• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amaaaaaaazing new graphics engine:The Offset Engine

Ironclad

3 guys did this. Three!
It is absolutely stunning. There was another topic about this the other day, the video is amazing, especially the small clip of the in-game stuff.

Andy787

Banned
I don't think the UE3 engine is going to stay on top indefinitely. I know it seems like such an unbelievable, untouchable engine, but I think it'll be topped, if not reletively soon. Of course I'm sure they're already well underway on UE4, but I think iD's next engine, or a next-gen console developer (Probably either Konami, SquareEnix, Sega, Sony, or Capcom) will outdo it. Perhaps even Renderware, if the Fight Night demo is any indication. And if Sony actually has an engine that can do stuff like the Getaway demo and the Killzone and Motorstorm videos, in real-time, they win.

J2 Cool

That looks fantastic, though the tiger hill think was weak for some reason. The characters, and the last scene were awesome though.

Doube D

speakin of engines, theres a rumor that sony will outsource its killzone ps3 engine to devs for a special low price if they make the game exclusive.....

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Where did you hear that??

That looks fantastic, though the tiger hill think was weak for some reason. The characters, and the last scene were awesome though.

The thing I liked about those models were that they looked REAL close up....

To me, it looked like a video of a clay model you would have up on your shelf.....it seem to be almost physically 3D and not a polygon model, if you get my drift....

Doube D said:
speakin of engines, theres a rumor that sony will outsource its killzone ps3 engine to devs for a special low price if they make the game exclusive.....

Why not say its a engine for development, would have made alot more sense then giving dodgy answers on rather or not the demo was realtime or target video. Interesting rumor to say the least.

Doube D

OG_Original Gamer said:
Why not say its a engine for development, would have made alot more sense then giving dodgy answers on rather or not the demo was realtime or target video. Interesting rumor to say the least.

I assume because it is the engine for the game first and foremost, and sony would then be willing to let 3rd parties use it?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
The cool thing about the engine is how it can take a model made up of millions of polygons, and squish it down to a few thousand, yet the image still looks amazing. The fact that only three people worked on all of this is very impressive. Their last game, Savage (PC), was pretty damn good and it only had 7 people on the team.

Doube D

Mr Nash said:
The cool thing about the engine is how it can take a model made up of millions of polygons, and squish it down to a few thousand, yet the image still looks amazing. The fact that only three people worked on all of this is very impressive. Their last game, Savage (PC), was pretty damn good and it only had 7 people on the team.

I believe that particular method is old news (normal mapping)? not sure

dorio

Banned
Doube D said:
I believe that particular method is old news (normal mapping)? not sure
Yeah, the unreal engine is adept at doing that too. Like what was said earlier, the most impressive thing to me was that I confused the mesh model for an actual 3d plaster model. Now that's impressive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mr Nash said:

Yeah, normal mapping does the same thing.

I'm not sure, but I think normal mapping effectively stores the angle of each texture pixel, so it can reflect light accordingly. Because this gives you per pixel lighting, you don't need discrete polygons, so you can reduce your polycount a lot while still having the detail from a high poly model.

not that i know anything about game development and shit but this looks awsome!

the lighting effects on thaat first dude was awsome and it looks real close up.

by the way what was that music that they played in this video clip ?

thorns

Banned
If it's true that unreal engine costs $800,000 , it would be really nice to have some way cheaper alternatives.

Borys

Banned
thorns said:
If it's true that unreal engine costs $800,000 , it would be really nice to have some way cheaper alternatives.

Yup, read on some dev's site that it costs up to $1M.

Luckily there were always some alternatives (Mr Carmack).

This engine looks dope, that's true next-gen stuff, amazing.

I cannot wait till Epic buys them out and kills the project :(

RiZ III

Normal mapping gives you per pixel normals [among a lot of other things, normals are used for lighting calculations]. So instead of having per vertex lighting based on the average of all the surrounding triangles, you get per pixel lighting based off of some map, namely the normal map. You can take a really hi poly models, and take the normals off if and make a normal map and apply it to a much lower poly character and it will look almost as good. Or you could just create a random normal map. Kind of like going from per triangle lighting, which gives a faceted look, to per vertex lighting which gives a much more round look. Take that to per pixel lighting which is based off of a much higher polygon object and it looks amazing.

Borys said:
Yup, read on some dev's site that it costs up to $1M.

Luckily there were always some alternatives (Mr Carmack).

This engine looks dope, that's true next-gen stuff, amazing.

I cannot wait till Epic buys them out and kills the project :(

sorry for sounding like a retard when i am asking this question

but what do you mean when you say

I cannot wait till Epic buys them out and kills the project

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It looks amazing. Inspiring that just 3 guys did that (and seemingly only 1 is really doing the coding!). However, how much of the rest of the engine is there beyond rendering? I know they have a little bit from their game in there, but I wonder how solid the rest of the engine currently is compared to its rendering (which looks great). Doing a full game engine is a lot of work!

Doube D

robertsan21 said:

Umm, epic buys them out (pays them for the tech) and either hires them to update UE 3 or just stay out of the way?

Borys

Banned
robertsan21 said:

Epic bought out the other engine (Reality Engine?) recently. They basically want to kill all competition before it even starts.

Here's hoping this stuff prevails!

Doube D

actually I am wondering... how exactly would you go about creating a game engine (graphics, physics...) from scratch? I mean there are so many variables involved...

Doube D said:
Umm, epic buys them out (pays them for the tech) and either hires them to update UE 3 or just stay out of the way?

yes i understood that, but it sounded like Borys said it in a tone that it has happend before.

EDIT: Borys answerd the question :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Doube D said:
actually I am wondering... how exactly would you go about creating a game engine (graphics, physics...) from scratch? I mean there are so many variables involved...

Part of the problem is that you can do so many things in so many different ways. Everything has tradeoffs. So you start making decisions...and those decisions might be wise, or screw you over later.

Not to mention that it is just a lot of hard graft. And a lot of research, especially if you're starting from scratch with no prior knowledge.

Didn't Ezra Dreisbach create the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance game engine pretty much on his own?

I wonder what he is cooking-up for the next gen. When he was at Lobotomy he did the excellent Powerslave (Exhumed) engine for the Saturn, that was also used for the ace Quake 1 conversion.

When you think the Saturn had Quake 1 only a year after the PC release, Tomb Raider (before PSOne), a Resident Evil conversion, a WipeOut conversion and all the Sega 1st Party games, it is amazing it did so badly. The PSOne never got Quake, Quake 2 turned up a long time later, but the Saturn really owned the PSone in the FPS genre in those early days.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Um, am I missing something? From the screens on the website it doesn't seem superior to the UE3 engine, in fact, it looks a tad worse to me.

Gattsu25

Banned
This is from the Savage guys? damn nice looking indeed

capslock, less than 4 people made this engine and are probably NOT going to charge 1 million bucks to liscense it

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:
I highly doubt that.

You do realize that id software is a company of about 25 people right?

Game engines aren't usually huge team efforts. That's art and content. Engines are usually developed by small teams.

Check it out.

Not a very large effort. If you count "game engine" programmers - there are 2. If you want to throw the sound engine guy in there that makes 3.

The days of the lone-engine-programmer-hero sitting in front of a monitor with a cup of coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other are over. There is too much involved in writing an engine on your own (trust me I know) the smart thing to do is do what Epic does and thats write your own Renderer, AI, and Network code as well as their tools but outsource everything else. For example Epic outsource their physics (Novadex) and their texture utilities (Kaldera - texture baking/normal maps, Pixomatic - texture compression) and I think even their sound. They also have a team of 30 devs dedicated to just the engine. However I dont think people should count out Renderware, its cheap and flexible enough to let you extend it yourself. I have worked with it and they do a lot of retarded stuff but for the most part anything you dont like you can rip out. UE 3.0 is just too freakin' expensive, if it was up to me I would write my own engine for next gen especially the renderer since we now have high level apis for ALL the consoles for once (opengl, dx9).

Dr_Cogent

Banned
jboldiga said:
The days of the lone-engine-programmer-hero sitting in front of a monitor with a cup of coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other are over. There is too much involved in writing an engine on your own (trust me I know) the smart thing to do is do what Epic does and thats write your own Renderer, AI, and Network code as well as their tools but outsource everything else. For example Epic outsource their physics (Novadex) and their texture utilities (Kaldera - texture baking/normal maps, Pixomatic - texture compression) and I think even their sound. They also have a team of 30 devs dedicated to just the engine. However I dont think people should count out Renderware, its cheap and flexible enough to let you extend it yourself. I have worked with it and they do a lot of retarded stuff but for the most part anything you dont like you can rip out. UE 3.0 is just too freakin' expensive, if it was up to me I would write my own engine for next gen especially the renderer since we now have high level apis for ALL the consoles for once (opengl, dx9).

No one was talking about outsourcing here. That doesn't count as developers working on an engine. If you take that approach, you might as well include all the devs who write the underlying APIs, compilers, linkers,... blah blah blah. The game engine had thousands of people working on it now.

Hell, count Win32 API for PC games and you just added a buttload of people to the list for a PC game engine.

dorio

Banned
RiZ III said:
Normal mapping gives you per pixel normals [among a lot of other things, normals are used for lighting calculations]. So instead of having per vertex lighting based on the average of all the surrounding triangles, you get per pixel lighting based off of some map, namely the normal map. You can take a really hi poly models, and take the normals off if and make a normal map and apply it to a much lower poly character and it will look almost as good. Or you could just create a random normal map. Kind of like going from per triangle lighting, which gives a faceted look, to per vertex lighting which gives a much more round look. Take that to per pixel lighting which is based off of a much higher polygon object and it looks amazing.
Bravo, Riz! Great explanation.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
capslock said:
Um, am I missing something? From the screens on the website it doesn't seem superior to the UE3 engine, in fact, it looks a tad worse to me.

watch the video. the great thing about this engine is that the characters are not noticeably bump-mapped (i.e., they arent shiny) . at first, i seriously thought i was staring at clay models ..

Dragmire

At first I couldn't tell why everything looked so realistic compared to everything else I've seen (in realtime), but now I think it's the lighting. It projects accurate shadows everywhere. If this is next gen, I'm amazed.

Top Bottom