• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC: Valhalla |OT| From Nordic runes to English ruins

Sleepwalker

69b868273c05611f0fc8182188af1581.png

This is literally my PC, except for 32gb ram instead of 16. I assume this game will run better on my PC than the next gen consoles? Still unsure which platform I want to play it on. My monitor is 1440p and I don't have a 4k tv anyway

NickFire

I'm on the fence for this one. I haven't played one of these entries for a while, but I had some fun with a couple of them. From what I am reading it is moving more to open world rpg and away from stealth a bit. For me personally this is good, because I generally suck at stealth games and lose interest eventually. Another huge plus is the setting - really good choice after a few years of the Vikings TV show IMO. The main con is cost. Not the cost of the game per se, but the pending costs of upgrading console, accessories, and if I want the full experience the TV and surround sound too. These costs are making me very finicky right now, so I'll probably pass until its dirt cheap on sale.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Man this is pretty good

runs great on my laptop.

Last edited:
Been playing it awhile today on X1X. The performance is not great and there is a bit of screen tear but certainly not unplayable.

The game starts strong and I'm really enjoying it so far. Looks to be a lot less busywork and the side-quests I've done so far have been fairly quick but interesting - exploring is worthwhile again after being completely pointless in Odyssey.

The combat is still not amazing but feels less floaty than Odyssey and is pretty satisfying I'd say. Voice acting is obviously very subjective but I'm finding it much better than Odyssey which sounded like a spoof a lot of the time.

Anyhow waiting on XSX to see how much of an improvement it is at ~60fps.

DeaDPo0L84

I put over 100 hours into Odyssey, played a couple hours of Valhalla and it's doing nothing for me. Playing on a rtx 3090fe with a 38" ultrawide and it looks great, holds around 85fps but will drop to around 60-70.

At work currently and strongly considering a refund though, it feels like a reskin honestly.

I only played a bit (just got the boat) but damn this nails the Vikings mood so far. Looking forward to the transition to The Last Kingdom :messenger_fire:
I really like the main guy's voice and delivery.
The modern day cunts are as annoying as ever.

guzrog

Neo Member
Been playing it awhile today on X1X. The performance is not great and there is a bit of screen tear but certainly not unplayable.

This was my experience as well on the X1X. I ended up refunding it after an hour. It just felt and unoptimized. Janky for lack of a better word. I’ll wait until I get a series x and maybe pick it up again on sale. For context I had zero issues with odyssey on my one x.

niilokin

what a great fucking game, the setting and mood is perfect. what I dont like is the adhd combat, i put walking speed to 10 and now toggle walking inside houses and villages so Eivor doesn't run on tables like a hooligan.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I readed that hdr on pc looks better if you turn on hdr on windows but you turn off the hdr in the ingame settings, i'm gonna try later if it's true

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
With destiny 2 shitting the bed (who would have thought they would fuck up yet again) looks like I’ll be playing more of this tonight.

Really enjoying it so far

I saw a video saying the Series X doesn't hold 60fps. The fact a next gen console can't play a last gen title at 100% performance isn't filling me with confidence for the future. What about the next AC game that isn't held back by last gen consoles? Worse performance?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, this Ubisoft downloader is slow as shit for me. Only getting 3 ~ 4 MB/s.

ClosBSAS

man the OST is lit as fuck. it started weak and got strong pretty fast the intro. At first i was like meh, then i put my first armor on and i was like fuck yeah...this is why i love this series.

also, 60fps on 1440p 2080 super.

Last edited:
Guys. I bought the game on One X. Played for 2 hours and already started to get bored. After playing Odyssey for 300 hours, this felt pretty much same. So i immediately went to My Microsoft Account and clicked on refund. I submitted refund and aftrr 1 hour i get email my refund is accepted and i get money back in 2-3 days.

But now thing is i have my Xbox in offline and i can still launch and Valhalla. So i plan to complete the game by staying offline and play entire game for free. Game working fine and im able to play in offline mode :)

Am i an asshole for doing it? Im sick of Ubisoft copy paste game design. So i think they deserve it :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Guys. I bought the game on One X. Played for 2 hours and already started to get bored. After playing Odyssey for 300 hours, this felt pretty much same. So i immediately went to My Microsoft Account and clicked on refund. I submitted refund and aftrr 1 hour i get email my refund is accepted and i get money back in 2-3 days.

But now thing is i have my Xbox in offline and i can still launch and Valhalla. So i plan to complete the game by staying offline and play entire game for free. Game working fine and im able to play in offline mode :)

Am i an asshole for doing it? Im sick of Ubisoft copy paste game design. So i think they deserve it :)

Definitely an asshole. Hopefully they are tracking your data and reverse your refund after you go back online.

Hinedorf

Banned

I am right with you in that I played the hell out of AC Odyssey and I've had a rule to only play every other AC game as they never really grow that much, I've seen 2 people same the same thing in this is an Odyssey skin.

That being said....Odyssey was the best AC game by a mile, it's probably worth the cost and must be something if even if it's just a skin you're playing the story, if you're going to play it through might as well pay otherwise if it's just a copy, skip it. I'm determined to wait for a sale though I'd prefer it through Steam not Ubi

Last edited:

scalman

Just started. Loving it . Great story too. Fighting feels much better slower movements less arcady i guess. Dual axes just best thing. Hunting is great no autoaim so you need to aim properly. Game looks great . Gtx 1060 laptop on 1080p most high very high just volumetric clouds and shadows medium. Rest maxed. No problem running it smooth enough.

Burger

Playing on PC at 60+ fps is a transformative experience compared to Odyssey on PS4Pro. I imagine PS5 will be a similar experience.

Odyssey on PS4 was... I don't know but that machine really struggled. Loading times were insane, the game regularly froze as it couldn't stream the assets fast enough. It could sometimes take 10 or more seconds for the LODS to cycle from lowest to highest as you stood next to some statue. I really liked the game, 50 odd hours but I couldn't finish it as the poor performance really annoyed me. Just getting to the map and going through the inventory was slow. You couldn't let your bird view get too far away from your character otherwise it had to do more loading to switch back to Kassandra. UBI went too far.

cormack12

Gold Member

I don't think it realyl matters. You're limited in what you can do while the box is offline but if you unlock trophies they'll be able to see quite easily I guess. You might get away with it, you might not.

Spaceman292

Banned

May as well just pirate it at this point. Got nothing against that honestly.

Burger

One thing that jumps out is how fucking rich everyone seems to be. I thought this was the 9th century or so? People didn't leave sacks of apples lying around, or coils of rope. Rope was an extremely valuable commodity in medieval England! English peasants were filthy and poor. They had nothing. They didn't sleep in beds, their houses were made of sticks and mud, and the main thing they did was farm. If you owned a chicken you were lucky. Owning a cow meant your babies were less likely to die of starvation. Everyone here seems to live like a king.

mitchman

Gold Member
One thing that jumps out is how fucking rich everyone seems to be. I thought this was the 9th century or so? People didn't leave sacks of apples lying around, or coils of rope. Rope was an extremely valuable commodity in medieval England! English peasants were filthy and poor. They had nothing. They didn't sleep in beds, their houses were made of sticks and mud, and the main thing they did was farm. If you owned a chicken you were lucky. Owning a cow meant your babies were less likely to die of starvation. Everyone here seems to live like a king.
Yeah, it's almost as if it was a game!

Last edited:

scalman

so leveling on enemies gone, wow best new feature for me or that its gone at last, now just stealth and shoot bow to anyone, to head one shot dead, simple and thats how it must be. loving it first hrs .. exploration much better then odysey because no more those side quests go there kill all sharks come back, no more those. still plenty of exploring

Imma chime in by saying that I enjoy this game a lot more than I thought I would. Playing on PS4 Pro, the game looks not as good as Odyssey imo. Especially the character models look like a downgrade. Also the HDR is kinda borked. Grey is apparently the new black. Could be the dreaded artistic choice tho. I dunno. Apart from that I'm looking forward to play this on my PS5 next week. 60fps is a must for those weak point bow shots.

Burger

Yeah, it's almost as if it was a game!

What like super mario brothers? It's based in real life - but there are also mushroom people?

I'm not saying I'm not enjoying it - it just stands out. It's based in real life - but only in the sense that people have 2 arms and 2 legs, and that Vikings were once real.

I understand these are creative decisions, but I'm not sure how it makes the game more appealing.

diffusionx

Gold Member

You are not just an asshole but a liar and a thief.

I honestly think they did a very good job with this one. Don’t remember the last time I enjoyed Assassins Creed! Maybe Origins but Valhalla is topping it already
The bolded made me laugh, sorry. So... The last time you enjoyed an assassin's creed was... 3 years ago? Lol

scalman

Still in norway doing all exploring taking all money all books just what its possible to find there until i go away, so still there and with allready some 5-6 hrs

If there is the possibility to exploit such a loophole, go for it. Taking advantage of situations like this is always an competitive edge, even if its just the money you saved - but that turns out to be the only thing that matters anyway.

Boneyblaff

About 5 hours in on Series X and enjoying it quite a bit. Only real negative, and it's a big one, is the screen tearing during cutscenes. Hoping that a future patch can help solve the issue, but it's not enough for me to stop playing it. I skipped Origins / Odyssey so I'm thinking that may be why I'm liking it more than others.

Oberstein

The thread has less pages than the "ableist text" polemic. Lol?
No trend yet on Valhalla between crappy and buggy game or worthy successor to Black flag.

Top Bottom