• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A "Souls" Game But In Outer Space

I know the Souls games have all pretty much stuck with the medieval fantasy theme but I think it would be cool to see AAA Souls game that takes place in space. Like aboard some kind of space station or spaceship with alien threats.

A lot of people are going to point to that indie game Hellpoint which is the closest we have to that. But what I'm talking about is something that's more AAA and possibly being made by Hidetaka Miyazaki.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
There is a AA game that maybe came out (didn't know more about it) that is basically space horror soulslike... I had an eye on it but it suddenly banished, but it released afaik.

KàIRóS

LHZ7qrK.jpg
5UJMpkM.jpg

By the way, if you haven't tried helpline and you like the Souls games, you owe yourself to play it so why not give it a try?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Souls games rely on hand to hand. That makes it hard for space because in space you expect projectile weapons. You could do it, but you need something unique like a laser sword.

MagnesD3

Souls games rely on hand to hand. That makes it hard for space because in space you expect projectile weapons. You could do it, but you need something unique like a laser sword.
Martial Arts, Weapon Arts, Option Arts (like Gradius for your little machine buddy you keep with you), Temporal Arts (Space/Time manipulation). Your Chemistry stats let you craft up some nasty chemicals to throw. Dude it could be incredible. You'd be in a slow weighty astronaut suit with jetpack fuel for burst movement and a grappling hook for sling shot movement. Ah if only.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The Surge 2

It's good stuff. After that you have only the Star Wars: Jedi games but those are more like action-adventure games that happen to have a combat that resembles the souls-like, but in practice they're pretty easy games that also put a lot of focus on story and puzzles. It's a tough sell if you're looking for something that's exactly like Dark Souls but with a sci-fi theme. The Surge 2, on the other hand, is literally Dark Souls but in a futuristic cyberpunk setting with cyborgs and shit. It has very nice visuals and a couple of its own unique gimmicks that make it stand out, like limb-based damage and targeting. It's a really solid game and one of the few souls clones that's actually good and not just a cheap knock off.

Last edited:

Reyziak

Well, there is Hellpoint, a Soullike that takes place on a space station orbiting a black hole, and has special events depending on where the space station is positioned in relation to the black hole.

The Surge while being a Sci-Fi Soulslike, takes place on earth.

However I feel as though a proper Sci-Fi Soulslike should take inspiration from the manga BLAME!, and the other works of BLAME!'s creator.

Jedi has similar mechanics, but just goes to show you cannot have difficulty settings in a souls game. Nobody spends two hours learning that final boss in Sekiro if you can bump it down to easy and get it done.

Top Bottom