• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI assisted cheating built into monitors has finally arrived!

Mokus

Just one game? And it's mostly a "feature" that game developers could implement into the gameplay to eliminate the disadvantage for the other players if they are too tired to look for the minimap.

baphomet

This is basically pointless now, but in the near future stuff like this will be a problem and not just for PC.

Mowcno

I imagine next we'll have monitors AI detecting onscreen enemies in shooters and putting an overlay on them so you can see them better...

Tiny enemy in the distance on Fortnite/Warzone now painted bright red.

I'm not really sure how this can be prevented. Even if you detect and ban specific monitors there will be easy ways to hide/spoof the monitor hardware you are using.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I imagine next we'll have monitors AI detecting onscreen enemies in shooters and putting an overlay on them so you can see them better...

Tiny enemy in the distance on Fortnite/Warzone now painted bright red.

It won't matter because when there's an enemy on screen you see it and it doesn't change the way you play, this isn't wallhack that detects enemies through walls

Mowcno

It won't matter because when there's an enemy on screen you see it and it doesn't change the way you play, this isn't wallhack that detects enemies through walls
It does matter. A human can easily miss an enemy at very long range on the edge of your view or an enemy heavily obscured by foliage or darkness. If an AI is painting things on your screen to make sure you don't miss it then there's an advantage.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

That’s actually kinda cool and probably not considered cheating since all it does is look at the minimap and show indicators based on already available information - from reading the article it doesn’t see through FOW or access any data that wouldn’t be allowed.

Would actually be great as an accessibility overlay option for people who need it.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
A group of people probably getting paid more than me, sat around a table and all agreed this was a good idea?

StereoVsn

MSI says that, when the monitor comes out later this spring, it will be releasing a PC application that allows you to train it to recognize health bars, enemies and other on-screen features in any game you want. You'll need your computer's processing power for the initial training, but according to MSI, the monitor itself will do all the processing thereafter.”

Technically if you do training on the PC and the UI on a console game is the same, it should work on the console too.

Say you want to “help” with CoD Warzone on a console. You can train essentially on any PC (assume interface is same), and then use the console with the monitor since it will run AI inference for you and not the PC.

Next step - make predictions on enemy locations through walls based on bullet traces and sound.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So essentially an AI assistant pointing things out.
Still not something I want to see, and I’m sure it’ll Jack the price up considerably.

Otherwise it sounds like a nice monitor.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The next few years are going to be very weird until we figure AI out in our lives. Or maybe we never do and we all die.
Steve Mcgarrett Tani Rey GIF by CBS

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So it’s going to be like a back seat gamer nah f-that.

Hmm just make it call you a noob and demand it plays. Problem solved.

AI stuff the same as social media will ultimately harm mankind. Or if we are very lucky force a transform of our society into some Star Trek utopia. Cheating in gaming is unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but AI in general is dangerous but also inevitable.

Cheating as it is, is probably already bad. But if AI assists visibility of targets, maybe a future digital mousepad connected to my monitor assists my mouse "movement" in some way, with my computer knowing nothing of it. Then AI detectors will fight each other, deciding if the movements are still human, like those Are you a human tests, which so far are supposed to be safe, since bots don't have yet human movement patterns.
But mimicking a human doing anything on a PC shouldn't be impossible soon. Programs can form some paragraphs of text and paint stuff, which is imho much more impressive than adding some twitchy imperfect mouse moves to masquerade as a human.

Don't like MP stuff anyway and AI integration there is whatever anyway, but AI stuff and its implications kinda scares me.

Portugeezer

It does matter. A human can easily miss an enemy at very long range on the edge of your view or an enemy heavily obscured by foliage or darkness. If an AI is painting things on your screen to make sure you don't miss it then there's an advantage.
Yep, in an online competitive game this is one of the small things which differentiate player levels.

Imagine you're good at lazering enemies but your awareness is dogshit, well now with AI you won't have to worry in the future.

Tommi84

It will. There's a difference betwee a tiny dark player and a tiny dark player with giant-ass red fladhing border around it.

It seems that LAN-parties will be back on the menu, boyss!!! :D

Last edited:
This reminds me of the eternal debate about “open money” in regards to board games. Should the players’ personal money be hidden or open? Theoretically, all transactions are public knowledge, so anyone could run a tally in their head. Mental math and memory are skills, so are they part of the game?

Is “seeing” an enemy part of the game? Do you want to win a game simply due to the opponent not seeing you? Would you want to play chess without the “check” rule?

This reminds me of the eternal debate about “open money” in regards to board games. Should the players’ personal money be hidden or open? Theoretically, all transactions are public knowledge, so anyone could run a tally in their head. Mental math and memory are skills, so are they part of the game?

Is “seeing” an enemy part of the game? Do you want to win a game simply due to the opponent not seeing you? Would you want to play chess without the “check” rule?

Its an interesting thought but in this context I think the answer is quite clear. I'm not a moba player but play cs to a high level. Reading the radar is absolutely a skill to the game. If you see eye tracking of top players in these games and heatmaps of where they look, they are flicking all the time to the radar and processing 2d information, translating that into their positioning/decisionmaking and all the while focusing on their primary inputs and vision on the screen. This definitely makes things easier and should be counted as cheating. Would something like this impact the top level of play? Not like this I don't think. But it certainly would be a huge advantage at lower levels and should not be allowed.

MikeM

Yeah- i’m done with online competitive games. For a major computer company like MSI to do this is insulting to the PC community.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Try playing something like hell let's loose where it's a night map and this game uses AI to highlight in red what it thinks are people moving in the distance.

Yeah if your playing CoD maybe it won't matter but for the more sim games on PC it would absolutely screw over people.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Why would you even build this feature in the first place?

What a weird thing to do.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Why would you even build this feature in the first place?

What a weird thing to do.

Because all the mofos will buy it like there's no tomorrow. It will be interesting though ... to beat AI, you will need an AI of your own; meant future multiplayer games will be proxy wars between AI. They will learn and become ever more sophisticated against each other.

Last edited:
Because all the mofos will buy it like there's no tomorrow. It will be interesting though ... to beat AI, you will need an AI of your own; meant future multiplayer games will be proxy wars between AI. They will learn and become ever more sophisticated against each other.
Eventually you can remove the humans entirely and just watch AI vs AI game tournaments!

Actually, that would probably be boring as shit.

Top Bottom