• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Menitta

YMMV I guess. I liked the last case. Wasn't the best but it was entertaining as hell. I definitely liked it more than AA2's. Then again it had Egdeworth...I don't know.

Edit: I will say that Case 3 was terrible. It dropped the ball so hard.

Shortened version of 4-4's last trial day
Kristoph: Why would I kill Drew?
Klavier: You were Zak's attorney! That's why you knew about the forged diary page you told me about, and that I wasn't suspicious of at all! Achtung!
Apollo: That's why you poisoned Drew!
Kristoph: You can't prove that.
Apollo: Don't have to, the jury thinks you smell!
Kristoph: WWRRRRRIIIIIIIIIGGGHHHHHTTT!!!

There's a lot to be said about the importance of how a game ends because that is the feeling you're left with once you're back at the title screen and shapes your mindset for that initial reflection on the entire experience, and AA4 ended sour and flaccid.

YMMV I guess. I liked the last case. Wasn't the best but it was entertaining as hell. I definitely liked it more than AA2's. Then again it had Egdeworth...I don't know.

Edit: I will say that Case 3 was terrible. It dropped the ball so hard.

qcVPOpI.gif

Hmm...thinking about it a lot more. It was very abrupt. Yeah, ok AA4's ending wasn't great...

Edit: WTF ATHENA IS 18!?

Menitta you are going through the AJ cycle where the more you think about how that final case played out, and the overall story AJ was trying to tell, the more and more the game completely falls apart story wise.

Menitta

Menitta you are going through the AJ cycle where the more you think about how that final case played out, and the overall story AJ was trying to tell, the more and more the game completely falls apart story wise.

I'm at the part where I realize the
jurist system
doesn't matter at all because AA5 and 6 happen.

I still liked it more than AA2 overall because of the character interactions. Again, Ema is fantastic.

GSR

I consider AA4 to be one of my favorite games in the series and even I'm not going to try and pretend like 4-4 ends well. I actually really like 4-4's overall case, characters, and the way it ties everything together (give or take
Phoenix's behavior in the flashback trial
) but ending with a trial where
you present like two pieces of evidence, one profile, and do a single Perceive before the jury just fixes everything for you
is the definition of anticlimax.

I respect that Takumi tried to shake things up by having so much of the meat of the case be in the final investigation phase instead of court but ultimately it felt weak.

Problems with 4-1 and 4-4

Phoenix presents forged evidence in the 4-4 flashback that was given to him by Trucy which he didn't need to present and was goaded into which got him disbarred. Phoenix then makes Trucy do the exact same thing in 4-1 with Apollo but this time "oh the only way you'd know it was fake is if you have the real one" and somehow Apollo wins and gets to keep his badge. What was the point of Shadi trying to expose Phoenix's poker winning streak or any of the nonsense with the waitress girl if he was really Zack and was worried about the Kristoph's ghost or w/e nonsense was the reason he originally met with Phoenix.

And on a more game focus level of issue
The story focuses on the Gavins but Klavier has no character and Kristoph is the bad guy too easily in 4-1. WE never see Klavier ever antagonist towards Apollo either for putting his brother away or for working with his brother and following his ideals which Klavier doesn't agree with.

Of course ignoring the glaring plot issues of the game 4-3 is the worst case in the saga (I haven't finished AA6 yet fwiw) and 4-4 completely goes off the rails among other ???? overall plot issues that are never resolved.

If we're talking about glaring plot holes/issues with AA4's story, what about Valant?

In 4-3, he performs a magic trick with Lamiroir, who we later find out is actually Thalassa Gramarye, a woman he was deeply in love with before she disappeared and was presumed dead. Why wasn't he able to recognize her? He had to have met her and interacted with her when creating the trick for her show (which involved him actually disguising as Lamiroir, IIRC). He's even the one to tell you that Thalassa might be alive and brings up the fact that her body was never recovered, so why was he never able to piece this together when he finally met her again?

PK Gaming

AA4 also has a superb case 2

The rest of the game is pretty disappointing, however and Apollo Justice himself (in AA4) is terrible.

Case 4 could have been so much better if the execution was better, but
it's predicated on Kristoph being a good antagonist, and he's well...not.

I consider AA4 to be one of my favorite games in the series and even I'm not going to try and pretend like 4-4 ends well. I actually really like 4-4's overall case, characters, and the way it ties everything together (give or take
Phoenix's behavior in the flashback trial
) but ending with a trial where
you present like two pieces of evidence, one profile, and do a single Perceive before the jury just fixes everything for you
is the definition of anticlimax.

I respect that Takumi tried to shake things up by having so much of the meat of the case be in the final investigation phase instead of court but ultimately it felt weak.

i liked 4 as well. kind of nice to see a different lead. i like "perceive" better than the "psyche lock" puzzles.

4-4's climax is almost inarguably weak, but I will say that the Day 1 Investigation in Misham's studio might be my favorite investigation in the series.
Looking under the paintings and seeing Apollo's previous cases was such a cool moment.

4-4's climax is almost inarguably weak, but I will say that the Day 1 Investigation in Misham's studio might be my favorite investigation in the series.
Looking under the paintings and seeing Apollo's previous cases was such a cool moment.

Except
there's no pay off for this at all in fact those 3 paintings are never presented or mentioned again in the case iirc

Menitta

I figured out why I like Ema in AJ so much. She hates her job/what she does and was forced to be in that position, and I relate to that so much right now.

TrueBlue

I figured out why I like Ema in AJ so much. She hates her job/what she does and was forced to be in that position, and I relate to that so much right now.

Her return to her peppy personality in AA6 wouldn't be nearly as effective without AA4 either, at least in my opinion. She's actually struggled to get there.

Menitta

This is such a minor complaint but I hate it how the assistant in cases are on opposite sides during trials in Dual Destinies (and I assume SoJ). Maya, Trucy, etc. has always been on the right side of Phoenix or Apollo and now they're on the left. It's so trivial, but I don't like it.

D-Man

This is such a minor complaint but I hate it how the assistant in cases are on opposite sides during trials in Dual Destinies (and I assume SoJ). Maya, Trucy, etc. has always been on the right side of Phoenix or Apollo and now they're on the left. It's so trivial, but I don't like it.
To be fair, the movie and PLvsPW have it set up like that as well and they came out before DD. I don't know why they changed it, but it seems like it's a series-wide change.

rekameohs

Banned
To be fair, the movie and PLvsPW have it set up like that as well and they came out before DD. I don't know why they changed it, but it seems like it's a series-wide change.
My guess is that it's something to do with the 180 degree rule. There's 5 main "views" in the court segments: the defense/prosecution bench, the witness, the assistant, the judge, and the wide gallery view. If you look at the court images, you can clearly place the location of the camera.

Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney-court-victory.jpg

The lawyers and the witness are all clearly from the same spot, since it pans from side to side. This is from the judge's perspective. The judge is viewed from the witness stand opposite the judge. The gallery is viewed from opposite the judge as well. But the assistant is to the left of the defense in the DS games and to the right in the 3DS games. So, that's viewed from opposite the judge and from the judge respectively.

So, if, for instance, the following exchange occurred, with the Judge's view being labeled "front" and the opposite being "back":

Witness: The murder occurred at 2:00. (1)
Defense: No, it was actually 3:00! (2)
*gallery mumbles* (3)
Judge: Order! (4)
Prosecution: Do you have evidence to back that wild claim? (5)
Defense: Of course I do! (6)
Assistant: Why would the witness lie about that? (7)
Defense: I don't know, but we've got to press any hole we find. (8)

Y'know just some generic dialogue like that's been done in the series countless times over. If you follow the DS games' approach, it would be:
1 - front
2 - front
3 - back
4 - back
5 - front
6 - front
7 - back
8 - front

That's four abrupt angle changes in a short span, while the 3DS games would switch 7 to "front" and only have two. The more abrupt these things happen, the more spacially confused the audience is. It's not as big a deal in a confined setting like this, but that's probably what the developers were doing. They were "fixing" the spacial awareness problem that they had before. I'm sure the assistant was to the left originally so that back view clearly shows Phoenix and the prosecutor in the gallery shot, but they must have preferred this to that and switched it.

Now, as for why everyone seems to talk at the exact same witness stand, even when it's two characters talking to each other, I have no fucking idea.

Bowl0l

If Nintendo UK release DGS, i don't have to wait for the fan translations.
I already own DGS (Japanese). That's good news.

Menitta

At first thought that Case 2 of DD was dumb, but everything about Maya Fey is dumb too so...

If Nintendo UK release DGS, i don't have to wait for the fan translations.
I already own DGS (Japanese). That's good news.

I'd buy a UK 2DS for that.

Menitta

How many times in this series does this happen?

"LOOK THIS IS A PICTURE OF SOMEONE WEARING A COSTUME THE DEFENDANT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WEARING!! IT MUST BE THE DEFENDANT!!" only to prove that it isn't?

I'm at 4 times.

How many times in this series does this happen?

"LOOK THIS IS A PICTURE OF SOMEONE WEARING A COSTUME THE DEFENDANT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WEARING!! IT MUST BE THE DEFENDANT!!" only to prove that it isn't?

I'm at 4 times.

Probably not quite as much as "THIS MURDER ACTUALLY TOOK PLACE AT A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT LOCATION!"

Menitta

I finished Case 3 of DD. Not my favorite but I liked it more than Case 2. Robin is a fun character. I'm coming around on Blackquil but he's probably my least favorite prosecutor.

I bet AA4 will come to 3DS.

Very glad progress is being made.

What I'm really impressed by is how effectively they can manipulate the models and text boxes. I don't believe that entire sequence was taking a scene from the game and just replacing the dialogue as I don't recall a moment that Asougi did his laughing animation during court, so I think that was a series of spliced animations and camera angles. What I'm surprised by is the hand on the chin with darting eyes that Naruhodo did. I can't remember seeing that animation in any of my playthroughs. Either it shows up in one of the unnecessary press / penalty / testimony loop that I never encountered (I avoid the "press every statement" strategy whenever I can, even though it means I miss dialogue. I just don't like doing it), was unused data like Phoenix's heart eyes, or that was a splice of his normal darting eyes model and his thinking model. The latter would be very impressive and would be very telling of their graphical editing requests they sent out.

Their text box work is also very impressive as it had pauses, varying speeds, timed sound effects, and interruptions while still having the lip flaps properly function in tune with them. All in all that's a very impressive and promising tech demo showing how they've come along, especially with the difficult part of manipulating the game data. If they can get it down to a simple process, then that would make DGS 2's potential patch that much easier to do.

Very glad progress is being made.

What I'm really impressed by is how effectively they can manipulate the models and text boxes. I don't believe that entire sequence was taking a scene from the game and just replacing the dialogue as I don't recall a moment that Asougi did his laughing animation during court, so I think that was a series of spliced animations and camera angles. What I'm surprised by is the hand on the chin with darting eyes that Naruhodo did. I can't remember seeing that animation in any of my playthroughs. Either it shows up in one of the unnecessary press / penalty / testimony loop that I never encountered (I avoid the "press every statement" strategy whenever I can, even though it means I miss dialogue. I just don't like doing it), was unused data like Phoenix's heart eyes, or that was a splice of his normal darting eyes model and his thinking model. The latter would be very impressive and would be very telling of their graphical editing requests they sent out.

Their text box work is also very impressive as it had pauses, varying speeds, timed sound effects, and interruptions while still having the lip flaps properly function in tune with them. All in all that's a very impressive and promising tech demo showing how they've come along, especially with the difficult part of manipulating the game data. If they can get it down to a simple process, then that would make DGS 2's potential patch that much easier to do.

As far as I know, the only main thing that was graphically edited in was Jezail's exclamation at the end. The animations and scene were all programmed. It did replace an actual scene in the game, but it was essentially wiped and remade into what you see in the video.

Huh, that's strange.

I've played through DGS four times and I've never seen Naruhodo do his eye darting animation during that thinking model, just during his standing, hand raised, and with both hands on the desk. I also haven't seen Asougi laugh mid-trial.

When does this scene happen? I'm guessing after an incorrect response to a question?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm a little bummed right now. I just finished act 3 of the first game and had to consult a FAQ to do so. It was the end when you get Vasquez to change up her wording and I had no clue what to present when, although I felt it had to be during the new statement portion. I told myself I wouldn't cheat in that way with this series since that IS the gameplay portion of the game, but the outcome of the case felt convoluted. I'm sure it only gets worse as you delve deeper into the series. Once you break the game initially, it's easy to do so again and continue to look things up at the first sign of a roadblock. I feel turned off on the game now.

I'm a little bummed right now. I just finished act 3 of the first game and had to consult a FAQ to do so. It was the end when you get Vasquez to change up her wording and I had no clue what to present when, although I felt it had to be during the new statement portion. I told myself I wouldn't cheat in that way with this series since that IS the gameplay portion of the game, but the outcome of the case felt convoluted. I'm sure it only gets worse as you delve deeper into the series. Once you break the game initially, it's easy to do so again and continue to look things up at the first sign of a roadblock. I feel turned off on the game now.

Wait, how is it convoluted?
You're talking about her mistaking Will Power's injury to be Jack Hammer's, right? That's pretty straightforward.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Wait, how is it convoluted?
You're talking about her mistaking Will Power's injury to be Jack Hammer's, right? That's pretty straightforward.
I guess. For whatever reason I didn't equate what she was saying to that piece of evidence. I'm normally really good about deducting things like that. The whole reasoning behind all of it felt needlessly convoluted. It's probably just me.

What matters is realizing the contradiction and the issue is not being sure what evidence proves that, because you found the twist the game wanted you to spot. What's really frustrating is when you jump ahead with your thought process and try to prove something too far down the line, just to need to answer that immediately after.

You realized the important issue which is Vasquez thinking Hammer was injured and not. The twisted ankle mix up could only be logically proven by either the spear since it was broken when the ankle got twisted or the Steel Samurai dragging his leg photo. The game doesn't accept the spear so it falls to the photo mainly because it's more direct and answers why the confusion happened in the first place. I'd chalk up your difficulty with finding what to present with over thinking or being tired. At least that's what I've seen watching people on Twitch and such play these blind.

Either way, it happens to everyone at some point. Don't let it get you down.

rickyson1

always kinda wanted to play one of these and think I will on a flight tomorrow

what's the best starting point for someone that has never played anything in this series before? the first one?

So I'm on Episode 2 of AA3, and I've got to say... Godot is freaking awesome. I've never really been a fan of any of the prosecutors, other than Edgeworth, I guess, but Godot... he's intimidating, and fun to clash with, but also smart, and he has a smoothness I've never really experienced from any character in this series.

Edit: And now he
just threw his mug of coffee on Pheonix
!

Menitta

I'm shocked
how little Phoenix is in Dual Destinies.

Case 4 is really good so far. I think I know what happened, but I'm not sure.
Aura
has probably the best character design in the game so far. Still not a fan of Blackquil. That pointing at his head animation got really annoying really quickly.

Top Bottom