• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

Mrbob

Well at least I know why Alien Swarm was locking up on me! It wasn't overheating...it was a game bug! From today's patch notes:

"The Vindicator’s grenade explosion effect should no longer crash users running a GTX260 graphics card."

Haven't had a lock up since the patch.

Sciz

Tesla fans, be warned:
-Fixed ammo usage on the Tesla Cannon to properly decrease 4 times a second instead of 2 (doubled clip size to account for this).
-Rebalanced Tesla Cannon’s damage to encourage it to be used more as a support weapon.
-Tesla Cannon will now use ammo slowly even when it isn’t damaging something.
And it's probably still too good.

dork said:
anyone not able to play? i load the game and it starts to load and then just kicks me back to the desktop

I don't know if you are still having this problem, but when this was happening to me, I restarted steam and it worked fine.

mrgone

Does the "short controlled bursts" achievement require that no one in the game have ff incidents (though I'm sure I've seen individuals get it in games), or that you don't receive any ff damage yourself? I've had several 0 ff missions now, and no cheevo. Are there possibly hidden requirements, or is it buggy?

Sciz said:
Tesla fans, be warned:

And it's probably still too good.

It's still useful for slowing down packs of enemies, but does very little damage now. It takes what seems to be 3/4s of a clip to kill a regular alien (on normal).

Radogol

I think it was on the Idle Thumbs forum where I said that Black Cat Games is one of the few mod groups with focus and vision to bring their projects to completion.

I was a bit a red faced when, soon after that, Alien Swarm went into radio silence.

I'm not anymore. Good job, guys!

Epix

I hadn't seen this posted anywhere but here's the sequence of maps in sequence through the 'Jacob's Rest' Campaign from first to last:

Landing Bay

* Access Inner Perimeter
* Download the Flight Data
* Get to the Landing Bay Exit

Cargo Elevator

* Activate the Cargo Elevator and Descend
* Reach the Facility Exterior

Deima Surface Bridge

* Gain Access to the Pipeline
* Destroy Infested Pipeline
* Get to the Colony Reactor Entrance

Rydberg Reactor

* Bring the Reactor Online
* Reach the North Exit

SynTek Residential

* Destroy Swarm Eggs 0/26
* Destroy Biomass 0/8
* Escape Using the Elevators

Sewer Junction B5

* Seal the Access Tunnel
* Destroy Swarm Eggs 0/20

Timor Station

* Activate Cable Railway
* Detonate Warhead
* Escape via Bloodhound

bigswords

Hmmm does the flamethrower section gets laggy for anyone? My machine is getting lower framerates in those areas where there's alot of flame.

My Specs.

i7-920, Ati 5870, 4 gigs ram. Everything on high , no AA nor AF.

The M.O.B

bigswords said:
Hmmm does the flamethrower section gets laggy for anyone? My machine is getting lower framerates in those areas where there's alot of flame.

My Specs.

i7-920, Ati 5870, 4 gigs ram. Everything on high , no AA nor AF.

Yup, common problem no matter what kind of Rig you have. Hopefully Valve is on top of it.

Ezahn

I really really hope the first thing to be patched is putting Alien Swarm on Steam Cloud.
There's really not a single good reason why it should be kept outside.
And having my xp and settings linked to my account would make a user like me (desktop PC and two different Macbook Pro under Bootcamp) very happy.

Ezahn said:
I really really hope the first thing to be patched is putting Alien Swarm on Steam Cloud.
You're in luck. The first thing to be patched IS putting Alien Swarm on Steam Cloud.

And that patch happened last Wednesday.

zoku88

Anyone feel like playing a campaign with me in like 16 hours? I have yet to go through an online campaign since I'd rather play with people I "know"

Sciz

2hia2wj.png

We landed to investigate the sudden radio silence of a remote colony. Roughly eighteen minutes and twenty seconds later, we were gone.

Alien scum never knew what hit 'em.

MNC

I'm getting a big framerate drop in the bit with the render target camera, in the offline practice level... the one with the huge elevator and you see yourself from another angle on a little screen. slow motion total.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
i keep getting frame rate issues as well my laptop aint the most powerful in the world , but can run track mania fine, hope there is a patch soon

Dreavus

MNC said:
I'm getting a big framerate drop in the bit with the render target camera, in the offline practice level... the one with the huge elevator and you see yourself from another angle on a little screen. slow motion total.

This could be completely unrelated to your problem, but that specific part is supposed to slow down a bit in the game. It's an "adrenaline rush" scenario which gives your whole team slow-motion for a little while. There's a few more of them throughout the game and I think you can even unlock an item that will cause the effect at will. I'm not sure how/why that'd be affecting your fps though.

Sciz

so

uh

interesting bug cropped up after the patch. I'll let it speak for itself.

2cnttkz.png

Thor is in the house and he is pissed.

I suspect the damage stat bonus is supposed to be applied to the tesla cannon at a 0.25:1 ratio. Right now it's 25:1. It's like this for both myself and the friend I was playing with earlier across multiple characters, missions, game sessions, and entire game restarts, so I can only assume that it isn't just a fluke bug and Valve completely screwed up the damage scaling.

Imagining the effects of chain lightning at 404 dps is left as an exercise for the reader.

Sciz said:
so

uh

interesting bug cropped up after the patch. I'll let it speak for itself.

2cnttkz.png

Thor is in the house and he is pissed.

I suspect the damage stat bonus is supposed to be applied to the tesla cannon at a 0.25:1 ratio. Right now it's 25:1. It's like this for both myself and the friend I was playing with earlier across multiple characters, missions, game sessions, and entire game restarts, so I can only assume that it isn't just a fluke bug and Valve completely screwed up the damage scaling.

Imagining the effects of chain lightning at 404 dps is left as an exercise for the reader.

Its normal if you use Wildcat or Crash as an Character with the tesla cannon.
http://alienswarm.wikia.com/wiki/Tesla_Cannon

-Crash and Wildcat are deadly with the Tesla Cannon. Instead of 1 damage, they get 1+75 and 1+100 respectively. Even a frontal assault on Shieldbugs figuratively becomes a walk through the park.

syllogism

Just because someone put that on the wiki doesn't make it "normal"; it's an obvious typo

"asw_skill_accuracy_tesla_cannon_dmg_step" = "025" (used to be 0.25)

This game is just so fucking good, really wish they'd allow bots to fill the empty slots online though.

Also this is begging for a Space Hulk mod.

dLMN8R

Is there any difficulty scaling at all for starting a game with just 2 people? I'm trying to play through this with just one other person and we keep getting destroyed :-(

Sciz

dLMN8R said:
Is there any difficulty scaling at all for starting a game with just 2 people? I'm trying to play through this with just one other person and we keep getting destroyed :-(
Nope. Damage values are fixed, as are enemy spawns (mostly). Less players is a total disadvantage for the marines.

That said the game is still completely beatable with just two players, at least on non-Insane difficulties. Two-man Insane is still technically possible, though I've only been crazy enough to try it on the night that Thor, God of Thunder, was present and smiting bugs with fearsome glares alone.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Nope, there's no scaling. Just keep practicing that's all. I even managed to successfully two man a time trial level. Just keep at it.

I started playing this game a couple days ago. Fun stuff. It kinda reminds me of Alien Syndrome.

I've only played it with one other player, a friend, and we keep dying on the level where you need to destroy all of the biomass and the eggs... I might give it a shot online, but I hate playing co-op games with random strangers.

Now, I'm waiting for custom maps.

dork said:
anyone not able to play? i load the game and it starts to load and then just kicks me back to the desktop
Happens in Windows XP for me. :( I have to boot into Windows 7 to play it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ugh, the game is constantly freezing and locking up. Maybe ever other mission.

SC II has been running fine for the past few days too.

Teknoman

Hopefully there will be some Hard difficulty runs going this weekend.

EDIT: Some sort of Metroid universe mod with Metroids replacing the parasites would be nice. Something where you play as federation soldiers instead of Samus.

Purkake4

Banned
Is there any way to find AI Director enabled servers?

I think I stumbled into one, it had aliens bursting through walls and was generally awesome.

Safe Bet

Banned
Giving this thread a well deserved bump.

I've been having a blast with the game.

Production values were far above my expectations.

Currently trying to finish Jacob's Rest on hard in order to open up the other campaigns.

Why would you do that? said:
I started playing this game a couple days ago. Fun stuff. It kinda reminds me of Alien Syndrome.

I've only played it with one other player, a friend, and we keep dying on the level where you need to destroy all of the biomass and the eggs... I might give it a shot online, but I hate playing co-op games with random strangers.

Now, I'm waiting for custom maps.

Happens in Windows XP for me. :( I have to boot into Windows 7 to play it.

Add me on Steam if you need another player..

SteamID:rumaki

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Safe Bet said:
Giving this thread a well deserved bump.

I've been having a blast with the game.

Production values were far above my expectations.

Currently trying to finish Jacob's Rest on hard in order to open up the other campaigns.

There are no other campaigns.

Top Bottom