• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Algeria 'loses contact with plane'

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
When has weather ever played a role in plane crashes? Maybe 1 or 2% of all the crashes..

Actually is more than that, but usually it impacts the landing more. Unless they were flying over some mountains.

The weird thing isn't that planes crash, it can certainly happen. But this vanishments making me uneasy.

Most of the crashes are first vanished planes until they find the crash site, except for the planes that crash near the airport or a town, like Taiwan flight this week.

Volimar

Probably? It's still the safest way to travel.

I know this is a serious thread, but you guys keep reminding me.

zhh9yBh.png

Although I would imagine that we have more control of the weather than we used to have (construction of the plane, information etc.)

Interestingly the number (percentage) of accidents caused by weather has remained the same, despite improvements in safety/construction:

* Percentages

ibmYhBtQ14ftss.jpg

Enkidu

Interestingly the number of fatal accidents caused by weather has remained the same, despite improvements in safety/construction:

ibmYhBtQ14ftss.jpg
Are those absolute numbers? I imagine the amount of flights have increased massively since the 1950's, so it might be relatively much safer nowadays.

Yrael

I know on an intellectual level that the fact that four commercial airline disasters have occurred in recent times has zero influence on the chances of planes crashing the rest of this year (if I roll an unloaded dice and get 6 three consecutive times, the chance I'll get a 6 on the fourth roll is still 1/6), and moreover that planes are still statistically speaking much safer than cars, but I still can't help but find myself feeling a bit nervous for my mum and her partner, who are flying out to south-east Asia in September. Human nature to connect events like this and try to establish it as part of a bigger pattern, I suppose.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Oh shit..another one? Hope they made a successful crash landing, but the lack of comms and where they lost contact doesn't make it seem like this will end well :(....

Heading to Dubai next month and I'm used to air travel, but this still makes me feel a bit uneasy about the trip...

JordanKZ

What a year for plane crashes this has been so far, such a shame. Dying in a plane crash must be up there with the most horrible ways to go... :(

Important update:

BBC said:
An unnamed Air Algerie company source, speaking to AFP news agency, said: "The plane was not far from the Algerian frontier when the crew was asked to make a detour because of poor visibility and to prevent the risk of collision with another aircraft on the Algiers-Bamako route."

"Contact was lost after the change of course."

Prez

What a year for plane crashes this has been so far, such a shame. Dying in a plane crash must be up there with the most horrible ways to go... :(

I can think of 1000 ways that are worse really.

How long has the plane been missing now?

devilhawk

Interestingly the number (percentage) of accidents caused by weather has remained the same, despite improvements in safety/construction:

* Percentages

ibmYhBtQ14ftss.jpg
The likely reason is that other reasons for crashes have improved at a similar rate. You would not see a difference in the breakdown percentages.

TheContact

Damn I hope it turns out okay, even if the plane had to hard land I hope everyone is okay and they find them. At least we know their flight path and it shouldn't be too hard to find them

These stories are tragic and terrible and also terribly riveting when they are developing. It must be very sparsely populated land though. No pics, no nothing from this yet, anywhere.

I don't expect there are a lot of Twitterers in the Sahara Desert.
I wonder when it's safe to expect any....anything from this one.

It seems like a busy time for air disasters, but I think worldwide it's still about average. Though I am not quoting any source with that comment. I just know that these things happen, and sometimes the world isn't paying attention. I am an aviation fan, and I do follow this stuff. The world is watching a lot closer now, since Malaysia Flight 370.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom