• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AHCA: what is considered "pre existing conditions", and why it's worse than that

Dishwalla

Banned
Pre existing condition shouldn't even be a thing, you need healthcare you should get healthcare. Should be as simple as that.

Juicy Bob

My girlfriend lives with Crohn's Disease. She has it for life.

Thanks to the NHS in the UK, this barely costs us anything.

If we lived in the States, I have no doubt that we would be totally unable to afford the premiums for that counting as a per-existing condition.

This bill is absolutely fucked up. You should be marching on the streets.

Pre existing condition shouldn't even be a thing, you need healthcare you should get healthcare. Should be as simple as that.
For that people should understand that you shouldn't expect to receive as much from your health care as you are giving. People with pre existing conditions drive costs up for everyone but if you believe insurance is not only about mitigating risks but also making access fairer across the population it shouldn't be a problem.

Half of GAF is up in arms about this but i also remember so many people hitching about Obamacare costs going up.

Ponn

Banned
You all are overreacting, you are forgetting the GOPs trump card for high risk pools. HSA's. They fix everything.

geomon

Transsexualism is a pre-existing condition that can get you denied for coverage? What the fuck is that?!

I can't tell if people in this thread are annoyed that pre-existing conditions are a thing at all, or whether it's just the fact that, like, acne is one of them that's annoying them. Cause it's not like people with cancer choose to have it or something.

Sonicbug

By the way, "menstrual irregularities" may as well cover every woman if one of the other twelve things on that list that come with what being a woman entails doesn't pick it up. In case anyone needed proof that the men at the top hate woman or have no idea how biology works.

So, when do we start polishing the guillotines?

ezrarh

It's kind of hilarious without any laughter how literally EVERYTHING Republicans support boils down to: I'm going to use you, fuck you over, and kick you to the curb, then say you deserved it because you're a degenerate failure.

You have acne? What an awful American you are, unworthy of our God-blessed way of life. You should have your citizenship stripped and be ejected from the country. Don't move, I'm calling ICE right now.

Their psychology is entirely predicated on the methodology of a sociopathic abuser.

I'm reading "A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America" right now and while I know we shouldn't wholesale stereotype groups but the shit the boomers have done makes it hard not to. Especially with this shit - they'll keep their medicare and social security and everybody else can fuck off.

Beefy

So many are going to die because of this. I hate how I am treated in the UK, because of my mental health. But if I lived in the US I would probably end up dying.

Unbelievable.What on earth is going on in the US,I just extremely worried and sorry for people who this is going to affect badly.Im in the UK and suffer from Schizo-affective and Psychosis,but it's scary to think what would happen if I was Stateside

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm probably naively optimistic but all of this is getting thrown out the window even if it passes in a few years when the Democrats take control of everything again. It was one thing when people didn't have insurance and it was a fact of life because that's just how things worked. It's a whole other ballgame when people have it, use it, and now family members and loved ones sees what happens when they don't have it.

Unfortunately people will die between now and then.

The bill is horrible and I hope the GOP pays for their vote.

Also there's one poster in this thread that posts make zero sense so it makes sense that they are getting ignored.

Klocker

got a pre existing condition? It's your fault.
One good answer might come from a recent interview on the AHCA between Alabama's Representative Mo Brooks and CNN's Jake Tapper. ”[The plan] will allow insurance companies to require people who have higher health care costs to contribute more to the insurance pool," Brooks claimed. ”That helps offset all these costs, thereby reducing the cost to those people who lead good lives, they're healthy, they've done the things to keep their bodies healthy. And right now, those are the people—who've done things the right way—that are seeing their costs skyrocketing."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...sperity-gospel-of-american-health-care/525264

Fucking disgusting idiot and it explains clearly how they can pass such a ridiculous, faulty bill.

They are delusional.

I've never been so repulsed by living in this country in all my life.

I never thought people would become so ignorant, discriminatory, stupid and afraid that helping others somehow makes them have less.

rjinaz

I can't tell if people in this thread are annoyed that pre-existing conditions are a thing at all, or whether it's just the fact that, like, acne is one of them that's annoying them. Cause it's not like people with cancer choose to have it or something.

Huh?

People are "annoyed" that people with pre-existing conditions, like the asthma I have, are placed in high risk pools and I have my insurance sky rocket. I've had it since I was born. Totally my fault.

And yes people are also annoyed about the silly things that are actually classified as pre-existing conditions under this bill like rape and C sections.

Both. PEC and HRPs shouldn't exist at all but them adding more to the list is the severed finger on top of the shit sundae

SandTorso

I mean, at this point why even bother with health insurance? Hell, with the plan I get at work I still have to pay out of pocket until I spend $1500 (they do contribute $1000 in an HSA though, the other plan is still completely out of pocket until $750) which has been remarkably easy visiting the doctor once for a physical (a great $300 spent for half an hour of time), and $600 on an urgent care visit (I was having pretty severe chest pain out of nowhere. X-ray says nothing to see there).

I should probably try to move to a different country huh?

mj1108

They aren't going to. Health care is for the rich, it's a luxury, not a right for these people.

That's exactly what the GOP thinks and what they want their voters to think.

"I guess if I'm going to have to pull myself up by my bootstraps and get a 3rd job if I want insurance."

Tigress

Apparently the problem is that the GOP thinks that healthcare is pointless, after all, no one dies if they don't have healthcare (http://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...s-because-they-dont-have-access-to-healthcare) (I saw that clip on CNN too and was like "What?!" as well as everyone in the room he was giving that argument too. It's too bad the clip ends after that cause I'd like to see their reaction after they get over the stunned reaction from his stupidity and his trying to defend that statement).

rjinaz

Apparently the problem is that the GOP thinks that healthcare is pointless, after all, no one dies if they don't have healthcare (http://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...s-because-they-dont-have-access-to-healthcare) (I saw that clip on CNN too and was like "What?!" as well as everyone in the room he was giving that argument too. They were so stunned his argument worked to quiet them so he could leave (at least from the clip it looked like he was ready to exit right after that).

Anybody that could actually die from not having healthcare wasn't actually a "person" anyway.

Couleurs

Apparently the problem is that the GOP thinks that healthcare is pointless, after all, no one dies if they don't have healthcare (http://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...s-because-they-dont-have-access-to-healthcare) (I saw that clip on CNN too and was like "What?!" as well as everyone in the room he was giving that argument too. They were so stunned his argument worked to quiet them so he could leave (at least from the clip it looked like he was ready to exit right after that).

Cool, he should have no issues with giving up his own insurance then

Huh?

People are "annoyed" that people with pre-existing conditions, like the asthma I have, are placed in high risk pools and I have my insurance sky rocket. I've had it since I was born. Totally my fault.

And yes people are also annoyed about the silly things that are actually classified as pre-existing conditions under this bill like rape and C sections.

I clearly didn't write my post very well because you've garnered basically none of my point from it.

My point was that if you think the idea that pre-existing conditions that one has no control over shouldn't effect ones insurance, then whether it's acne or cancer or HIV or a genetic predisposition to strokes shouldn't matter - no one chooses a predisposition towards strokes just like you didn't choose to have asthma. So I was confused as to why people were specifically pointing out things like acne being included, as though that was ridiculous, when it's identical to almost everything else in being uncontrollable. I don't know why you're being snarky re: "totally my fault" when my exact point was that none of these things are anyone's fault (with a few exceptions).

Also, this bill doesn't classify rape as a pre-existing condition. Try diversifying your sources of information.

rjinaz

I clearly didn't write my post very well because you've garnered basically none of my point from it.

My point was that if you think the idea that pre-existing conditions that one has no control over shouldn't effect ones insurance, then whether it's acne or cancer or HIV or a genetic predisposition to strokes shouldn't matter - no one chooses a predisposition towards strokes just like you didn't choose to have asthma. So I was confused as to why people were specifically pointing out things like acne being included, as though that was ridiculous, when it's identical to almost everything else in being uncontrollable. I don't know why you're being snarky re: "totally my fault" when my exact point was that none of these things are anyone's fault (with a few exceptions).

Also, this bill doesn't classify rape as a pre-existing condition. Try diversifying your sources of information.

I get what you're saying now. Why be upset that acne is a PEC when Cancer is because neither is anybody's fault. I agree if you are coming from the view point that PEC shouldn't effect insurance anyway, which you never said you agree with that. But I can tell you that somebody with acne would care. Widening the pool of what classifies as a PEC means more people getting screwed over. Are these people not supposed to care because cancer patients are also PEC?

As for rape you are right. Though if the person has a mental disorder as a result, they are screwed.

I get what you're saying now. Why be upset that acne is a PEC when Cancer is because neither is anybody's fault. I agree if you are coming from the view point that PEC shouldn't effect insurance anyway, which you never said you agree with that. But I can tell you that somebody with acne would care. Widening the pool of what classifies as a PEC means more people getting screwed over. Are these people not supposed to care because cancer patients are also PEC?

I think we should all care that any of them are. I understand the point - why would an insurance company charge someone who they're likely to have to spend hundreds of grand on the same as a fit and healthy 25 year old? - but there lies ruin. The Obamacare system of only allowing a few generalised factors like age and location is a good compromise - which is why it's weird to see people point out specific conditions.

rjinaz

I think we should all care that any of them are. I understand the point - why would an insurance company charge someone who they're likely to have to spend hundreds of grand on the same as a fit and healthy 25 year old? - but there lies ruin. The Obamacare system of only allowing a few generalised factors like age and location is a good compromise - which is why it's weird to see people point out specific conditions.

We agree on that larger point, it was a good compromise. I'll leave it that since we seem to agree, your original post wasn't very clear to me, it sounded callous.

commedieu

Banned
Serious question. At what point does the general population decide to remove this govenment by any means neccesary? When is enough enough? The government has clearly failed the people. This should not be allowed.

It would be hard. Americans can't block traffic while protesting.

The most insulting part of all of this, is that they are exempting themselves from the preexisting condition rule.

Just let that sink in.

Future

pay tons of money for the ability to use a service as long as it's unlikely you will actually use what you paid for

If it seems like you would use it, then to hell with you

America

pay tons of money for the ability to use a service as long as it's unlikely you will actually use what you paid for

America

and also white people will vote against any attempt to improve on this, because god forbid the coloreds might make use of it to improve their lives

Hachimaki

It's outrageous how this garbage even passed in the House.

My question is, if anyone can answer, is Congress and their staff exempt from AHCA? I read at first they were exempt from it and then another source saying they passed another bill that made it apply to themselves.

cameron

It's outrageous how this garbage even passed in the House.

My question is, if anyone can answer, is Congress and their staff exempt from AHCA? I read at first they were exempt from it and then another source saying they passed another bill that made it apply to themselves.

That is correct. The MacArthur amendment had an exemption for members of Congress, then a separate bill was passed to eliminate that.
But in the end, none of that came to pass. A separate bill offered by Representative Martha E. McSally, Republican of Arizona, eliminated the congressional exemption from the House health plan. Her bill was overwhelmingly approved by the House — meaning that Congress will live by the same health care rules as other Americans.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/04/...ongress-exemption-republican-health-bill.html

Keri

Don't worry, you'll be just fine if you're one of the non-lazy, healthy Americans with a full-time job that offers you insurance, oh wait...

Something something idle hands, devil's workshop, etc.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/li...th-bill-could-alter-employer-plans-1493890203

The possibility of waivers for essential coverage is an alarming provision in AHCA that doesn't seem to be getting enough coverage. It seems like, if a state obtains this waiver, it would necessarily redefine all plans offered in that state. Why continue to offer possibly expensive coverage, that you're no longer required to? Or why continue to offer it at an affordable price.

The costs for mental health coverage and maternity care, in particular, will skyrocket.

GreyWind

Evil fuckers!

C_KTdcdW0AEYgnw.jpg:large

Remember these faces

Tigress

America

This is exactly why I think health insurance as a privatized/capitalist thing is a really bad idea in the first place. The company has to make money so of course they only want to take low risk people in (the less they have to pay out the better for them). They have every motivation to try to make as much money as possible (hell... if they have shareholders they can even say they have responsibility to the shareholders to be as profitable as possible). Trying to cover people's illnesses is not really that profitable. Living is a pre existing condition and is gaurenteed eventually something will happen to you. This isn't like auto insurance where you may or may not get in an accident. They will have to pay out eventually unless they can find loopholes (or price you out so you can't afford to pay anymore before you do get sick). And chances are unless you die a quick/sudden death it is going to be something expensive they have to pay out for (as well as little things throughout life people tend to get).

Health insurance shouldn't be run by a company that has to make money. It's not a very feasable system, at least not if you don't want to pretty much act like they do now. At best what they could do is have the government have a one payer for basic healthcare and for extra "luxuries" health insurances could offer extra coverage. Capitalism is not the solution for everything and I think that's a big part of many parts of what is wrong with the Republican (and really more so with the libertarian) party (at least economically wise. The Republican party though now has so many things wrong with it this is at least the less evil thing wrong with it). They seem to think capitalism solves everything. Mostly because for the rich it works fine when they're the ones controlling the eventual monopolies that happen and they aren't going to get priced out of things like health insurance and can afford all the basic necessiities easily.

Evil fuckers!

C_KTdcdW0AEYgnw.jpg:large

Remember these faces

A few might lose their seat but as a whole nothing we do will be enough to change Republican as a political party, they might lose some seats in 2018 and maybe the presidency in 2020 but they'll still be these far right fucks we know and hate and will be back to the bullshit about how Democrats are ruining the nation, the racist dog whistles and their base will be right there behind them lapping it all up.

Saw a quoted tweet that called Paul Ryan's office liars for saying that the ACHA was scored twice. Of course his staffer is implying that a version of it was scored. How deceitful.

https://twitter.com/AshLeeStrong

There is even a tolerant left tweet in there.

The tweet that started it all: https://twitter.com/AshLeeStrong/status/860857948570099712 "While we're setting the record straight: AHCA was posted online a month ago, went through 4 committees, & has been scored by CBO -- twice."

NandoGip

I wish i could get revenge on these old rich white republicans who at the stroke of a pen just sentenced millions of people to death. I hate them so much

The people that voted for this are traitors to the American public. I don't care if they figured it would change some or not.

It's been that way for quite some time it's just more obvious now. I think we're heading for the breaking point though. This government is no longer for the people or by the people.

Nanashrew

Banned
So I should only plan on living another 10 years.

Well alright then.

edit: also had kidney stones ONCE, about 10 years ago.

The days before Obamacare are nothing but endless travesties.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/16/health.care.hearing/
- Robin Beaton found out last June she had an aggressive form of breast cancer and needed surgery -- immediately.

Her insurance carrier precertified her for a double mastectomy and hospital stay. But three days before the operation, the insurance company called and told her they had red-flagged her chart and she would not be able to have her surgery.

The reason? In May 2008, Beaton had visited a dermatologist for acne. A word written on her chart was interpreted to mean precancerous, so the insurance company decided to launch an investigation into her medical history.

Beaton's dermatologist begged her insurance provider to go ahead with the surgery.

"He said, 'This is a misunderstanding. This is not precancerous. All she has is acne.' ... He said ,'Please don't hold up her cancer surgery for this,' " Beaton, 59, said as she testified at a House subcommittee hearing on the terminations of individual health policies by insurance companies.

Top Bottom