• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Plague Tale Requiem stuttering on PC, is there any fix for this?

Greeting all,

I have a 4090 rig, i7 13700, 64GB ddr5 memory, and having a bear of time with A Plagues Tale Requiem and stuttering. Almost every time I turn the camera, pan, etc. the game just stutters. I've tried every setting I can think of to mitigate the issue but to no avail. Is this common with this game? It's pretty terrible on PC.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's not normal per se. When I had my 3080 the game ran pretty much flawless, and when DF tested it on 2xxx it didn't have stutters. But there was a bug on 4xxx cards however which sounds familiar to this. Surprised it's.still there. Try to turn off vsync and see what happens.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I have not, don't even know how to do that.
You can do it in bios or you can use something like process lasso (probably a bit more friendly to use). The game also seems to perform slightly better with hypethreading disabled if you have 6+ cores cpu.

RagnarokIV

I played with e-cores enabled on a 13600k and had no stuttering issues (I had a 3070 at the time). So I don't think it's a P+E core issue.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Is the game running at stable FPS or is it fluctuating and you don't have a VRR capable monitor/TV ?

Also, does it happen outdoors when the camera won't bump into things ? This game is known for having bad camera collisions indoors, when the camera bumps into walls or objects it looks like stuttering.

I have a similar rig (4090 FE, i7 13700K, 32GB DDR4) and I did not have stutter issues when I played (I did not disable e-cores nor disable hyper-threading).
I did not play since the big update adding RT shadows (just tried quickly but no stutter), I'll try tonight and see how it runs.

The game is heavy on CPU when there are many NPCs like in the first town, if you don't have a VRR monitor FPS should fluctuate a lot depending on where you are looking.
Enable DLSS3 Frame Generation to double FPS there and have a smoother experience.

Denton

I ran it vsynced to 60fps and it ran flawlessly, do not think I saw a single stutter. So try that I guess.

JeloSWE

Greeting all,

I have a 4090 rig, i7 13700, 64GB ddr5 memory, and having a bear of time with A Plagues Tale Requiem and stuttering. Almost every time I turn the camera, pan, etc. the game just stutters. I've tried every setting I can think of to mitigate the issue but to no avail. Is this common with this game? It's pretty terrible on PC.
I have this issue too with my 13900 and 4090. It's seems to be some thing with assets loading or caching. It's often connected to a specific view direction when you are rotating the camera with a controller. Or loading assets when moving about. People who play with a mouse probably don't notice the stutters as much as the camera isn't moving as smoothly as on a controller. It's probably just shitty optimization, focusing on consoles first and having PC as an after thought.

Also, what people call buttery smooth could still mean small camera jerks but they don't notice it.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
You can do it in bios or you can use something like process lasso (probably a bit more friendly to use). The game also seems to perform slightly better with hypethreading disabled if you have 6+ cores cpu.
Disabling hyper threading and disabling E-cores are two different things. Which is it?

Most games perform slightly better with E-cores disabled. Not totally sure the reason. Productivity stuff that is more neatly threaded benefit from e-Cores but more dynamic stuff like games don't.

T4keD0wN

Disabling hyper threading and disabling E-cores are two different things. Which is it?

Most games perform slightly better with E-cores disabled. Not totally sure the reason. Productivity stuff that is more neatly threaded benefit from e-Cores but more dynamic stuff like games don't.
Well, using e-cores shouldnt make any difference if thread scheduler was truly working correctly 100% of the time, but its not guaranteed and it happens sometimes. Plague tale is pretty CPU intensive so disabling them just ensures that it cant happen. Theres a few games who wouldnt even start with e-cores at one point, i think that list got so small that its just W40K gothic armada 2 now, but thats another topic.

As for hyperthreading, most engines dont really scale well just based on the core/thread count (one would expect 50% performance increase in entirely cpu limited scenarios from adding 50% cores, but its usually far less than that). Disabling HT prevents your system from using 2 threads on the same core, it just makes sure the game can only use 1 thread per core. 2 threads on one core will always end up performing worse than 2 threads on 2 separate cores. End result can be better performance, theres a few games who benefit from it, cyberpunk is one for example. You can take it one step further on amd systems with multiple CCDs.

Theres a few sites that test this, for example this test was done on the same cpu, just with various amount of cores/threads enabled. Its pretty clear the best way is to ensure you use the fastest threads rather than all threads.
A-Plague-Tale-Requiem-CPU-benchmarks.png

Its probably not OPs problem, but if everything else fails its worth a try. Its also possible he might be getting too many fps for the monitor and going out of vrr range, there were also some early issues with having vsync on and frame generation, but i believe those were fixed months ago.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Force Vsync in Nvidia. Lock framerate to 60 or 120 or Use RTSS to lock FPS. Most likely it's a bug. Do a clean install of drivers just in case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom