• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen devs say they worry about the amount of soulslikes; think gamers still respond to RPGs like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring

Poordevil

I'm playing Elden Ring these days. I have a lvl 50 and I still honestly have no clue why I'm in this world. All I know is I am here to fight. Fight, die, retrive my runes. That is basically the gameplay loop. Exploring is a big part of the game too.
I think a huge area that is begging for improvement is a quest line. Engaging NPCs that can inject some meaning and purpose to all this exploring, killing and dieing. Simply a clone to From's formula is not what's needed. They have that gameplay down to perfection.
Maybe From will expand the current gameplay formula with the soon to come Elden Ring DLC. But I am not expecting it. I am expecting more of the same, only harder.

Bartski

Gold Member
It was Deck13 (The Surge 1 and 2), they were the ones that made the first Lords of the fallen game, this new game is being made by a new studio, it is their first game.
Not exactly. LotF 2014 was co-developed by CI Games, a Polish company that now owns Hexworks. Hence the name and probably plenty of devs on the team

TonyK

For me, one aspect that is important about From games is the small amount of cinematics and text. They are almost pure games, not playable books or movies like usually are western and Japanese RPGs. So I expect the same for Lords of the Fallen.

Uhh, Im not the biggest SoulsBorne fan, but Lords of the Fallen and Lies of P look like the best iterations of "knock offs". Lords of the Fallen has a game mechanic that does not exist in Souls games and the depth of combat looks more varied.
I thought the Lies of P demo was alright. I didn't really like the mechanic they added which was having to sharpen your weapons, sometimes even during combat.
I don't think soulsborne type games need other mechanics to worry about during combat.

PanzerCute

I plan to skip lords of the fallen, lies of p, steel rising, surge 1+2, etc . . . I can't even get through the From soulsborne games I have now. Why would I buy and spend time on the knock offs?
Some of them propose different ideas and have their own identity and flavour.

SteelRising for instance is much more Bloodborne than Dark Souls in its DNA, it has an incredible setting, a fully fledged story with a cristal clear storytelling, player choices, proper side quests and a real CRPG DNA. It kinda felt like Greedfall and Bloodborne made a child and I ADORED it.

Nioh, one of the first so-called Souls like, is also very different compared to the classic formula and I would say its more a mix between Diablo and Ninja Gaiden than it is a Souls like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom