• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Vs Predator = PG-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I just have one question................why is there a pyramid full of predators and aliens on earth?

Get under your desk and cover your heads kids, it looks like a....

mushroom_cloud.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wow, after seeing the trailer I didn't think this could get much lamer...

That just kills the movie for people that were going to at least see nudity and extreme violence.

Is it possible that it got a PG-13 because it's Aliens killing Predators and vice versa as the core of the killing and not humans?

FoneBone

Marty Chinn said:
Is it possible that it got a PG-13 because it's Aliens killing Predators and vice versa as the core of the killing and not humans?
Yeah, the reviews I read (which, admittedly, might have been fake) said that some of the Alien/Predator fighting was actually pretty gory. But it still sucks.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Ghost said:
unbelievable, WHY are there no 18+ films anymore?!?

because post columbine there has been a crackdown on letting kids into r rated movies. before then they didn't even check. so now, these movies are losing a lot of money to the 14-17 year olds who would pay to see this stuff, especially for a movie like this who's main audience is your young adults and comic book crowd.

FoneBone

ConfusingJazz said:
"Who ever wins, the sympathetic, good looking, white people will escape"
Actually, the lead, Sanaa Lathan, is a black woman (and she survives). But the "sympathetic, good-looking" part is still true.

FoneBone said:
Actually, the lead, Sanaa Lathan, is a black woman (and she survives). But the "sympathetic, good-looking" part is still true.

Sorry, I will refix post,
I was assuming the addage that was true up till around the mid to late 90s.

"Who ever wins, the sympathetic, good looking people will escape"

You may want to put all of that in spoiler tags.

ge-man

sefskillz said:
because post columbine there has been a crackdown on letting kids into r rated movies. before then they didn't even check. so now, these movies are losing a lot of money to the 14-17 year olds who would pay to see this stuff, especially for a movie like this who's main audience is your young adults and comic book crowd.

Exactly--this is about money. Roger Ebert himself has been pretty vocal about this shift because more often than not the film is being held back. Studios don't have any faith in adult viewers these days, while at the same time the don't mind crapping a film up if they can make it pander to younger audiences.

The film actually hasn't been rated yet. The rating for AVP has been a controversial topic for fans over the past month or so, and there has been evidence to support both sides of the argument: rumbling from industry "insiders" and local FOX representatives that say the movie is PG-13, and script/novelization reviews and a report on E! News that say it is rated R. My guess is that Paul Anderson is fighting for an R rating, but FOX will most likely win and force the film to be cut down to PG-13.

evil ways

Kevin Peter Hall must be rolling in his grave.

BTW from what I've read about the pre-screenings, the movie doesn't seem to have anything except for language that makes it deserve an R rating. Most of the human gore and deaths seem to suffer from the blackout and quick cut, "leave it to the imagination" syndrome. Unless of course the screenings are of an unfinished version of the movie.

From what I understand there hasn't been many published reports from screenings. The ones that Aint It Cool News reported for fake. Hopefully FOX will release the rating and running time information soon.

evil ways

Duck of Death said:
From what I understand there hasn't been many published reports from screenings. The ones that Aint It Cool News reported for fake. Hopefully FOX will release the rating and running time information soon.

I know a person on another forum who saw the movie, he went into detail with it too.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
When Lance Henriksen is one of the top bills for the movie, you no it's gonna be no-budget tripe. This is further confirmed by the trailer. Every Aliens movie and every Predator movie have been rated R, yet mix the two together and you get a PG-13 film. Eh?

Whoever wins, we all...eh, whatever.

When people think "Aliens" and "Predator," they think VIOLENCE. Chest-bursting, acid-spraying, tail-skewering, teeth-gnashing, spear-impaling, laser-cauterizing, head-lopping, trophy-taking VIOLENCE.

And you can't do that level of VIOLENCE justice in a PG-13 film.

Pattergen

You guys are really overreacting.

They AND Darkness Falls are BOTH rated PG-13, and look how those movies turned out.

shit...

COCKLES

being watched
The Promised One said:
I can now say that the director is a complete moron. I guess this will be a rental.

Fox can see those cashbursters erupting.

Expect the full COMPLETE UNRATED UNCUT edition deluxe boxset edition in 2005.

Bog

Junior Ace
This makes me more likely to see it, actually. I'm not a fan of gore for the sake of gore.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The gore factor is irrelevant. The trailers look shitty as hell, it's from Paul WS Anderson, and the premise is completely ridiculous.

Let's all face the fact that the Alien and Predator franchises are best left to their original films (okay, possibly the first sequels as well) and that's it. All the rest have sucked.

Drensch

Freedy V Jason did 32 the first week and 80 for the run, it cost 40 or so. AVP hits a much bigger audience than the horror set. Dropping the rating allows them to get a far bigger audicne without much compromise. It probably has a budget at least 2 times bigger if not 3 times bigger. Big budget and R ratings make studios nervous for good reason.

duckroll

First of all, WHERE IS THE PROOF that it is PG-13. The MPAA site still hasn't listed it as rated PG-13.

Secondly, Bad Boys 2, Troy, Gangs of New York, Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions were all rated R, and they all probably cost more than TWICE AvP's budget.

Thirdly, 4 Alien movies and 2 Predator movies are ALL rated R.

What's this "R rating is teh death!! OMGXXO!O!O!!O!!!" nonsense? :p

The thing is that if its a bad movie they would want it too be pg-13 so all the sheep can watch it and they can maybe salvage opening weekend.

Its a fucking paul Anderson movie, are you guys expecting it to be good?

duckroll

Kabuki Waq said:
Its a fucking paul Anderson movie, are you guys expecting it to be good?

At the risk of being condemned, I would say YES. I actually enjoyed Resident Evil... and I really really dig the production design I've seen so far in AvP.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think (if what i read was true) that the pyramid is an ancient predator temple (i guess the aliens were sealed inside) in the antarctic and predators go there to fight hordes of aliens as a right of passage (becoming a man kind of thing)

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Man I dunno, I think the premise of the movie is kinda cool. I'm still giong to see it no matter what.

Drensch

Secondly, Bad Boys 2, Troy, Gangs of New York, Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions were all rated R, and they all probably cost more than TWICE AvP's budget. Thirdly, 4 Alien movies and 2 Predator movies are ALL rated R. What's this "R rating is teh death!! OMGXXO!O!O!!O!!!" nonsense? :p

One at a time shall we? Ignore marketing costs for fun.

Bad Boys 2 was a sequel, that's one point. Secondly it underperformed with a huge star in it, it probably would have hit 250 had it been pg 13. Domestically it did 140 and cost 130 not including marketing. In other words, results like that make a studio nervous. Only with Overseas and dvd will it make a profit. Proves my point.

Troy? Cost 170, made 132 here, and will only make it with overseas and dvd. Proves my point.

Gangs? Cost 100(although that number is way low) It did 77 Us. Proves my point.

Matrices? In a huge franchise, Star Wars could be rated nc-17 and do 200 hundred domestically but it doesn't make nc-17 a safe bet. The last 2 Matrix movies cost 300 total, and made 420 domestic. Here they actually make some dough, if they didn't have to advertise. In order to simply break even, they need dvd and overseas grosses.

So in those examples you had one aberration that made money and it was a huge franchise. I.e. R movies are avoided because they are bad investments. The average R movie makes far less than your average pg 13. 6 Alien and Pred movies all r?

Predator 60 mill
Pred 2 31 mill
Alien 78 mill
Alien 2 85 mill
Alien 3 55mill
Alien 4 47mill

356 mill for 6 movies all R rated. Are you telling me as a studio exec that I want to drop (probably) 100 mill or so in a movie that has only done 360 mill across 6 films? Limit it to people over 17, and have no big name actors?, and a middling set of franchises? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom