gate, which was a really big deal, but the prank and the apology tour were so fucking shitty...

Drizzlehell

Banned
Remember their stupid prank?

Bokmkv6.png

It was down for three days, you could not even download your games. They relaunched with Baldur's Gate, which was a really big deal, but the prank and the apology tour were so fucking shitty...
Holy shit, I somehow missed all of that. Was it really a prank, though? Something tells me that they wouldn't just shut down the whole business for three days for a simple prank, lol.

Holy shit, I somehow missed all of that. Was it really a prank, though? Something tells me that they wouldn't just shut down the whole business for three days for a simple prank, lol.

Unfortunately they did and it turned into a confusing shitstorm. They tried to keep the prank running but mitigate the damage.
Then they did a dumb video with Marcin "sorry for bad Cyberpunk" Iwinski dressed as a monk atoning for his sins.
When the site came back it was barely usable because people were rushing to buy Baldur's Gate or download their games, just in case...
GOG is not making money so who knows what happens in the future...

Pejo

I honestly think that this kind of scummy crap should be grounds for an immediate refund. And I don't care how long I had this game on my account. This is not what I purchased in 2016.
Reminds me of the Skullgirls controversy a few months ago. I absolutely agree that the product you bought should always be available. Maybe Steam could do a "past versions" thing, but it'd be so tough to enforce.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I see what you're saying, and at the time you sound like a bunch of weirdos.

You lost me at the "A Hat in Time" entry.

Just pirate the game and put your shit in itch.io or something.
Please explain why Steam is better for these options.

I'm loving HoMM3 and stuff with mods through GoG so I wonder why you're hung up on some stuff.

EDIT:
I love how the greatest villains enteies for the Google Doc are the most based developers who are open to do stuff and receive feedback and execute.
Larian.
THQ
Devolver
I don't know what there is to dispute unless some of the entries are flat out wrong or outdated. Otherwise, it's all simple facts. If releases on GOG have less than Steam releases, it's fair to have them listed. What you think about certain publishers' willingness to do this doesn't change that.
Can you translate to me what the hell is this mess of a spreadsheet is even about?

I really hate spreadsheets, lol.

At glance it looks like a list of games that didn't get some updates that Steam did but then most of that stuff, or the games involved, are so surface level and unimpactful that I don't even think it would be worth giving up complete ownership over a DRM-free copy by buying those games on Steam over GoG. It's PC, you can always find a workaround for every problem and that's the beauty of it.

Plus you could make the same kind of spreadsheet for Steam releases, and it probably would be way longer than this one. Just last night, I bought Soul Reaver 2 on GoG and it worked flawlessly, while the Steam version that I attempted to get running a few months ago was so busted and refused to cooperate so much that it drove me to abandoning the game completely until I wanted to play it again yesterday.
I completely agree. Most of entries are things that are inconsequential to most, but it's a matter of perspective. If you do happen to be a German speaking Linux user that loves soundtracks, you're going to get a lot more out of it than someone that is interested in missing multiplayer and in-game content. If you can ignore the dramatic title, it can be a useful resource for one side of the choice between GOG and Steam. It's a valid resource, albeit bloated with no way of filtering down. Perhaps there's an opposite spreadsheet somewhere out there, although I usually just check Steam forums and PC Gaming Wiki if I check at all.

I get there feeling that as is the case with many community led projects it started with the intent of highlighting only the most egregious feature disparity but suffered from scope creep. If you look at the OP from the GOG Forum thread you can see some stand outs, like games that were never patched on GOG unlike elsewhere. That I think does more closely fit the sheet title if a game is neglected/forgotten entirely.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I don't know what there is to dispute unless some of the entries are flat out wrong or outdated. Otherwise, it's all simple facts. If releases on GOG have less than Steam releases, it's fair to have them listed. What you think about certain publishers' willingness to do this doesn't change that.
I watch some MandaloreGaming videos and he just emails GoG to get updates and patches added to games. Clearly this is in collaboration with GoG and the developers.
So has anyone emailed them asking for these updates?

Soodanim

Gold Member
I watch some MandaloreGaming videos and he just emails GoG to get updates and patches added to games. Clearly this is in collaboration with GoG and the developers.
So has anyone emailed them asking for these updates?
I need to check that out, that sounds good. I wouldn't have thought some dude asking was all it takes to allocate resources in a dev. I'd have assumed that GOG would have been included by default if it was an option instead of waiting until someone asks. But at least it gets done eventually.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Good I hate when they change my steam purchases that much or add launcher. On console, disc would save you.
On pc there are many choices. You can crack the game on steam but I would never do it. F them, I am not playing their games on pc anymore.
Same with gta4. They added rockstar launcher after 10 years to my old purchase. F them, I am avoiding their stuff on pc now

Top Bottom