• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A severe RCE (Remote Code Execution) exploit found in Dark Souls 3 (and potentially Elden Ring)

GrayChild

nglqxx1zp6d81.png

That also happened during a Twitch stream (01:20:10 onwards):

Hopefully this gets patched, as it makes the game unplayable online.

My computer doesn't meet the min Win 11 requirements. At least the Hackers will make some pennies off my computer. I've not done a clean install in such a long time I bet 9 out of 10 bits moving through my system are remote code.

drotahorror

I was about to fire up Dark Souls 3 on PC a few months ago and I was looking for a 120fps mod.

I noticed that there's a couple of mods that are pretty much required to play DkS3 online on PC. They block hackers and several other things. Some of these hackers can get you banned just for them invading you, they can do other things to to fuck with your save file / character. Shit that'll make you want to restart the game.

Even then, the mods aren't hackerproof.

DkS3 online is a complete shithole on PC and apparently has been for a while.

Here's the main anti-cheat mod for PC - https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/723

w6rXgVy.jpg

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That’s so weird. The reason he got hacked was to exploit his play style? Because he spends 500 hours on a “dying game”? People are weird. It’s a wonderful game. These people are the odd balls making life harder than it is. I wonder when one of these people will get into serious trouble.

Who knows if they exploited it or if it’s a backdoor in Windows. Not everyone has a premium firewall service setup. It could be one of many things. Someone could have been a victim of cyber crime and they blame a video game for it. I see no other proof at the moment. It feels like a lot of paranoia.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Thanks. Now everyone knows about it... fucking hell.
Ima just get elden ring for ps5 I guess

j0hnnix

I'm so fed up with hearing about RCE vulnerabilities, spent 3 weeks working on log4j RCE issue. Sticking to my play through on PS as with previous history of Souls games. I think I only have DS on PS.. hopefully it's resolved soon for when the steam deck.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm so fed up with hearing about RCE vulnerabilities, spent 3 weeks working on log4j RCE issue. Sticking to my play through on PS as with previous history of Souls games. I think I only have DS on PS.. hopefully it's resolved soon for when the steam deck.
Even when it's working, Dark Souls on pc always had these "hackers" streams who used modified weapons that would change your stats and get you banned.... and ruin your save.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Even when it's working, Dark Souls on pc always had these "hackers" streams who used modified weapons that would change your stats and get you banned.... and ruin your save.
Yeah it sure is the worst. I never had problems with any other MP games I've played, but for some reason a lot of pricks are atracted to Souls games.

I was going to play offline anyways, as I don't like to even read messages on a first playthrough since I like going blind.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah it sure is the worst. I never had problems with any other MP games I've played, but for some reason a lot of pricks are atracted to Souls games.

I was going to play offline anyways, as I don't like to even read messages on a first playthrough since I like going blind.
True.
I always found Dark Souls 2 remaining community the best. Love these guys.
I still remember that red phantom dude. Dropped me like 60 humanities haha.

Helping strangers in Dark Souls 3 was awesome too !

v6ZAMcD.jpg

Last edited:

j0hnnix

I remember the save issue. Out of hand sadly.

ymoc

If I remember correctly, the community found a similar vulnerability months ago and contacted FROM, with no reply. This one finally caught attention.

The cheater problem has been present for a loooong time on PC and FROM abandoned their PC players to fend for themselves all this time. That's why the community has tried to manage it with anti-cheat mods, which help to fix the latest vulnerability too. The implications go beyond just DS3, since Elden Ring shares code and everything that can happen in DS3 can in theory happen in ER.

One thing is super sad though. Cheating I feel had been on a down-turn in 2021, but since like december it has gotten extremely bad. I can't go a single session without a cheater instant killing me or crashing my game anymore.
Why can't these losers just let the game die in peace with Elden Ring around the corner.

Kenpachii

Reason i don't buy japanese online games. Can't be bothered to try to tape there janky experiences together with mods.

Last edited:
Is Elden Ring cross play at all? If so, I’ll cancel my preorder until I know what’s happening. I don’t need this kind of crap in my life.

Top Bottom