• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 Minutes of Bodycam Gameplay (New Unreal Engine 5 Multiplayer FPS) — JackFrags

CamHostage

Having an option to disable CA would not affect the gameplay in any capacity whatsoever, I assure you. It would just make the experience more tolerable for people who are physically sensitive to that effect.

How are you not hearing me? The effects ARE the gameplay.

What's fun about these bodycam games is that they look like real bodycam footage, only you are there in control. These are games made to look like reality; play it without effects and bodycam FOV shooters just looks like a normal shooter. And nothing about Bodycam (or Unrecord, so far) beats the gameplay of more familiar shooters. (Worse than that, even, because if you increase the FOV or make the graphics more visible/clear, you take out the tension and fear that the gameplay balance is built around. If you could see what the hell you were doing and had full control of your gun aim, you wouldn't be so scared and you would be able to aim and you would have a distinct advantage in multiplayer combat because you're not dealing with bodycam FOV.)

The game fucks up what you can see and how well you can see it, intentionally, and the limitations create the fun.

The more normal these games look when they don't have effects on, the less they're worth playing. This is an Android app in that same Marketplace area, only it's only got half the effects and a normal gun aim system, and it's relatively pointless so far.

I mean, yes, ultimately you may be able to switch off this bugaboo Chromatic Aberration and the game will be less visually annoying to you and you'll like it better that way. But if you are looking for ways to make bodycam FOV games less like bodycam FOV games, you're better off asking yourself why you're even bothering to play bodycam FOV games.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah folks are weird and don't get wtf they like about a thing. Like wanting to see it in VR or whatever. Why would you want a body (or helmet or handheld or whatever other type of) cam POV in VR and not an actual eye POV? That'd be so weird/off/bad/puke inducing.

The shaky cam and what not also obviously won't be in VR because that happens naturally but your eye/gaze/head auto adjust and to you it looks steady, your head is basically a steady cam, it's not shaky in your POV but if others watch footage of your POV it is, as when you watch VR gameplay.

Basically all that makes it look more realistic here will not at all apply in a VR version. Which might still make for a fun game if adapted well enough of course but no it's not weird at all if the dev doesn't see merit in doing that and focuses on what makes it look like body cam as a non VR game.

I guess camera lens effets can be in as some AR visor you're wearing distorting the view somewhat or whatever other justification, but the POV has to be an eye level true first person POV (it's different for 3rd person VR games, it's not a similar but slightly off view like your eyes are on your chest).

I could still like it in VR if the core game is a good tactical action or horror or whatever experience, VR always makes shooter gameplay great & immersing if adapted properly, but all its gimmicks would be gone and replaced with VR so there's no reason to specifically clamor for this one game.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Yeah folks are weird and don't get wtf they like about a thing. Like wanting to see it in VR or whatever.

Why would you want a body (or helmet or handheld or whatever other type of) cam POV in VR and not an actual eye POV? That'd be so weird/off/bad/puke inducing.

The shaky cam and what not also obviously won't be in VR because that happens naturally but your eye/gaze/head auto adjust and to you it looks steady, your head is basically a steady cam, it's not shaky in your POV but if others watch footage of your POV it is, as when you watch VR gameplay.

Basically all that makes it look more realistic here will not at all apply in a VR version. Which might still make for a fun game if adapted well enough of course but no it's not weird at all if the dev doesn't see merit in doing that and focuses on what makes it look like body cam as a non VR game.

I guess camera lens effets can be in, maybe it's not camera lens but an AR visor you're wearing distorting your view somewhat or whatever other justification, but the POV has to be an eye level true first person POV (and it's different for 3rd person VR games, it's not a similar but slightly off view).
Pretty much.

VR would completely negate the entire concept of this game.
Even the graphics will look less realistic because you can obviously see it's just a game, detracting even more from the wow-factor it has now.

CamHostage CamHostage A lot of PC gamers don’t get it and won’t care to. It’s why AAA devs stopped chasing that ‘movie look’ during the late PS3/Early PS4 generations with video games like The Order 1886, Ryse, Driveclub, and Need For Speed 2016, when they used to add the effects you’re mentioning. Instead most of them went back to either colorful or realism or a mix of the two with no added bells or whistles aside from the usual ray tracing/lighting and texture stuff. Hell, even a slight hint of motion blur is starting to be seen as less and less acceptable.

Some uglier current gen AAA games could easily have been helped with some added effects, but it was all shunned away, so they’ll just remain ugly. People wonder why, but don’t like the answer 🤷‍♂️

The ‘PC look’ won in the end. Hopefully you and others get what I mean by that.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I understand the reason they added it, but it doesn't make it any less distracting and headache-inducing. They better include an option to disable it.
It doesn’t give you headache. It would look less convincing without probably

Robb

Gold Member
Neat idea, but that fish-eye camera is vomit inducing. I wouldn’t be able to play this I think.

I think it is super impressive that 2 very young guys made this, but they totally ripped off that Unrecorded game. Which is not a crime (probably), but I just feel bad for the dude making Unrecorded.

- the exact same look and location
- the blurring of the faces
- drones
- basically the whole concept, but instead this is a multiplayer game

Having said that, I think this is incredibly cool looking. I have no idea if it plays well or anything, but it's at least different from a standard FPS game.
And like Jackfrags said: we probably going to see a ton of these bodycam kind of games now..

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
How are you not hearing me? The effects ARE the gameplay immersion.

Fixed that for you. And so that I'm being very clear, I am referring here specifically and only to chromatic aberration. I'm not talking about the fisheye lens FOV, or the free-aim system, or the shaky cam. All of those, particularly the first two, are directly linked to the gameplay in terms of how much information is available on the screen at any time and how you're able to move/aim your weapon. Chromatic aberration, by contrast, does not impact the gameplay at all, it's there purely for immersion, to sell the illusion that you're viewing the world through a bodycam. The same reason why these sorts of games aim for photorealistic lighting and textures instead of stylized graphics. If you, or rather, if the developers are so convinced that the 1-millimeter radius along the outer edge of the screen being obscured by color fringing is so critical to the experience, then they can overlay a fucking vignette or whatever to achieve the same outcome and maintain balance in multiplayer. The CA that's present along object edges across the rest of the screen does not inhibit or distort your vision to any noticeable degree; again, it's there just for immersive purposes, and having an option to disable it would not affect the way you play the game.

CA is still present in the video you linked, so apparently it's not for lack of it that makes the game seem like an inferior product to you.

I mean, yes, ultimately you may be able to switch off this bugaboo Chromatic Aberration and the game will be less visually annoying to you and you'll like it better that way. But if you are looking for ways to make bodycam FOV games less like bodycam FOV games, you're better off asking yourself why you're even bothering to play bodycam FOV games.

I've not played any of these games before, my first time seeing one in action was the announcement of Unrecord last year. But I'm interested in them because 1) they offer a novel perspective, different from the standard FPS, 2) they make use of a free-aim system similar to games like Red Orchestra 2 and Insurgency, which I really enjoyed, and 3) they offer photorealistic graphics and animations, which I'm a huge fan of.

I just want to try these games without experiencing headaches caused by CA, man, that's all.

It doesn’t give you headache. It would look less convincing without probably

lol. "Nah, bro, you didn't actually have headaches when playing Payday 2 and Bloodborne, you're just imagining things."

Don't butt in if you're just going to post stupid shit.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fixed that for you. And so that I'm being very clear, I am referring here specifically and only to chromatic aberration. I'm not talking about the fisheye lens FOV, or the free-aim system, or the shaky cam. All of those, particularly the first two, are directly linked to the gameplay in terms of how much information is available on the screen at any time and how you're able to move/aim your weapon. Chromatic aberration, by contrast, does not impact the gameplay at all, it's there purely for immersion, to sell the illusion that you're viewing the world through a bodycam. The same reason why these sorts of games aim for photorealistic lighting and textures instead of stylized graphics. If you, or rather, if the developers are so convinced that the 1-millimeter radius along the outer edge of the screen being obscured by color fringing is so critical to the experience, then they can overlay a fucking vignette or whatever to achieve the same outcome and maintain balance in multiplayer. The CA that's present along object edges across the rest of the screen does not inhibit or distort your vision to any noticeable degree; again, it's there just for immersive purposes, and having an option to disable it would not affect the way you play the game.

CA is still present in the video you linked, so apparently it's not for lack of it that makes the game seem like an inferior product to you.

I've not played any of these games before, my first time seeing one in action was the announcement of Unrecord last year. But I'm interested in them because 1) they offer a novel perspective, different from the standard FPS, 2) they make use of a free-aim system similar to games like Red Orchestra 2 and Insurgency, which I really enjoyed, and 3) they offer photorealistic graphics and animations, which I'm a huge fan of.

I just want to try these games without experiencing headaches caused by CA, man, that's all.

lol. "Nah, bro, you didn't actually have headaches when playing Payday 2 and Bloodborne, you're just imagining things."

Don't butt in if you're just going to post stupid shit.
Of course you don’t have a headache from ca lol. You are not going to bs anyone.
I suggest going to a doctor. Maybe you have other condition.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Of course you don’t have a headache from ca lol. You are not going to bs anyone.
I suggest going to a doctor. Maybe you have other condition.

Piss off, dumbass. It's literally in the name. "Aberration," that is, abnormal or defective. If you don't comprehend how it might lead to eye strain or headaches for some people, take some time to educate yourself before spouting garbage. Here's an article to help get you started: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK597386/

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Piss off, dumbass. It's literally in the name. "Aberration," that is, abnormal or defective. If you don't comprehend how it might lead to eye strain or headaches for some people, take some time to educate yourself before spouting garbage. Here's an article to help get you started: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK597386/
it's not that severe. Just some color fringing. Seriously, I was not joking. If you get headache from this, it's your health problem.
I've never head of anyone having headache from ca lens effect.... So I will continue to not believe you. I literally cannot imagine it and I am not antagonizing you.
FOV? maaaybe although people like to over exaggerate too.

do you get headache form playing Elden Ring? tons of CA there

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nothing in that article says that CA as in, chosen colors of an image, can cause such anguish to anybody. It only mentions potential discomfort when your own eyes post-operation or via contact/lenses distort everything you see in that manner, making it hard to read under certain lighting conditions or whatever else. An artist's impression of CA on a video/video game/photo/painting/text interpreter is not due to distorted/abnormal vision on your end as you're in fact viewing the colors as they're drawn/presented and thus it's a completely different thing to actual affected vision. Did you read?

Guess what, seeing a painting or animation interpretation of the sun isn't like looking directly at the sun with no protection (unless your magical monitor matches its 1.6 billion nits, lol) and looking at the out of focus parts of images shows a blur without detail, not your eyes going out of focus 🤯
Good, you managed to pick out the key piece of information
Yes, you didn't & live in a delusion of your own making with no scientific basis in reality even though that's what you tried to prove with an article that is neither a study nor endorses your claim, contrary to your complete misrepresentation of one word I used (that isn't in the article, you didn't read).

Keep googling, you may find another's unsubstantiated opinion matching your fabricated mental conditioning (or simple lying).

Last edited:

Madjako

In the Jackfrags comments, people say it's two different games by two different teams. But one guy says both games are using the same graffiti texture pack. So must be some Unreal asset store purchase they are both using.
Though this was the same game. How can it be 2 different games ? Not only the graphics but the gameplay is the exact same, such as level design. Everything is copy/paste...

DaciaJC

Gold Member
it's not that severe. Just some color fringing. Seriously, I was not joking. If you get headache from this, it's your health problem.
I've never head of anyone having headache from ca lens effect.... So I will continue to not believe you. I literally cannot imagine it and I am not antagonizing you.
FOV? maaaybe although people like to over exaggerate too.

Wallow in ignorance, then.

do you get headache form playing Elden Ring? tons of CA there

No, since I installed a mod that removes it.

Nothing in that article says that CA as in, chosen colors of an image, can cause such anguish to anybody. It only mentions potential discomfort when your own eyes post-operation or via contact/lenses distort everything you see in that manner, making it hard to read under certain lighting conditions or whatever else. An artist's impression of CA on a video/video game/photo/painting/text interpreter is not due to distorted/abnormal vision on your end as you're in fact viewing the colors as they're drawn/presented and thus it's a completely different thing to actual affected vision. Did you read?

Good, you managed to pick out the key piece of information, that this optical defect can lead to discomfort. Now take that knowledge and apply it to games, try to connect the dots as to how a post-processing effect that mimics the same color distortion might cause similar issues for the player. True, there isn't a research paper detailing the health consequences of CA in video games because it's a very niche topic, imagine that. But feel free to run a Google search "chromatic aberration headache" and you'll find plenty of others complaining about the same damned thing.

mona_abbr.png

When I look at this image, I immediately feel like my eyes are having some trouble properly focusing. Take that ocular strain and apply it over the duration of an average gaming session, and it should be understandable how the fatigue turns into a headache. Hopefully that makes it clear enough for you.

CamHostage

Though this was the same game. How can it be 2 different games ? Not only the graphics but the gameplay is the exact same, such as level design. Everything is copy/paste...

$80 for the character animation and bodybob camera...

$20-100 for the perspective/distortion post-processing blueprints...

$60 for the Abandoned Russian Building level...

$20 for sounds of guns and another $20 for some soldier models...

The business of making games has changed and materials are out there to assemble games from pre-fab parts. Developers will run into trouble relying on these parts, however, as they become easily recognizable as the good ones get used frequently.

(*Not saying these are the assets of Bodycam or Unrecord, but the reason material bunches up is because marketplace designers target assets for needs like this.)

Danknugz

just a bunch of photogrammetry

edit: i thought this was "unrecord", looks exactly the same.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$80 for the character animation and bodybob camera...

$20-100 for the perspective/distortion post-processing blueprints...

$60 for the Abandoned Russian Building level...

$20 for sounds of guns and another $20 for some soldier models...

The business of making games has changed and materials are out there to assemble games from pre-fab parts. Developers will run into trouble relying on these parts, however, as they become easily recognizable as the good ones get used frequently.

(*Not saying these are the assets of Bodycam or Unrecord, but the reason material bunches up is because marketplace designers target assets for needs like this.)
I;m no game maker, but I find it cool and amazingly cheap to round up assets to build a game. Sounds like someone who knows how to put together a basic game from asset store purchases might be able to build a game for a couple thousand dollars.

You'd think the creators might sell these files for $1000s each. But I guess competition and such from others. I dont know.

If a programmer knew how to put together a game using UE and some e-store purchases (not caring if it's repetitive stuff other games might have), could someone put together a half decent shooter for lets say $2000 or $5000 of files? I'm not saying AAA budget quality, but a half decent barebones indie quality shooter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom