• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol is available once again, DRM-free – only on GOG

Kacho

With Alpha Protocol back, we’re also very happy to say that the GOG version of the game contains additional or brought back features that are here to let you enjoy it even more:

Licensed soundtrack
Immerse yourself in the game's thrilling espionage atmosphere, accompanied by its iconic tracks.

Achievements support
Your accomplishments will not go unnoticed, as the achievement system (previously only available on consoles) is fully implemented on GOG.

Full controller support
Whether you own a Dualsense, DualShock 4, Nintendo Switch Pro, Xbox Series or Xbox One controller, you can sit back, relax and play Alpha Protocol on any of those (vibrations and wireless mode included).

Localization support
Enjoy the game in your native language with localization support for 8 languages: English (audio & text), French (text), German (text), Italian (text), Spanish (text), Czech (text), Polish (text), Russian (text).

Compatibility with modern operating systems
Whether you’re playing on a modern rig or an older PC, the game will run smoothly on your operating system and adjust its default settings to match your hardware.

Cloud saves support
Don’t worry about losing your save files either, as your GOG copy comes with support for Cloud saves.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
3ar9.gif

Hell yea Ill play through this again. Steam version actually works fine on steam deck but no cloud saves kinda sucks.

Astray

Gold Member

poodaddy

!!!! Fuck yes!!!

And this is why GoG must be protected at all costs folks. I love Steam, but GoG is really the most valuable PC platform for preservation purposes. Not only are they DRM free, but they also manage to sometimes end up with the best version of a game to date. This, Diablo 1, Fallout New Vegas, and Vampire Bloodlines all have their best versions on GoG. Fuckin love em. Already own this on Steam but I'll buy it here just to show support.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I loved this game. Would love a remake but not by modern Obsidian, someone else, with better animations, AI, stealth mechanics.

cireza

Game was awesome. Loved the ending where you are a total loser and end-up with the guy lol.
It was also possible to seduce all ladies in a single playthrough, which I did of course.

Oh, and the game was action / stealth, but this was pretty secondary.

Last edited:

Braag

Didn't even know this wasn't sold in Steam anymore, I still have it in my library there at least.
I remember playing through it back in the day and thinking this is the best and worst thing I've ever played.

Ovek

7Member7
Love Alpha Protocal so i've got to support this. I thought I would never be able to play it again on PC at least this.

I would play this again, if there was a way to skip all the combat just play it like a visual novel. I loved the game but remember being very frustrated with the combat controls.

00_Zer0

Question, does this mean GOG is finally going to have cloud saves and achievements in all future games? If so, will it be retroactive to older titles? Did anyone know who they are partnering with for cloud saves, and is achievements programmed into the game or is it GOG app native and developer has to implement in game?

Vlodril

A little, but it's like early mass effect. Well worth playing.

Also once you finish the game as a recruit you can start a new career as a veteran agent and get new options you never had prior, making the second play through even better.

The only game i have played where i started a second playthrough the moment i finished the game. Broken but still unique.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Even if someone will offer me a million buckaroos, I will never play this again. Even thinking about it makese me want to... ✋🤮

intbal

I bought this for 360 a dozen years ago.
I've never played it.
Was always hoping they'd add it to BC.

The Stig

I remember having this on PC and loving the concepts but I remember it being super janky, running like crap on my rig and crashing a lot.

maybe I should give this a go

CamHostage

Who worked on this re-release? Must be some people over at Sega, right?
Probably just GoG.

Huh, I didn't know that GoG do that kind of work! Cool on them, it seems like a great program.

This would otherwise have been an extremely unlikely game to get "remastered" in a corporate sense; the developer Obsidian has been owned by MS for a long while, and SEGA has no known investment in this as an ongoing series all this time later. So good on everybody involved (including the studio sign-offs) for bringing about this altruistic work, I hope more studios back this kind of release. (...And I hope they can avoid some of the ugly issues which have plagued other recent re-releases, particularly if they work on games which offer online features.)

PS5/Series re-release ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Nope, this was produced by GoG (and BTW, it took them a year and a half to produce, from negotiations to reworking development.)

BTW though, it would be amazing if a GoG Store could come to the consoles and they could bring some of these types of releases for those platforms too, but it just doesn't make much sense for that to work out...

Last edited:

Kacho

It'd be nice to see this energy towards modern AA games.
Relaaaaaax. I’m not a villain. I was probably overly harsh on Alone in the Dark because of the janky animations. When I saw proper gameplay footage that wasn’t cut to hell it looked serviceable. I’m very much pro AA even if I judge harshly at times.

I would play this again, if there was a way to skip all the combat just play it like a visual novel. I loved the game but remember being very frustrated with the combat controls.

There was a really cool bug that made all enemies disappear if you restarted the mission. No idea if it ever got patched.

Top Bottom