• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins With Real Gun

///PATRIOT

Banned
the guy holding the gun pointing it at other people claims he didn't pull the trigger.... LOL WUT

It's not me!! It's my identical twin!! He's the evil one!!!
The trigger could have being too much lubricated and it slipped on it self.

It has never happened buy I could see it happen.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
For a single action revolver two things need to happen for it to fire.
1. The hammer must be manually cocked
2. The trigger is pulled.

Now some old revolvers have the firing pin on the hammer such that a sharp blow to the back of a lowered (uncocked) hammer can set off the cartridge in the chamber under the hammer. It's also possible that a cocked revolver can have the trigger depressed by clothing or by accident when holstering.

However I don't think either of these things happened. I think Alec deliberately cocked the revolver and pulled the trigger, EVEN THOUGH IT WASN'T CALLED FOR IN THE SCENE. He didn't think it was going to fire obviously but he acted in an unsafe way with tragic consequences.

“I pulled the hammer as far back as I could without cocking the gun,” Baldwin said. “I let go of the hammer and bang, the gun goes off.”

“Everyone was shocked … the gun was supposed to be empty. I was told I was handed an empty gun. She goes down, I thought to myself, did she faint?” he added. The notion that there was a live round in that gun did not dawn on me until 45 minutes or an hour later.”

“Someone is responsible for what happened, and I can’t say who that is, but I know it’s not me,” Baldwin said

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...erview-rust-1235056159/#?utm_source=onesignal

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
What is a 1 in a trillion shot?
Heh heh, those revolvers usually have a half cock catch specifically to prevent that very thing and to allow the cylinder to spin freely for loading and unloading.

I call bullshit on that story.
he is just showing his ignorance of the subject.

that is not a legal defense.

This motherfucker...
This motherfucking industry and ideology protecting him

Last edited:
This motherfucker...
"Baldwin told Stephanopoulos that what happened on the set of Rust will change how films are made, suggesting that actors will need to be more mindful of any weapon props they use"

b74c1749fa58f1fdd0e422404566cc5d.gif

nbcjr

Baldwin says that Hutchins told him to begin cocking the hammer for a particular shot.

“I pulled the hammer as far back as I could without cocking the gun,” Baldwin said. “I let go of the hammer and bang, the gun goes off.”

-----

From the wording, it conveys the message that the dead is to be blamed.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Gold Member
Well that explains it. Basically did this but not enough to engage but enough force for it to strike the bullet and fire .

DbIS9nF.gif

Barakov

“Everyone was shocked … the gun was supposed to be empty. I was told I was handed an empty gun. She goes down, I thought to myself, did she faint?” he added. The notion that there was a live round in that gun did not dawn on me until 45 minutes or an hour later.”

“Someone is responsible for what happened, and I can’t say who that is, but I know it’s not me,” Baldwin said

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...erview-rust-1235056159/#?utm_source=onesignal
This fucking guy......

kuncol02

Banned
Is that his job? Or is that the job of the firearms team?
It''s everyone job when filming.
George Clooney in comment about that accident:
“Every single time I’m handed a gun on a set — every time — they hand me a gun, I look at it, I open it, I show it to the person I’m pointing it to, we show it to the crew,
Everyone does it. Everybody knows,”

That rules were created after death of Brandon Lee.
And most important part. Armorer wasn't even on set. That gun wasn't checked by anyone. Who decided that's ok to shoot scene with guns without armorer? Who decided that it's safe to give that gun to Alec without any verification if it's loaded?

Alec Baldwin right now:

old music it wasnt me GIF

I said at the beginning that I didn't like the guy but I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as shitty accidents can and do happen. I also said if it was due to recklessness on his part I hope he gets the book thrown at him.

I hope he gets the book and the fucking book's revisions thrown at him. What a bullshit excuse. Fuck that guy.

Last edited:

JBat

Did he have his finger on the trigger while pulling the hammer back? Sounds like he broke other gun safety rules so I would not be surprised if that was the case.
Also the thought that he had no responsibility to check the gun himself blows my mind. If my grandmother handed me a gun and said "go point that at your son and pull the trigger. Don't worry your mom said it was unloaded" (if there was any situation that would actual happen) hell yes I am checking it myself.

Hé is not wrong , the team that preps the gun should take care of that , and if you trust people , why would you look inside? If you trust people you trust their work .. it’s not like he thought let’s kill some one .
It’s been said a thousand times over, but the mindset that it’s somebody else’s job and responsibility to check the weapon YOU are about to pull the trigger of is the whole problem in the first place. Of course there’s blame to go around, but it doesn’t matter who you are, if you pull the trigger on a weapon you’re responsible for what happens downrange, very simple.

Raven117

It’s been said a thousand times over, but the mindset that it’s somebody else’s job and responsibility to check the weapon YOU are about to pull the trigger of is the whole problem in the first place. Of course there’s blame to go around, but it doesn’t matter who you are, if you pull the trigger on a weapon you’re responsible for what happens downrange, very simple.
This.

Anytime anyone ever hands you a gun...ever....you check it yourself. Period.

CGiRanger

Banned
It's a clear-cut case of negligent homicide. Problem is he's not being charged due to politics/class

daveonezero

Banned
Which by the way is why he’s now denying pulling the trigger, if he admits that he admits responsibility.
Yep. He admitted to manipulating the fire mechanism on a Single action. so it’s just as bad as pulling the trigger.

he is trying to make it look like it randomly went off when he just admitted he pulled the hammer back and let go.
The letting go set off the charge

Even if a live round was introduced he could have avoided the shot if he didn’t manipulate the firearm with negligence. And ignorance because He believes if the trigger wasn’t pulled it wasn’t his fault.

this fucking guy needs to burn.

Anyone still trying to defend this fucking piece of shit? No remorse. No contrition. That interview was among the most slimy and pathetic displays of cowardice and brazen manipulation I have seen in a while. Not only is he saying the gun essentially fired itself while in his hands, doesn’t even acknowledge that he pointed it at the woman.

He tries to paint himself as some kind of victim. “If I thought I was responsible, I’d kill myself.” Really Alec? Does that mean if we hold you responsible, you’ll kill yourself? Is that some kind of threat? He talks about how people said things that weren’t helpful. Helpful to whom exactly? Him? He killed a woman. How about he take care of the woman’s husband and kids from his vast fortune before a lawsuit requires him to? But no, he’s not worried about that because he’s not responsible at all, according to himself. And he’s rather kill himself than actually take responsibility.

George Stephanopolis is a piece of shit to, for facilitating that bullshit.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
And he’s rather kill himself than actually take responsibility.
Given his batshit crazy self-absorbed wife, it wouldn't shock me AT ALL if Alec ghosts off to some central american private island for the rest of this life while his wife starts a "He's DEAD, how am I gonna cope????" social media campaign to both cover for him and continue to get attention for herself. We'll be seeing "Alec is ALIVE in Panama!!" tabloid (or TMZ these days I guess) posts for YEARS!!!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Given his batshit crazy self-absorbed wife, it wouldn't shock me AT ALL if Alec ghosts off to some central american private island for the rest of this life while his wife starts a "He's DEAD, how am I gonna cope????" social media campaign to both cover for him and continue to get attention for herself. We'll be seeing "Alec is ALIVE in Panama!!" tabloid (or TMZ these days I guess) posts for YEARS!!!
Sad part is, I can believe this shit.

Anyone still trying to defend this fucking piece of shit? No remorse. No contrition. That interview was among the most slimy and pathetic displays of cowardice and brazen manipulation I have seen in a while. Not only is he saying the gun essentially fired itself while in his hands, doesn’t even acknowledge that he pointed it at the woman.

He tries to paint himself as some kind of victim. “If I thought I was responsible, I’d kill myself.” Really Alec? Does that mean if we hold you responsible, you’ll kill yourself? Is that some kind of threat? He talks about how people said things that weren’t helpful. Helpful to whom exactly? Him? He killed a woman. How about he take care of the woman’s husband and kids from his vast fortune before a lawsuit requires him to? But no, he’s not worried about that because he’s not responsible at all, according to himself. And he’s rather kill himself than actually take responsibility.

George Stephanopolis is a piece of shit to, for facilitating that bullshit.
I felt sorry for him a little bit when the story first broke but after that line "If I thought I was responsible, I'd kill myself." I just feel disgust for him. Like holy shit man, that is toxic as fuck. You don't just say things like that on live television after killing someone whether it be entirely your fault or not.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Well it was his job and the weapon belongs to the film crew. Its an work accident now. You cant just blame everything on the actor when everyone is doing this for years now.

Not an actor has to take care of the weapon in the first place but the film crew who is prepping everything for the record.

Otherwise we can now start to ban all firearms from the set so no actor will kill another person by accident.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well it was his job and the weapon belongs to the film crew. Its an work accident now. You cant just blame everything on the actor when everyone is doing this for years now.

Not an actor has to take care of the weapon in the first place but the film crew who is prepping everything for the record.
It was his film set. His production company.
Otherwise we can now start to ban all firearms from the set so no actor will kill another person by accident.
Or, now hear me out. They follow Firearm Safety 101, in which Clooney as well as other veteran actors, people who worked in the industry, etc, all have said ARE STANDARD and practiced.

I know, right. Amazing logic!

Pejo

Gold Member

I guess I look at it like this - If I had a non-zero chance to kill somebody by not checking something that takes 5 seconds each time I pick it up, I would probably do it.

I own several guns, and even though I regularly maintenance them and am meticulous about where I keep the ammo, I still check the chamber each and every time I take one out. And I'm not even pulling the trigger.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It was his film set. His production company.

Or, now hear me out. They follow Firearm Safety 101, in which Clooney as well as other veteran actors, people who worked in the industry, etc, all have said ARE STANDARD and practiced.

I know, right. Amazing logic!
Firearm safety 101 is not "check a weapon is unloaded before pointing it at people"
Movies sometimes require an actor to point a 'loaded' weapon at someone and pull the trigger.

Top Bottom