• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision executives met with Nintendo to discuss plans for a next-generation Switch, which is described as closer to PS4 / Xbox One performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Activision executives, including CEO Bobby Kotick, met with Nintendo executives in December 2022 to discuss a next-generation Switch. In an internal email chain, Chris Schnakenberg, head of Activision’s platform strategy and partner relations, prepared a summary of the “Switch NG” (Switch next-generation) inside a document labeled “NG Switch Draft.pdf.”
The document is heavily redacted, but it does reveal that performance of the next-generation Switch will be close to that of the PS4 and Xbox One:
Given the closer alignment to Gen8 platforms in terms of performance and our previous offerings on PS4 / Xbox One, it is reasonable to assume we could make something compelling for the NG Switch as well. It would be helpful to secure early access to development hardware prototypes and prove that out nice and early.

killatopak

it%27s-over-it%27s-joever.gif

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I can't really see that much of a diff between, eh, was it the remake of remake of Last of US 1? between PS4/5.

PS4 levels of power is more than enough, plus the added DLSS, they can do Wonder(s) with them.

Buggy Loop

Yup, but given recent thread filled with zealots claiming Switch 2 will be more powerful than Ps5 and Series X, I feel a reality check is probably warranted. Still I guess they could have bumped the thread you mention.

PS4 teraflops with modern Ampere feature-set and non Jaguar CPUs, DLSS over checkerboard and it's easy to make comparisons to PS5. A match? No, comparable? Why not. Even Ratchet and Clank on Steam deck can be comparable to PS5 and looks nice.

What have you seen on PS5 that is so far off PS4? Honest question. It's the most diminishing return gen ever in console history. IO management and SSD is basically what separates the gens. Now a few games are starting to use ray tracing as a clear cut from PS4. Guess what Nvidia excels at.

Buggy Loop

In terms of raw power compared to the Switch this would be what? 3 times the power?

TFlops mean fuck all when the architecture changed so much between gens

Ampere feature set vs Maxwell is like comparing a McLaren P1 vs an American Dragster on the Nurburgring. Even if you would match Teraflops, it wouldn't be a match.

But as a point of reference, Snapdragon gen 2 which will be used in phones, Quest 3, Pico 5, cheap products basically, has 2.4 TFlops. A +30% gain in "TFlops" over base PS4. But has much more leverage as a chipset with RT + ML and modern feature sets compared to old PS4. I would assume that since Qualcomm approached Nintendo for that chipset, that Nvidia's solution is at the very least equivalent or better.

Last edited:
Yup, but given recent thread filled with zealots claiming Switch 2 will be more powerful than Ps5 and Series X, I feel a reality check is probably warranted. Still I guess they could have bumped the thread you mention.
There's no new info though, just a repost of old information. The info from the Eurogamer and VGC leaks are newer and more specific (e.g. their sources saw live footage of the matrix demo running on SW2 targeted hardware)

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
PS4 teraflops with modern Ampere feature-set and non Jaguar CPUs, DLSS over checkerboard and it's easy to make comparisons to PS5. A match? No, comparable? Why not. Even Ratchet and Clank on Steam deck can be comparable to PS5 and looks nice.

What have you seen on PS5 that is so far off PS4? Honest question. It's the most diminishing return gen ever in console history. IO management and SSD is basically what separates the gens. Now a few games are starting to use ray tracing as a clear cut from PS4. Guess what Nvidia excels at.

"closer to performance of PS4" is the statement. In spite of everything, inclusive to the benefits you mention, that's the quote on Switch 2. Personally, I'm more than fine with that. I do agree with your assessment on the diminishing returns of current-gen, and obviously Nvidia's tech advantage with DLSS....

JackMcGunns

I trust Nintendo. PS4 power is enough for them. No need for RT bullshit garbage.

Although I do agree that Nintendo will be able to put out some amazing stuff with the power of a PS4, heck we actually dreamed of it and I myself made comments like: "Imagine Nintendo franchises with the power of the PS4!" and that wasn't too long ago. Now that dream can finally come true, but there was a time when Nintendo was on the cutting edge, and now they seem to be on their own cycle, which is disappointing. It's just how a lot of us feel.

We can ALL say "No need for X technology", but it's wrong to think that way, in the N64 days, it was trilinear mipmap interpolation, it's what gave the N64 games their signature look. We couldn't been happy with a blocky texture PS1 style Mario 64, but we're ALL much happier with the smooth, non blocky textures (Albeit low res/blurry) that we got with the Nintendo 64 thanks to it's more advanced tech.

LakeOf9

It can be PS4 level and still output better visuals thanks to DLSS and other functionality, which I assume is what the discrepancy in the reporting so far is.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hey ps4 would be great! keep the resolution at 1080 docked and it could easily play any ps5/ xbox game.

Kataploom

Gold Member
We came from "looking like PS5" to the great misunderstood "as powerful as PS5" then to "More powerful than PS5". Some of you can't sleep overthinking on Nintendo lol.

Next Switch will have a GPU minimum around 2TF and max around 4TF with better architecture... Will also have a way better CPU and probably better RAM. It's gonna be way more powerful than PS4 when used properly. Don't think PS4 was really powerful at launch, it was just a netbook with beefy GPU.

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
There's no new info though, just a repost of old information. The info from the Eurogamer and VGC leaks are newer and more specific (e.g. their sources saw live footage of the matrix demo running on SW2 targeted hardware)

It's not that old. This was the hardware Nintendo was telling Devs to plan for, effective December 2022. Unless Nintendo decided to go back to the drawing board, engineer an entirely different new super console in the following 8 months, tell everyone to ignore the December memo and assure them they still plan tomake the same planned ship date... I mean anything is possible. They say aliens are real now. I would (in my totally unqualified opinion) have to conclude the hardware was pretty locked down by then and won't stray too much. However, as Buggy said, with DLSS and other modern CPU advantages maybe you get something that performs better than base PS4.
However iit is notable Activision did not reference PS4 Pro or Xbox One X as their SW2 performance comparison. It's the OGs. The question is, did they mean DLSS and modern CPU will help them reach PS4 level performance, or is it Base PS4 performance plus all the secret sauce on top. I read it as the former, but I know nothing

It's not that old. This was the hardware Nintendo was telling Devs to plan for, effective December 2022. Unless Nintendo decided to go back to the drawing board, engineer an entirely different new super console in the following 8 months, tell everyone to ignore the December memo and assure them they still plan tomake the same planned ship date... I mean anything is possible. They say aliens are real now. I would (in my totally unqualified opinion) have to conclude the hardware was pretty locked down by then and won't stray too much. However, as Buggy said, with DLSS and other modern CPU advantages maybe you get something that performs better than base PS4.
However iit is notable Activision did not reference PS4 Pro or Xbox One X as their SW2 performance comparison. It's the OGs. The question is, did they mean DLSS and modern CPU will help them reach PS4 level performance, or is it Base PS4 performance plus all the secret sauce on top. I read it as the former, but I know nothing
Again that is an old quote from Kotick which was deemed misleading at the time of the initial report. Since this is the same regurgitated old info there's noting new to discuss about other than the same assumption that was made by Kotick "eons" ago in internet age terms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom