• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Algeria 'loses contact with plane'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoot2005

Banned
What the fuck is up with all these planes disappearing? Tinfoil hat ON.

Edit - Nvm. It crashed. Wonder if foul play was involved? The yahoo article said it was flying over a conflict area (Mali) so perhaps it was shot at.

Now this is getting ridiculous, if its an airbus A320 the weather can't bring her down. These are built to handle typhoon type of weather.

Its either a mechanical failure or it was shoot down by someone, the latter is very unlikely since no one in the region have the necessary equipment.
Uh - no. You need to educate yourself a little bit, as I have been. Weather can absolutely bring an A320 down. But it was a mad dog. M-D 83. And no, they can't fly through a typhoon safely. There has been mention of thunderstorms in that area, from what I've read - but no mention of weather as a cause yet.

But make no mistake, weather can, and does, cause plane cashes. Pilots routinely re-route and fly around weather for this reason.
They don't slam a jetliner through any system expecting it to be fine.

What the fuck is up with all these planes disappearing? Tinfoil hat ON.

One plane disappeared (MH370) because it likely landed somewhere in East Indian Ocean. This plane won't be hard to find unless the crash/emergency landing site is controlled by one of the militant groups across the South Sahara and the Sahal. this one isn't going to disappear.

Now this is getting ridiculous, if its an airbus A320 the weather can't bring her down. These are built to handle typhoon type of weather.

Its either a mechanical failure or it was shoot down by someone, the latter is very unlikely since no one in the region have the necessary equipment.
I wouldn't be so sure at this stage of the incident. Could be something like Air France Flight 447 (Airbus 330) where weather and pilot error lead to it.

CTLance

Ah fuck me, not another plane crash.

It feels like the recent months have seen an uptick in aviation related accidents.

andthebeatgoeson

So this whole 'flying is the safest way of travel' isn't particularly true for 2014, is it?
Well, today, about 90 will due in car accidents. And each day this week. And next week. And every day next month. Same thing for every day this year. Just in America. So, there is that. If that happened in the airline industry, they would stop all flights, after a week until they figured out the cause. And the cause would mostly be: driver error. Too fast, fell asleep, was drunk, etc. If the pilot in the airplane was drunk, he would be kicked out of the industry and probably never allowed to fly again.

You got shook because of three to four air plane accidents. There has been a few dozen car accidents since I started writing this. And I'm comparing worldwide air plane industry to just the us auto industry.

Edit:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year
Woo boy. 5.4 million crashes in 2010. 14800 per day. 618 per hour. 10 accidents per minute. Based on that 2012 number, 3-4 deaths per hour.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
What the fuck is happening with planes this week (And month, dammit)

Well, today, about 90 will due in car accidents. And each day this week. And next week. And every day next month. Same thing for every day this year. Just in America. So, there is that. If that happened in the airline industry, they would stop all flights, after a week until they figured out the cause. And the cause would mostly be: driver error. Too fast, fell asleep, was drunk, etc. If the pilot in the airplane was drunk, he would be kicked out of the industry and probably never allowed to fly again.

You got shook because of three to four air plane accidents. There has been a few dozen car accidents since I started writing this. And I'm comparing worldwide air plane industry to just the us auto industry.

While i'm not disputing that indeed, flying is still the safest way, you need to account for the amount of people-miles (Or perhaps people-hours) that every travel way does. While cars are still the most dangerous transport method, the blowout statistics mainly come out of the fact that most travelling is done on cars.

JonnyBrad

I wouldn't be so sure at this stage of the incident. Could be something like Air France Flight 447 (Airbus 330) where weather and pilot error lead to it.

10% weather 90% failure of pilots. But yeah the frozen airspeed tube was what pulled it out of auto pilot. They then proceeded to fly the thing into the sea.

Halcyon

yea, but you don't normally fall out of the sky for a minute or so when you get into a car accident. That's what people are afraid of. Not death itself.

andthebeatgoeson

yea, but you don't normally fall out of the sky for a minute or so when you get into a car accident. That's what people are afraid of. Not death itself.
I'm more afraid of dying and would gladly take a minute free fall and instant death over a broken neck or roll over. If your plane blows up at 30k feet, you lose oxygen and pass out quickly. It's freezing cold so that contributes to the shock. Maybe you're body is sucked out of the air plane at 500 mph and kills you immediately. I'm twisted but these things seem better than a horrifying car crash where you survive to the hospital to last a few days or weeks, only to succumb to a pneumonia, TBI and sepsis.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If it's a MD it's a little bit more vulnerable to bad weather and especially to hail than an Airbus because it has the engines in the back and not on the wings and the airflow over the wings throws almost everything into the engines and could potentially damage them. There was an accident that I remember happening for this exact reason, with hail being pushed into the engines and the plane losing thrust.

Dryk

ibcLBXwjmiND40.png
Well I guess it will be a lot easier to find than MH370 at least. Is there still enough light to get planes and satellites on it?

TheContact

Shit :(

I'm not getting on a plane. No way.

About 80 people die per day of car crashes in the U.S. alone. Imagine how many die in the whole world per day. You're safe in planes. There's about 50,000 flights per day in the world (which is about 4 million people a day)

Dryk

I don't see Malian terrorists having the technical capacity to shoot the plane down...
We will of course have to wait until they find the thing but a weather-sensitive plane disappearing near a thunderstorm seems pretty cut and dry

Vyroxis

Banned
I don't see Malian terrorists having the technical capacity to shoot the plane down...

Given the amount of unrest in the world, and how much hardware has been stolen/sold to and by various groups to other various groups, anything is possible really. Highly unlikely, but still possible.

I'm not sure if it was confirmed but there was worry surface-to-air missiles could have left Libya.
“All of a sudden we found ourselves face to face with a thousand men, heavily armed,” said Mr. Maïga, the foreign minister. “The stability of the entire region could be under threat.”

The Malians, who viewed Colonel Qaddafi as a generous benefactor — he helped build an administrative complex here, among other things — now find themselves gnashing their teeth over this less beneficent aspect of his legacy. Still, officials here insist that the situation in the north is under control, while acknowledging that the threat is not over.

Analysts who study the region agree that the latest Tuareg resurgence is something new, and that Colonel Qaddafi is largely responsible, posthumously.

“This is a fairly significant military force,” said Pierre Boilley, a Tuareg expert at the University of Paris. “The game has changed. They can directly attack the Malian Army. I think the army will have trouble.”

The new Tuareg campaign “shows a pretty serious military and logistical capability,” said Yvan Guichaoua, a Sahara expert at the University of East Anglia, in Britain. The Tuareg spokesmen are cagey about disclosing the precise dimensions of their arsenal, hinting only that they owe Colonel Qaddafi a good deal. “The Libyan crisis shook up the order of things,” Mr. Acharatoumane said. “A lot of our brothers have come back with weapons.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/w...or-rebellion-in-mali.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Tuareg situation is complex, don't want to paint them as anything or derail thread.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Tuareg situation is complex, don't want to paint them as anything or derail thread.

It stems from the colonial powers drawing shitty borders, again. The Tuareg minority simply aren't represented in an administration dominated by a Mande majority, and want their own nation (Azawad). Anywhere north of Mopti hasn't really been under the control of the Malian government in a while.

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 1m
Reuters: Algerian official says missing #AirAlgerie flight en route from Burkina Faso to Algiers has crashed #AH5017

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Came down between Gao and Tessalit, just in. UN currently considers it more likely weather was responsible than the Tuareg nationalist rebels.

EDIT: This is all unconfirmed, but this is what the BBC is getting in from the UN correspondent in Mali.

Fucking hell. I hope that there are survivors.

Also these "i'm never boarding a plane again" posts need to stop. I fly very frequently (as in, every month or every other month), almost all my flights are transatlantic and I feel 100% safe. The sad part is that, in the (extremely unlikely) case of a plane crash, it turns into a massive tragedy because we're talking about the fate of 100+ souls.

I'm cancelling all my flights, and buying a whole bunch of train tickets.

Accidents also happen on trains

Edit: ...just realized that the train accident on the gif happened exactly one year ago. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom