• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI assisted graphics in game development

Holammer

Finnish game developer Jussi-Petteri Kemppainen made a small experiment and wrote a devblog about it.
It's a fun read, but the tl:dr; he used AI to generate model sheets, textures, backgrounds to assist him in creating this small demo and he concludes:

"On minimum the AI saved me 2 days of work on the character and 3 on the location. As per my estimation."

The conclusion is going to turn a few heads. Had the experiment been a little bit more ambitious he could have used solutions like AIWA for music and MURF.AI for speech, both mature solutions compared with AI generated art. Either way, this is a preview of what we can expect for game development, tv and comics going forward. The tools will only get better.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm currently developing an RPG and I've been thinking about using an AI to generate stuff like portraits and backgrounds.

There are even software tools capable of transforming normal images into pixelated stuff, like Pixatool.

Ns%2FhhU.gif

Possibilities are endless. I'm just a bit sad about some artists losing their jobs because of this.
Years ago I would have needed to hire someone to do something I'm now able to do on my own thanks to AI.

With ever increasing length in credits scenes and insane complexity we absolutely need AI to take over the creation stuff of non essential crap, stuff people certainly can do, did in the past, but just far slower.
This and 3D-scanning should make a lot of things easier.
All sorts of human artists will have a hard time soonish.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
With ever increasing length in credits scenes and insane complexity we absolutely need AI to take over the creation stuff of non essential crap, stuff people certainly can do, did in the past, but just far slower.
This and 3D-scanning should make a lot of things easier.
All sorts of human artists will have a hard time soonish.
I think art as a whole will survive. No AI creation could ever really capture the brilliance of Gogh or Picasso. AI is just too derivative.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'm currently developing an RPG and I've been thinking about using an AI to generate stuff like portraits and backgrounds.

There are even software tools capable of transforming normal images into pixelated stuff, like Pixatool.

Ns%2FhhU.gif

Possibilities are endless. I'm just a bit sad about some artists losing their jobs because of this.
Years ago I would have needed to hire someone to do something I'm now able to do on my own thanks to AI.
I always wonder about this. If you can create more assets with less people, does that mean that people will lose their jobs? Or will the demand for those assets increase so much that the # of jobs remains stable or even increases?

Like if you could, IDK, feed a couple of key frames to an AI and have it spit out some massive sprite sheet with insanely detailed animations, maybe you could do without hiring an artist. Or maybe you WOULD hire an artist but you’d be able to create something much bigger and more ambitious than without assistance, like have tons and tons of unique sprites with their own detailed animations that would’ve beyond the wildest dreams of an indie dev in the past.

I honestly don’t know. But it seems like humans are capable of almost limitless desires and consumption.

Kuranghi

Finnish game developer Jussi-Petteri Kemppainen made a small experiment and wrote a devblog about it.
It's a fun read, but the tl:dr; he used AI to generate model sheets, textures, backgrounds to assist him in creating this small demo and he concludes:

The conclusion is going to turn a few heads. Had the experiment been a little bit more ambitious he could have used solutions like AIWA for music and MURF.AI for speech, both mature solutions compared with AI generated art. Either way, this is a preview of what we can expect for game development, tv and comics going forward. The tools will only get better.

76un1v.jpg

What's the thing above the wrist? The hand folds down and a laser pops out for melting humies?

CJ_75

We don't want another GTA Trilogy Definitive Lazy Job Edition. I want to play games made by passionate hard working humans.

I can see a future with even more junk games (yes, worst than the joke games I created). Because they will be a mess of different things patched together in a who-cares manner, and you will play them.

Season 3 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons

I think the term "Ai" is thrown around so casually these days. None of this is truly "Ai" but what would you even call it? Kinda Ai lol also it does work, but up to a point.

They're not perfect, especially for something like this. The user will almost always have to go in and tweak things. My friend has been a software engineer for over two decades and he's been playing around with it. He says that it actually works, but you can't just use what it spits out. He said it's a good base to work off of, but it still requires you to make tweaks and rewrite things... but it does save him time! Which ultimately is kind of the goal, right.

WitchHunter

Banned

[/URL]

Great, more time to tell a good story.

Draugoth

Gold Member
AI will make the development of AAA games considerably easier, but it's unlikely it will ever replace humans

Knightime_X

Ns%2FhhU.gif

Holy shit that is amazing!
The application potential can be incredible.

Knightime_X

We don't want another GTA Trilogy Definitive Lazy Job Edition. I want to play games made by passionate hard working humans.
Devs and artist start the project.
AI will assist in finishing said project.
Eventually, when AI is good enough, crunch times will be nonexistent.

Tams

We didn't manage to stop the Industrial Revolution, despite what the Luddites did and that there were massive machines in massive factories that were easy targets.

The 'core' of an AI can be saved onto a USB stick. A whole advanced AI can be run off one server rack. The code can simply be copied and pasted effectively infinitely. So AI is here and will be used whether most people like it or not. And no legislation or regulation is going to be able to stop it except for on the largest scales.

Now what this does for jobs, I don't know. Most really didn't care back in the Industrial Revolution either. Back then, few bothered or had the nous to think of such a critique, so that new jobs appeared was from an employment perspective just luck. Now everyone and their dog are thinking about what the employment impacts may be, but we simply don't know, only speculate at best.

I do think that we will have some sort of nostalgia for the past, and that works that can prove that they were made without AI will get support. Afterall, we don't need, say, Christmas, and in the UK it did almost die out, but the Victorians were struck with a pang of nostalgia and went all out on bringing it back, and in the process made much of what a modern Western Christmas is today. But most things? Yeah, AI will be used there.

As for current AI, it's output still requires checking (especially for things that are critical), and for many things that requires an expertise in the area to do so. It can reduce workloads at lot, or for those who can't afford to hire a team and can accept some imperfection, it can enable them to do things they otherwise never would have been able to.

Last edited:
Devs and artist start the project.
AI will assist in finishing said project.
Eventually, when AI is good enough, crunch times will be nonexistent.
I think there will still be crunch regardless. Management will always push for quicker results and humans have a tendency to underestimate how long large projects will take. Adding AI in the mix, all you're doing is shifting the timing of milestones.

E.g., AI brings dev times down from 6 to 3 years, so now crunch starts at Year 2 instead of Year 5.

Tams

a game almost entirely coded by Chat GPT.
it's a very simple game, but imagine what's possible a few years down the line with even more advanced AI!

Honestly, it's insane.

I got ChatGPT to cobble together a Python program for use in a classroom that I'd had in my head for a few years. And BOOM. There it was. Was it perfect, even after asking the 'AI' to fix some things? No. Did I need to know some programming? Yes. But... it took about 30 minutes to have something that sort of worked. 30 minutes for something I'd been putting off for years.

And the best part? If I was stuck, I got an answer in seconds. Not tens of minutes searching through search results, usually ending up on StackExchange and then just to be met with a tangential answer and a 'learn to code first and do it yourself' reply.

And the comments on the code, including the ones only in ChatGPT really help teach you how things work. So other than some basic fundamental courses on how coding works, I think you could get ChatGPT to very competently teach you how to code if you have the right attitude. And in the process you won't spend hours trying to get and stressing out over a text only password generator that in the end doesn't even work properly.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think art as a whole will survive. No AI creation could ever really capture the brilliance of Gogh or Picasso. AI is just too derivative.
All the AI does is look at millions of examples and sort of distill out commonalities and generate something derivative of those.

But is that any different than what most art is? For every artist who really pushes the medium forward and expresses something about the human condition that can’t be put into words, there are thousands of others who aren’t doing anything truly original.

We might not see an AI be the next Picasso, but hey, if I want to crap out a bunch of Thomas Kinkade lighthouse paintings royalty-free, I bet AI can do it just as good or better than any human.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
That's scary. I'm keeping my old ass hand crafted, video game collection for sure.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

That's cool I guess, but damn that piece of music is good!

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
That's cool I guess, but damn that piece of music is good!
Damn that’s legit better than, say, most of the film scores in the Marvel movies. If just you want something safe & familiar that neatly sets the mood for whatever game/film you’re making, I bet AI can already do a great job of it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Damn that’s legit better than, say, most of the film scores in the Marvel movies. If just you want something safe & familiar that neatly sets the mood for whatever game/film you’re making, I bet AI can already do a great job of it

The AI only "wrote" that piece though, it didn't create the actual audio, that was recorded using a real orchestra I believe. Which not everyone may have access to. But still, yeah.

Tams

On another note, I used to think that it was artists that were most at risk of losing their professions to artificial intelligence.

But as it is now, it's programmers who are. At this rate, all tech companies will need for most programmers are people to check over the AI generated code. Some will need to be very skilled, but most will only need to know the fundamentals. I think that's why places like StackExchange have reacted so badly to this. A mixture of their hubris and arrogance from being in one of the most prestigious professions in the modern age, now being met with the realisation that many of them could now easily be bettered and possibly replaced, by software (and hardware to a degree) that their own profession has made.

And going by the art AIs, visual artists are still quite safe. Musicians, in terms of producing recordings less so, and authors the least.

The safest are those who use their hands (or any practical part of their body), including artists. We'll still need the trades for a long while, and performing artists will likely always be more popular that watching a computer do something.

I think it is going to implode big time.
The reality is it isnt going to be safe to use AI generated anything, because at some point it is going to be fully investigated and things are going to get sticky.

On another note, I used to think that it was artists that were most at risk of losing their professions to artificial intelligence.

But as it is now, it's programmers who are. At this rate, all tech companies will need for most programmers are people to check over the AI generated code. Some will need to be very skilled, but most will only need to know the fundamentals. I think that's why places like StackExchange have reacted so badly to this. A mixture of their hubris and arrogance from being in one of the most prestigious professions in the modern age, now being met with the realisation that many of them could now easily be bettered and possibly replaced, by software (and hardware to a degree) that their own profession has made.

And going by the art AIs, visual artists are still quite safe. Musicians, in terms of producing recordings less so, and authors the least.

The safest are those who use their hands (or any practical part of their body), including artists. We'll still need the trades for a long while, and performing artists will likely always be more popular that watching a computer do something.
This is probably true. However, again, we may see some push back from people if there is code that could be considered to belong to someone.

Tams

The AI only "wrote" that piece though, it didn't create the actual audio, that was recorded using a real orchestra I believe. Which not everyone may have access to. But still, yeah.

You can get VSTs for many things. For instance here is one for the BBC Symphony Orchestra.

And while there have for decades now been proprietary ways to get MIDI and VSTs to sync up (used as they are, you get very 'flat', simple music due to the nature of MIDI), now even MuseScore has a way to make music digitally that sounds like a real life recording.

You can get VSTs for many things. For instance here is one for the BBC Symphony Orchestra.

And while there have for decades now been proprietary ways to get MIDI and VSTs to sync up (used as they are, you get very 'flat', simple music due to the nature of MIDI), now even MuseScore has a way to make music digitally that sounds like a real life recording.
AI will definitely be able to replace Korean and Japanese boybands that is for sure... Those kids already barely look human and their music may as well be made by an AI.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yeah, VSTs can sound very good no doubt. Not sure they can do convincing singing quite like in that piece though? Well, maybe if it's just ooohs and aaahs they can.

Tams

I think it is going to implode big time.
The reality is it isnt going to be safe to use AI generated anything, because at some point it is going to be fully investigated and things are going to get sticky.

As long as it is checked by a human somewhere (and there will always be someone willing), then it's no different to human generated code.

This is probably true. However, again, we may see some push back from people if there is code that could be considered to belong to someone.

I don't think most people care. And for those that do, well how are you going to prove it? Sure, for now the best 'AI' is privately owned, so logs could be pulled. But just like VPNs, sooner or later someone is going offer an 'AI' which keeps no logs. And good luck taking that down.

'AI' is here, ready to use, and accessible to the general public now (and I'd say, if private companies and/or governments have it, why shouldn't the people?). It's not going away and trying to make it do so is like those who fight content piracy; at most you slow it down a little and make it a little harder to use. No, we need to start thinking really hard about how we adapt to it, while making sure we don't lose our intelligence as a species. Things like a universal basic income and the like.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
All the AI does is look at millions of examples and sort of distill out commonalities and generate something derivative of those.

But is that any different than what most art is? For every artist who really pushes the medium forward and expresses something about the human condition that can’t be put into words, there are thousands of others who aren’t doing anything truly original.

We might not see an AI be the next Picasso, but hey, if I want to crap out a bunch of Thomas Kinkade lighthouse paintings royalty-free, I bet AI can do it just as good or better than any human.
No doubt it can and will look great. But I'm never going to hang a piece of art created by AI on my walls.

Top Bottom