• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon launches their video service called Unbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/16261631/ref=topnav_storetab_atv?tag2=weeno

Macrumors.com said:
SeattlePI reports that Amazon launched their video download service today -- dubbed "Amazon Unbox".

The service offers television shows, movies and other videos from over 30 studios and networks. TV shows will sell for $1.99 while Movies range from $7.99 - $14.99. If you prefer to rent, Movies can be rented for $3.99 each.

The movies are provided in two formats: a "DVD Quality" version and a portable-device compatible one. System requirements are listed:

Windows XP Professional, Home Edition,Media Center or Tablet PC. A Computer running 900 Mhz or greater, with aminimum of 256 MB of RAM, and 200 MB of hard disk space.
Movies are accessed and played through the Amazon Unbox Video Player.

For an example, The Matrix sells for $9.88 with the DVD quality version being 2.2GB with a 2500kbps Video Bitrate and 5.1 Audio while the portable version is 520MB.

Apple is widely expected to launch their movie service on September 12th, but there have been rumors that they may launch with only one studio due to negotiation difficulties with the studios.

Looks like it doesn't work in Mac OSX.

Edit: More information.

You can not use this with Mac OSX.
OPERATING SYSTEM: The Amazon Unbox video player application is only compatible with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition SP2, or Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 2. The Amazon Unbox video player is not compatible with Apple/Macintosh operating systems.

You can not watch the video/film on your TV unless you can hook your PC to the TV using a DVI, S-video, or HDMI cable.
Can I use Amazon Unbox with my TV?
Amazon Unbox only works when installed on a personal computer or Media Center PC. You can also transfer videos to an approved hand-held device using the Amazon Unbox. If you have the capability to connect your TV to a PC or hand-held device, you can watch videos purchased at the Amazon Unbox store on your television. Please refer to the documentation for your computer hardware for more information about your machine's capability to interface with a television.

IntestineBoy

Sasquatch of 1000 (hairy) colons
for some reason, i think this unbox sounds like a bunch of crap. and the files sound big as hell.

You can't even use component video? People rip DVDs of these movies and they think they are stopping anything by blocking Unbox from component video? :lol

Oh, I don't know, I like the idea of such a service - something with a big selection that you can either buy or rent from, safely and legally and get a good quality movie. Seems like a good idea to me. I am curious to see what the iTunes movie store will look like versus the Amazon one in terms of selection and user friendliness, but I'm into this as a concept.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like a service that just offers me the small portable version. I have no intention of connecting my PC up to my screen to watch a shitty half DVD bitrate movie. But I'll buy a portable version for less money.

I'm pretty sure that the point is that you get a decent quality movie if you buy it through one of these services. I don't think it'd be crappy quality - looking at the quality of tv shows you can already buy through itunes, those have excellent quality and sound. i'd much rather buy a good quality digital copy of a film than have a crappy bootleg or pirated copy of something. (maybe it'll even stop so many people from pirating movies on line in the first place, if they can just buy a decent digital copy.) i'd definitely be willing to buy a movie that looked like those tv downloads in terms of quality (not the portable ones though as alas i do not have a video ipod! sigh. though if they ever come out with the "true" video ipod, with a bigger screen, i'd totally get one to watch movies on.

That DRM remover FairUse4WM can already remove the DRM from these amazon unbox movies. Once the DRM is removed the user can convert the video to dvd or an iPod compatible format.

The dvd quality version is 640x480 and the portable one is 320x240. This is pretty good quality, but the price is way too high for a digtal format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom