• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC: Valhalla |OT| From Nordic runes to English ruins

Ceadeus

Hopefully its not a new thing going forward. The loot was one of the best things about Origins and Odyssey.
I wonder if it was a time problem, involving covid, and not being able to make hundreds of assets for different armours etc. Or it could be just that Vikings kind all worse similar style of clothing, and not bronze and gold armours etc.

I've read Ubisoft did not want to be as grind heavy as the last two. It was indeed a good feature..

Stuart360

Did they state in some interview that you can go back to Norway anytime you want`?
I dont know, but its a good question. I think you may be able to, simply because i was watching Shroud play the game yesterday, and he went to the edge of the Norway map, and found a boss character in a cave that would instant kill you in 1 or 2 hits. Shroud tried multiple times but was getting killed instantly. It seemed obvious to me that its someone you are supposed to fight when you are much higher level. So that makes me think you can go back to Norway at some point.

Stuart360

I've read Ubisoft did not want to be as grind heavy as the last two. It was indeed a good feature..
I did notice in one of the videos that they had that Medusa/gorgon shield from Origins and Odyssey in the game, so hopefully there is at least some loot that can be found.

Ceadeus

I did notice in one of the videos that they had that Medusa/gorgon shield from Origins and Odyssey in the game, so hopefully there is at least some loot that can be found.

There will be but they are all unic and upgradable. They're simply more rare and meaningful finding instead of looting yellow stuff on common thugs, if I can say this. I can't wait to play though! Gonna buy it for one X first then upgrade to series X as soon as it gets back in stock...

I really wish these games' difficulty weren't based on an old-fashioned level system with artificially inflated damage/defense/etc., and instead were wholly based on the equipment the npc/player uses. I don't care if the enemy has a skull next to his name, if it takes me four full-body swings of a massive battle axe to down a guy who is only wearing cloth and chain mail, that's just going to irritate the fuck out of me. Likewise for the damage the player character receives. Maybe some day...

Last edited:

TheKratos

I really wish these games' difficulty weren't based on an old-fashioned level system with artificially inflated damage/defense/etc., and instead were wholly based on the equipment the npc/player uses. I don't care if the enemy has a skull next to his name, if it takes me four full-body swings of a massive battle axe to down a guy who is only wearing cloth and chain mail, that's just going to irritate the fuck out of me. Likewise for the damage the player character receives. Maybe some day...

In previous ACs you could at least turn off scaling but yeah you always had higher level enemies that could 2 shot your ass back to the loading screen.

Mista

Banned
I am kinda skeptical about getting it now. It releases the same day as a Yakuza

I want to play it because I love the setting but at the same time not sure about the PC performance nor the $68 weird price tag on EGS

Mista

Banned
I don´t care for any opinion apart from mine regarding everything, so i sure as hell won´t start caring now :D
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

tenor.gif

Ferdimage

I am kinda skeptical about getting it now. It releases the same day as a Yakuza

I want to play it because I love the setting but at the same time not sure about the PC performance nor the $68 weird price tag on EGS

Im on the same boat, PC performance is pretty bad for me on the last 2 AC games on release, then eventually got better through patches.
Yakuza on the other hand should be a smoother experience on PC, and kinda excited to play it as I really enjoyed the PS4 demo.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I love the setting. I plan to watch my wife play it as she loves the franchise. I was a huge fan back with Desmond and I’ve owned them all ever sense. After Desmond my excitement was not as invested into the plot.

martino

This combat is woeful. 10 mins to kill two low level enemies? Dreadful.
at least don't post hot takes like this when the videos in the quote you use make it effortless to make you look like an hyperbolic fool

Mista

Banned
Im on the same boat, PC performance is pretty bad for me on the last 2 AC games on release, then eventually got better through patches.
Yakuza on the other hand should be a smoother experience on PC, and kinda excited to play it as I really enjoyed the PS4 demo.
Watch Dogs Legion performance makes me worried about this one honestly

Its a joke though. Don't get over your head :D

No shit sherlock :D gettin more over it is hardly possible ;)

Edit: On topic though: Ubisoft performance in general but especially AC is basically a wip until the product doesn´t get supported and don´t even start on platform optimization. Seems to be an inherent problem with how they work or just a conscious decision to do so for whatever reason.

Last edited:

WakeTheWolf

One game I'm looking forward to. I know its Ubisoft who are known for generic open world woke games but I haven't had a proper viking game in a longtime. Does this unlock midnight on UPlay+?

Södy

One game I'm looking forward to. I know its Ubisoft who are known for generic open world woke games but I haven't had a proper viking game in a longtime. Does this unlock midnight on UPlay+?

Get Tunnelbear, set VPN to New Zealand and play now :)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm a big AC fan (got them all day one, most of the time gold edition, except Rogue because it was too late on PS3) and I don't like what I've seen so far. Will get one eventually.

Ubisoft Store - Delayed delivery for the digital content purchased via the Ubisoft Store
We are aware of delays in processing some orders. It may take up to 24 hours for your content to appear on the account.

If you are still missing your content after this amount of time, please let us know, and we'd be happy to investigate further!

Damn I wish I bought it on Epic

ZWq4E6v.jpg

MastAndo

Very early impressions since I'm probably done playing for the day, as the the VPN method to start up the game is messing with my work VPN, and it's all a bit of a headache. Anyway, yeah, it's definitely same-y so far, a few hours in. If you've played any of the previous two AC games, you pretty much know how you'll feel about this one. The world does seem a bit more cohesive so far in terms of optional content, but it still feels like icon chasing, even if said icons are now more nondescript.

None of this bothers me at all, as I loved Odyssey more than most, but I must say, the combat feels a bit...clunky? I know they're going for something heavier and more visceral, but I feel like I'm stuck in mud one moment, then zipping into a sliding animation the next, with frequent whiffs. Perhaps it's just growing pains from missing Odyssey's combat, but I think I preferred the frenetic pace of that one, over the more plodding and methodical combat here - though I fully understand why that design choice was made, thematically. It still feels a bit off, and I do think could benefit from some fine-tuning. Lastly, one more complaint is an even more personal one - I don't care for health/stamina management in a game like this, particularly when a very similar game managed just fine without it. Part of the appeal of Odyssey (to me at least) was that it was very aware it was a video game, and didn't take itself too seriously. Again, thematically, I get it - but looking for berries mid-battle isn't my idea of a good time. It's not an issue early on, but I feel like that might grow into a bigger point of contention as the difficulty ramps up later. Though then again, I'm not sure if any abilities exist that counter that.

Regardless, I'm sure I'll still have a blast putting 100 hours or so into this one. The world is just lovely. I'm eager to see where the story goes, and the adventures to be had on the way.

Oh, and performance wise - I'm hovering around 60 fps at all times (on a 60 Hz display) at 1440p with an i7-3700K and a 2080 Super at max settings (minus volumetric clouds). 4K chokes up my PC far too frequently for me to consider using it (and the difference isn't even that discernible to my eyes), though I may mess around with settings and resolution scaling later and give that another go. All in all, it's similar to the performance I got with Odyssey, not surprisingly.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Fuck the Uplay store. Preordered for PC today. Now they are saying it may take 24 hours for the game just to show up in my library before I can even preload it!!!

NEVER AGAIN Uplay absolutely unacceptable. I guess I should just cancel my order. Where are you all getting it on PC??

Very early impressions since I'm probably done playing for the day, as the the VPN method to start up the game is messing with my work VPN, and it's all a bit of a headache. Anyway, yeah, it's definitely same-y so far, a few hours in. If you've played any of the previous two AC games, you pretty much know how you'll feel about this one. The world does seem a bit more cohesive so far in terms of optional content, but it still feels like icon chasing, even if said icons are now more nondescript.

None of this bothers me at all, as I loved Odyssey more than most, but I must say, the combat feels a bit...clunky? I know they're going for something heavier and more visceral, but I feel like I'm stuck in mud one moment, then zipping into a sliding animation the next, with frequent whiffs. Perhaps it's just growing pains from missing Odyssey's combat, but I think I preferred the frenetic pace of that one, over the more plodding and methodical combat here - though I fully understand why that design choice was made, thematically. It still feels a bit off, and I do think could benefit from some fine-tuning. Lastly, one more complaint is an even more personal one - I don't care for health/stamina management in a game like this, particularly when a very similar game managed just fine without it. Part of the appeal of Odyssey (to me at least) was that it was very aware it was a video game, and didn't take itself too seriously. Again, thematically, I get it - but looking for berries mid-battle isn't my idea of a good time. It's not an issue early on, but I feel like that might grow into a bigger point of contention as the difficulty ramps up later. Though then again, I'm not sure if any abilities exist that counter that.

Regardless, I'm sure I'll still have a blast putting 100 hours or so into this one. The world is just lovely. I'm eager to see where the story goes, and the adventures to be had on the way.

Oh, and performance wise - I'm hovering around 60 fps at all times (on a 60 Hz display) at 1440p with an i7-3700K and a 2080 Super at max settings (minus volumetric clouds). 4K chokes up my PC far too frequently for me to consider using it (and the difference isn't even that discernible to my eyes), though I may mess around with settings and resolution scaling later and give that another go. All in all, it's similar to the performance I got with Odyssey, not surprisingly.

Regarding the vpn, can't you go into offline mode in uplay after the initial startup, and then just not use the vpn while playing?

Ferdimage

You aren't make this one easy for me mate ;p

I love the setting too! Might get it after I finish Yakuza

Enjoy!

Hey mate, good news the game benchmarked pretty well without updating my GPU drivers.
Graphics settings defaulted to Ultra High for my specs, only thing I turned off was Motion Blur.

I was actually expecting some bad performance since I'm still rocking an old i7 3770k @4.4ghz. 16gb 2400mhz DDR3 but combined with my RTX2080.

Just thought I'd share with you if it helps with your decision.

Last edited:

bargeparty

I'm not far in, but I'm confused as to why tracked quest markers don't appear on screen? I don't want to use the compass and previous games has this.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
As a brit I refuse to play this, they killed my grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand poppy :messenger_loudly_crying:
You mean your grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand poppy was actually named Bjorn.

So I spent an hour with it so far. Runs fairly well even on one of my weaker rigs in the house. I LOVED the intro and camera work they put into it. Lots of great looking environment stuff like snow sticking to clothes etc. So far the story elements are handled very well.

Combat is very Dark Souls feeling. Can’t say I’m thrilled with the way dual wielding works yet. Need to figure that out a bit more. But the shield and parry is nice. But honestly most of combat so far has been stealth and that feels way better than the last game. And you can drop a enemy with one shot from a huge distance with the bow. I hated the bow in the last game big time.

I played with both the male and female character. The man is a bit soft spoken for a Viking badass. The female is Kassandra for better or worse, that’s up to you. Again for me it comes off way too forced and over the top I guess. I’ll have to jump in and out of each a bit more to see which I’m sticking with.

Getting around 80fps on high settings at 1080p with a 1070 and 3700x (going to test my 2070s/9700k system in the morning at 1440p)

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Mista

Banned
Hey mate, good news the game benchmarked pretty well without updating my GPU drivers.
Graphics settings defaulted to Ultra High for my specs, only thing I turned off was Motion Blur.

I was actually expecting some bad performance since I'm still rocking an old i7 3770k @4.4ghz. 16gb 2400mhz DDR3 but combined with my RTX2080.

Just thought I'd share with you if it helps with your decision.
I appreciate it a lot. Looks like I’ll be going in!

Top Bottom