• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon to buy Whole Foods for $13.7 billion cash

sangreal

Wow, that's unexpected

I wonder how this will ultimately play out with amazon fresh and amazons automated grocery ambitions

Should've dumped their right-wing CEO but oh well

The Lamp

Oh man. I hope they keep the HQ in Austin. There are a decent number of jobs there....

I'm worried Amazon is buying a name for their grocery delivery service.

They're buying a company with a "fresh" connotation to their food that they can marry with their delivery service.

If you haven't already, start investing in grocery eCommerce

Pastry

Banned
Whole Foods has been pretty garbage for a while but damn that's a lot of money, the name still holds well.

Good luck with Amazon making inroads in Texas beyond he existing Whole Foods infrastructure. HEB gonna eat their lunch.

I know this is out there but does Amazon do away with the Whole Foods name since they are associated with ultra expensive food and have been damaged goods for the past couple of years. Could give them an opportunity to start fresh.

br3wnor

Even if they run the stores themselves as independent outlets, you have to think the distribution part will serve to extend AmazonFresh exponentially.

That's my assumption. Getting that Dash Wand soon which comes with 3 months free of Fresh so looking forward to see if it's worth $15 a month. If they can incorporate Whole Foods into the mix and lower the pricing a bit, will be pretty enticing (closest Whole Foods to me is like 30 minutes away)

If someone is an Amazon shareholder, would this be good news for them as well?

(I have no idea how stocks work)

I don't know a ton about stocks either but in terms of Amazon stock all this will do is either increase or decrease it's value slightly, shouldn't have a major effect considering the tiny percentage of Amazon's business this will ultimately reflect.

Whole Food stock though will be much more directly effected in a positive way.

johnny956

I'm really curious how this will affect Amazon Fresh. Hope its not detrimental

I would think it would expand it honestly. They have points of distribution for delivery in almost every city with this purchase. I'm also expecting Whole Foods prices to drop. Won't compete with Walmart or Aldi but not as outrageous as it is now

Hari Seldon

I know this is out there but does Amazon do away with the Whole Foods name since they are associated with ultra expensive food and have been damaged goods for the past couple of years. Could give them an opportunity to start fresh.

Yeah they should. Whole foods is associated with overpriced garbage, they should totally just dump the name and rename it Amazon Foods or someshit.

Angst

AMZN stock should rise on this news, right? It'll be interesting to see if it can rise more than æ the old all-time high.

FreezeSSC

Wow! But hasn't whole foods been struggling last few years? A lot of other groceries have hoped on the organic band wagon and offer it cheaper than whole foods making their sales go down.

Tobor

Does this mean Prime Now distribution centers will start stocking While Foods products?

I hope not. I want a case of Coke Cherry Zero, not the Stevia flavored iced dirty dish water Whole Foods sells.

vypek

This move has to be completely geared on expanding Amazon Fresh. Otherwise it makes no sense.

I would think it would expand it honestly. They have points of distribution for delivery in almost every city with this purchase. I'm also expecting Whole Foods prices to drop. Won't compete with Walmart or Aldi but not as outrageous as it is now

I do expect an expansion of Fresh but it also makes me wonder if the quality of products will change or if prices have a chance of rising with this move. Or if the cost of service to be in the Fresh program will change. All around it does seem like it'll be a great move for Amazon themselves. I just don't know enough about business to know if it will affect customers.

Belker

Here in the UK Amazon works with a low-mid tier supermark called Morrisons. I imagine it's a stock/supply chain operation.

I think this might be more meaningful for Amazon in the US than it is here. There aren't many Whole Food stores in the UK, so I'm not how how many areas Amazon FreshFoods would cover.

Barzul

Think this ties into their current store automation presence. Lets them test multiple locations at once in a pilot, under an already very recognizable brand. Walmart needs to be concerned for sure. Who knows how far along Amazon really is on that front? If they can get it up and running in 5 years, retail as we know it is changed forever.

-Silver-

Amazon announced some brick and mortar shopping store recently. You walk out without going through a checkout line. Cameras follow you and bill your account.

Maybe they're going to do that with WF.

So... can you walk in with your friend, tell him to hold an item as you both walk out?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Fruit tart delivery will be mine.

Also probably in Amazon's best interest to consider purchasing these brick and mortar stores that pose the greatest competition, such as Whole Foods and Best Buy (as mentioned above).

Macy's next? lol

Top Bottom