• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 6: Spirit Of Justice coming this September to NA/EU, digital-only

septicore

As expected, this would be digital-only for the localisation copy.

I hope they'll include those sweet alternative costumes in this copy.

Day one as always for the AA series.

L00P

latest

(my money)

dity

Oh nice. When I first was watching the trailer I thought it was for that spin-off game in feudal Japan- but nope!

Hyped. Isn't this the one Maya is supposed to come back in too? Or am I misremembering?

Kevinroc

Oh nice. When I first was watching the trailer I thought it was for that spin-off game in feudal Japan- but nope!

Hyped. Isn't this the one Maya is supposed to come back in too? Or am I misremembering?

Yes, this is the one that brings back Maya.

And she's a defendant in a murder case again!

Elios83

Great news, hopefully the game is much better than Dual Destinies which was so boring that I forced myself to finish it.

If it's digital only, I won't buy it.

Simple as that. I'm still waiting on AA5 to be released physically and I will wait until I'm long dead for it, too. Shame, because Ace Attorney was one of my favorite franchises in existence. But not even it can be spared from being dropped like a rock due to a digital only release.

yami4ct

Awesome!

Is there a reason why The Great Ace Attorney isn't being localized?

No official comment as to why. I have to imagine the historical setting plus the fact it doesn't directly tie to the AA cast is making Capcom leery about its sales potential. It already sold not all that well in Japan, so that probably didn't help.

Simple as that. I'm still waiting on AA5 to be released physically and I will wait until I'm long dead for it, too. Shame, because Ace Attorney was one of my favorite franchises in existence. But not even it can be spared from being dropped like a rock due to a digital only release.

I'm the same, but I'm happy for the fans of the franchise, at least they get them.

You can always get AA5 on iOS if you are that paranoid about losing your game if your system is stolen/lost/broken.

Champion

I'm hyped but digital-only means I'll wait for a sale. I'm in no rush either since ZE3 and DQ7 are right around the corner.

You can always get AA5 on iOS if you are that paranoid about losing your game if your system is stolen/lost/broken.
I'm not. At least, that's not the first reason on the books of reasons why I don't do digital gaming.

If it's not on my shelf, it might as well not exist.

That's reason number 1 with a huge flaming font.

I'm the same, but I'm happy for the fans of the franchise, at least they get them.
I want to be, but it's impossible for me to not feel bitter about it. Trials and Tribulations is the only video game that has impacted me to the point of literal crying, so the series has a very special place in my heart. Really sad that they had to contradict me in the worst of ways, but I am an individual of principle so I can't let it slide.

Extraordinarily bummed out about Fatal Frame, too, I went ballistic when it was announced in the Nintendo Direct... and then when it was announced to be digital only, I dropped my excitement into disgust instantly.

I'm sorry but if I had a favorite franchise that went digital only, I would not let that stop me from playing it.

FluxWaveZ

Bye, then. The series is at the point where Capcom will release it in the West either digitally or not at all due to its niche status and presumably low sales numbers. Most fans will take a digital release rather than nothing.

ZeroX03

Banned
The idea that the medium in which the game is delivered is more important than the game itself is something that will never make sense to me.

Anyway there's a thread now for people who are physical or bust, go there to lament and petition.

t26

You might as well as treat it as a $30 rental for your favorite game. I mean your probably wasted $30 on dumber or more useless things over the years.

Nachos

Awesome!

Is there a reason why The Great Ace Attorney isn't being localized?
The reason right now is that there's only one team for translating the AA games. They were too preoccupied with 6 to do anything else. As for why they chose the game they did? Nothing definite, but it's easy to guess a few reasons. I think people are really overstating the widespread appeal of anime Sherlock Holmes and Watson's pink-haired daughter.

Bye, then. The series is at the point where Capcom will release it in the West either digitally or not at all due to its niche status and presumably low sales numbers. Most fans will take a digital release rather than nothing.
I've already mourned and processed my feelings long ago. I understand most fans would take a digital release, but that's fine. Everyone has their priorities and that's cool! My voice is being spoken over by those who disagree with me and that's just how it goes. I'm a sore winner, but I ain't no sore loser :p

The idea that the medium in which the game is delivered is more important than the game itself is something that will never make sense to me.

Anyway there's a thread now for people who are physical or bust, go there to lament and petition.
The medium of the game isn't more important than the game itself. The medium of the game contributes to the overall experience of the game. Games don't exist in vacuums for me, and there are many aspects of art and products that are enhanced due to context. The act of going out of my way to buy something, opening the box, smelling its contents, putting it on my shelf in alphabetical order, stroking its spine routinely, etc is ritualistic and a part of the incredible experience of video games.

If a game doesn't adhere to that, then I don't buy it, pretty simple. There are hundreds of other games that are out there that I haven't played that are, it's not like I'm hurting for more video games. AA6 is digital only, I'm upset and mumble about boycotting, and life moves on. It's all good.

You might as well as treat it as a $30 rental for your favorite game. I mean your probably wasted $30 on dumber or more useless things over the years.
Owning something is part of my enjoyment, I never want to rent or borrow anything ever again. After I consume, it's immortalized in my collection for the rest of my life. That's what I love seeing.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Nice to see it coming in the west even though it's only digital... I'll wait for a sale to get it like I did for AA5 recently.

This recommendation is pretty hilarious considering that several iOS games were just outright wiped from Apple's database with no option to redownload them (like Bioshock). You'll get your eShop-stuff back even when you lose your 3DS.

And I have to question how much of an AA fan someone was in the first place, if they outright refuse to support the series because of some dumb principles (Dual Destinies was literally below 15 bucks on sale several times, there is no excuse)

Joqu

Well, it didn't in Japan. Was sadly among the worst selling AA games.

This is true, but they do much better in Japan in general though. The point is that they've made it such a niche series in the west, I think there's enough of a dedicated fanbase now that those numbers wouldn't change much between AA6 or TGAA.

DS piracy was fair rampant tho.

Especially on games like AA and Layton, where people who hadn't tried the series wouldn't want to drop the money on a game that is just reading/puzzles. I wouldn't be surprised if the piracy of Layton was within the top 10 DS games. (This is just speculation of course)

I think I'll wait a couple of years to see if it comes to mobile like Dual Destinies did (which I really wish I had waited for).

mrmickfran

I wonder if we'll get free $30 eShop credit for having Fire Emblem Fates and SMT4: Apocalypse, which would allow us to get this for free.

This seems all too familiar.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
September? Man, I only have 4 months to go through PLxPW and AA5. Need to hurry, but I also want to enjoy each game and not get burned by rushing them...

Sesha

Save us Limited Run Games.
With your help, Capcom will stop being morons.

Capcom plans the reduce the amount of physical releases for their games. This isn't stopping. Some sort of collection along the lines of the RE Origins Collection is probably your best bet.

Ydelnae

Uh, what? I'd presume buying carts, but then again I've never seen so many AA fans till this generation.

People are way more vocal when they don't get what they want or when they don't have the chance to get something they might not even be interested in. While Ace Attorney's popularity might have increased in some countries, I think people are being more vocal about it because most of the time, it's just begging for games to be localized or complaining that they don't get physical releases.

The same thing happened with the Tales of series. Back when Namco didn't give two shits about localizing the game, everyone was a Tales of fan and everyone demanded the games to be localized and released physically. Now that Namco is giving the franchise a good treatment, nobody cares about Tales of and sales are decreasing. When Namco stops localizing Tales games/the next game is digital exclusive, like what happened to this series and Yakuza, people will start complaining again about something they stopped supported long ago.

StereoVsn

Tales got progressively worse after Vesperia. It's not hard to see the reason why Xillia, Xillia 2, Zesteria (and terrible port of Symphonia) plus Hearts R all in span of under 3 years led to lower individual sales. Plus Zesteria sold alright if you include PC.

Decision to go digital only on 3DS is a guarantee to lead to lower sales due to the inferior digital platform be PSN or Live (iOS and Android are terrible for gaming but at least have very deep sales).

Top Bottom