• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD confirms Ryzen 7000X3D will remain top gaming performer ahead of 9000 series launch

//DEVIL//

Not sure if old. But kinda explains why the rumor about the 9000x3D is rumored to be around Sept / Oct release

This CPU is a big skip if you are just focusing on gaming for the most part. I do not recommend anyone actually to buy it for gaming. Even more so with the recent price cut for the 3D processors.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Is there any reason get something over the 7800x3D? Is there something that requires even that much power?

//DEVIL//

Is there any reason get something over the 7800x3D? Is there something that requires even that much power?
If there is one thing the CPU is lacking, is its being useless at 4K for the most part as the GPU will do most of the heavy lifting.

But if there is a CPU that is actually powerful to help, then it would be a great jump in technology.

However from the rumours . The zen5 3d doesn’t seem to be much more powerful than the 7800x 3D. So anyone who bought that cpu is fine

Posted in the prediction thread, but yeah it probably does deserve its own thread.

Doesn't bode well for Zen5 3D. Zen4 3D to Zen5 3D could be the smallest % gap between 3D CPUs yet.

Wonder who would pay $450 for another 8-Core if it only ended up being a 10% increase over Zen4 3D.
10-15% is always something. For so many years next generations of Intel i7 were usually 15% faster compared to the previous generation and Intel fans were happy with that.

Maybe Intel's Arrow Lake CPUs will be faster compared to AMD's products, but at least people who want to buy the 9800X3D will not have to worry about their CPU degrading and that's the case with Intel CPUs.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Might still jump from my 5930k (2014) to the 9800x3D.

But you'll be amazing how performant the old 5930k still is. It still up there with the Zen 2's in the PS5/XSeries, meaning i'm still able to play "current gen only" titles like Alan Wake 2 at a smooth 60. Even Starfield performed smooth (apart from dips in Akila). CPU's have stagnated significantly the last 10 years and games lean more heavily on GPU's over the years.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Wondering if its good idea to go from my i5 12400f to Ryzen 9900X3D?

At this point, we don't have independent benchmarks for Zen5, nor Arrow Lake. So it's impossible to have a proper grasp of the improvements.

The best we can do is some estimations. And consider that it has a chance of being wrong.
A 14900KF is around 30% faster in gaming, than a 12400F.
AMD claims that Zen5 is faster than a 14900KF by 16%.
And the X3D parts, are usually 20-30% faster than the non X3D parts, in gaming.
So maybe, the difference between a 12400f and a 9700X3D will be around 66-76%.
If you are not bottlenecked by the GPU. And if the game scales well with CPU performance.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wondering if its good idea to go from my i5 12400f to Ryzen 9900X3D?

12400 brothers!!!!!
157ca4442210839d6f798389713be563.jpg

Im thinking of slotting in a 13900 or 146K and skipping LGA1851 and AM5 all together.
I recently started playing on my 4K panel outright (smaller apartment so having an ultrawide and a TV didnt make sense, so decided just to keep the TV)
So the 12400 got a quick boon because at 4K it holds 60 easy.
Using DLSS I should get some advantages getting to around 100fps using a 139 or 146K without needing to buy a whole new platform.

But if ArrowLake is really good I might try sell my LGA1700 and get one of those.

Sanepar

At this point, we don't have independent benchmarks for Zen5, nor Arrow Lake. So it's impossible to have a proper grasp of the improvements.

The best we can do is some estimations. And consider that it has a chance of being wrong.
If you are not bottlenecked by the GPU. And if the game scales well with CPU performance.
30% in 1080p right? I have a 12700k and only play @4k i can't see a path for upgrade. 14900k is barely 10% faster in 4k Maybe zen6 or intel 16th. Maybe.

Bojji

30% in 1080p right? I have a 12700k and only play @4k i can't see a path for upgrade. 14900k is barely 10% faster in 4k Maybe zen6 or intel 16th. Maybe.

If you use dlss performance in 4k you can again see cpu performance ~1080p. It's not hard to become cpu limited in modern games.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Might still jump from my 5930k (2014) to the 9800x3D.

But you'll be amazing how performant the old 5930k still is. It still up there with the Zen 2's in the PS5/XSeries, meaning i'm still able to play "current gen only" titles like Alan Wake 2 at a smooth 60. Even Starfield performed smooth (apart from dips in Akila). CPU's have stagnated significantly the last 10 years and games lean more heavily on GPU's over the years.
I have the same 5930k from 2015 and still running fine at 4k. Might look into the 9000x3D and keep that for the next decade.

Are the 8 core x3D better than >8 core x3D? As I would also consider the cpu for video editing, etc.

Bojji

I have the same 5930k from 2015 and still running fine at 4k. Might look into the 9000x3D and keep that for the next decade.

Are the 8 core x3D better than >8 core x3D? As I would also consider the cpu for video editing, etc.

For games 3d CPUs with more than 8 cores are usually the same or slightly worse (bad core affinity in windows that exposes core latency or use cores without big cache) but if you want to do other stuff than gaming then yeah, you want 7900x3d or 7950x3d.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

ArrowLake is the second gen Core Ultra.
There isnt going to be a 15th or 16th gen Core i

RaptorLake is already a decent improvement on AlderLake but certainly wouldnt be worth a new platform (lucky you can just slot it in)
ArrowLake vs AlderLake would be a pretty sizeable upgrade.....whether said upgrade would be worth it is a different question.
If you are playing at native 4K like a fool, then you are highly highly likely GPU bound.....you could be using a 10th gen Core i with DDR4 and getting near identical results to a 14th gen or 7800X3D.
Your big gains will come from GPU upgrades not CPU upgrades.

min-cyberpunk-2077-3840-2160.png

min-cyberpunk-2077-rt-3840-2160.png

If you are still happy with your 12700K then dont even bother looking at benchmarks because there will be no gains till GPU are fast enough that new CPUs can properly pull away at 4K.
I dont think thats going to with Blackwell.

The reason I havent upgraded from my 12400 (i was supposed to when the 13th gen came out) is beause at 4KDLSS im not gaining anywhere near what I was hoping id be gaining......so this shitty little CPU might actually survive the whole entire LGA1700 generation.

Last edited:

Sanepar

12700k mb supports 14700kf right?
ArrowLake is the second gen Core Ultra.
There isnt going to be a 15th or 16th gen Core i

RaptorLake is already a decent improvement on AlderLake but certainly wouldnt be worth a new platform (lucky you can just slot it in)
ArrowLake vs AlderLake would be a pretty sizeable upgrade.....whether said upgrade would be worth it is a different question.
If you are playing at native 4K like a fool, then you are highly highly likely GPU bound.....you could be using a 10th gen Core i with DDR4 and getting near identical results to a 14th gen or 7800X3D.
Your big gains will come from GPU upgrades not CPU upgrades.

min-cyberpunk-2077-3840-2160.png

min-cyberpunk-2077-rt-1920-1080.png

If you are still happy with your 12700K then dont even bother looking at benchmarks because there will be no gains till GPU are fast enough that new CPUs can properly pull away at 4K.
I dont think thats going to with Blackwell.

The reason I havent upgraded from my 12400 (i was supposed to when the 13th gen came out) is beause at 4KDLSS im not gaining anywhere near what I was hoping id be gaining......so this shitty little CPU might actually survive the whole entire LGA1700 generation.
Is it worth to exchange a 12700 for a 14700kf and wait for Zen6?

simpatico

Any “tock” upgrade makes life hell for the marketing department. But it seems like a necessary step to recoup on a given architecture.

simpatico

waiting for the benchmarks of the 9800x3d vs the new Intel offerings to decide my upgrade path (Still on a 7700k)
I just left a 6700k for a 7800x3D. Perf boost is great, but fan noise is a bit of a downgrade. Never heard the Intel. The AMD I hear fans spool up during Steam downloads or even streaming 4K video. Not ideal, but for my research it’s the best option if you’re only using it for gaming. The Intels are still a better buy if you’re using it for any other demanding task.

Black_Stride

12700k mb supports 14700kf right?

Is it worth to exchange a 12700 for a 14700kf and wait for Zen6?

Yes.
All the last of the final core i generations fit into LGA1700.
12. 13. 14 even the rumored but unlikely rerefresh will be LGA1700.

A 14700K is a ¬400 dollar CPU?
Thats about the price difference between the top tier GPUs.
If you are gaming, save that 400 dollars for a higher tier GPU......youll get alot better performance from your 12700 + 5090 than from a 14700 + 5080.
At 4K you are GPU bound, the whole stack of LGA1700 Core i basically scores the same.

If you actually do MT workloads then the 14700K was the only 14th gen worth buying.

If youve just got some money to burn but dont really know what to do with it buy 10 Selaco game codes and give them away to GAFers who like such games.
Itll make the devs happy, make the gaffers happy and if you need that dopamine hit the devs are likely gonna give you a personalized thank you.

But seriously yes the 14700K is quite an upgrade over the 12700K

Bry0

I just left a 6700k for a 7800x3D. Perf boost is great, but fan noise is a bit of a downgrade. Never heard the Intel. The AMD I hear fans spool up during Steam downloads or even streaming 4K video. Not ideal, but for my research it’s the best option if you’re only using it for gaming. The Intels are still a better buy if you’re using it for any other demanding task.
Are you sure it’s not just your motherboard fan settings? By default they tend to be overly aggressive.

simpatico

Are you sure it’s not just your motherboard fan settings? By default they tend to be overly aggressive.
I get a nice spike to the mid 60s when a download starts. It levels off in a matter of seconds. I don’t know how much changing the fan curve is gonna help that. Maybe just wait until 80c to ramp up? I dunno.

Klik

Thx.I think then i would definitely benefit from better CPU like 9900X3D since i play VR Quest 3.

MikeM

I’m not going to lay any judgment until they release and we get proper benchmarks. Lets be real though- v-cache can have enormous benefits that straight up IPC won’t be able to catch up to for a gen or two.

What is good is that generally all games benefit from IPC lift- cache can be selective in perf upgrades as some games don’t care for it at all.

Leonidas

Stop making AMDs ludicrous claims even more outreageous, AMD claimed 13% (average over 6 cherry picked games), in a very constrained scenario against Intels CPU.

AMD conceding defeat for 9700X to an over 1 year old Zen4 3D CPU tells me what I need to know to say with that there is a very good chance that Zen5 trades blows with Raptor Lake.

Zen4 3D was barely faster than Raptor Lake in gaming, if Zen5 loses to Zen4 3D, that means it has to be very close to Raptor Lake in gaming.

winjer

Gold Member
Stop making AMDs ludicrous claims even more outreageous, AMD claimed 13% (average over 6 cherry picked games), in a very constrained scenario against Intels CPU.

AMD conceding defeat for 9700X to an over 1 year old Zen4 3D CPU tells me what I need to know to say with that there is a very good chance that Zen5 trades blows with Raptor Lake.

Zen4 3D was barely faster than Raptor Lake in gaming, if Zen5 loses to Zen4 3D, that means it has to be very close to Raptor Lake in gaming.

AMD claimed 16% in several real world applications and games. Unlike Intel, that only used synthetic benchmarks, one of them is made by Intel.
In a leveled playing field. You just don't like that Intel can't have all advantages, such as unlimited power limits and higher speed memory.
We all know that the reason you post those aggregate tables from reddit is because you want to hide reviews that had much slower memory on Zen4, to pretend that the difference to Intel is much greater that what it really is.

We all were expecting that the 7800X3D would continue to be the fastest CPU for games. So many people here said immediately, that they are only interested in the 9800X3D.

But even 16% IPC improvement, is enough to pass Raptor lake. Though not by a huge margin.
Then again, the 14% IPC for Intel is also a limited jump. And with Intel shying away from showing real world programs and games, they might be hiding something.

Leonidas

In a leveled playing field. You just don't like that Intel can't have all advantages, such as unlimited power limits and higher speed memory.
In a leveled playing field Intel is only held back like 2-3% in memory, I don't give a shit about that.

I care about the cherry picking making it look like Zen5 is over 10% faster in gaming than Raptor Lake when there is not a chance in hell for that to happen, especially after AMD conceded defeat to Zen4 3D.

winjer

Gold Member
In a leveled playing field Intel is only held back like 2-3% in memory, I don't give a shit about that.

I care about the cherry picking making it look like Zen5 is over 10% faster in gaming than Raptor Lake when there is not a chance in hell for that to happen, especially after AMD conceded defeat to Zen4 3D.

Remember that I'm the one who told you that the difference in Intel, between 6000 and 7200 Mbps, was only 2-3%.
I'm the one that showed you the benchmarks for memory scaling, at a time when you where whining about AMD having used "only" 6000 Mbps memory.
I'm the one that though you the importance of the increase in L2 cache for 13th gen. And much more.

Leonidas

Remember that I'm the one who told you that the difference in Intel, between 6000 and 7200 Mbps, was only 2-3%.
I learned that from benchmarks, ages ago, not you.

I also tune my memory (every primary, secondary and tertiary, among several other settings) and know how much faster in can be in some situations, and I don't cry when reivewers don't do the same becaue very few people do it.

I'm the one that though you the importance of the increase in L2 cache for 13th gen. And much more.
I knew that already.

I've learned nothing from you. Listening to you is like listening to AMD marketing BS.

winjer

Gold Member
I learned that from benchmarks, ages ago, not you.

I also tune my memory (every primary, secondary and tertiary, among several other settings) and know how much faster in can be in some situations, and I don't cry when reivewers don't do the same becaue very few people do it

If that was true, you would not have spent so much time whining about AMD having run both CPUs at 6000 Mbps.

I knew that already.

I've learned nothing from you. Listening to you is like listening to AMD marketing BS.

I'll quote myself and you from another thread, when we were talking about the caches.

You can't just say the 6% difference comes from bigger L2. You have no proof of this.

7600X has bigger L3 than 13600K and higher clocks, and still loses.

The 12900K and 13700K have the exact same core count for P and E cores. And just 200Mhz difference in boost clocks.
Yet, they have a difference of 7% performance. The difference is L2 cache size.

And L2 cache is always more important than L3 cache. As it has lower latency and higher bandwidth.
Beside, the L3 cache in Zen4 is just a victim cache. An I think the L3 cache on Raptor lake is also a victim cache.

Another thing to consider is that the 13600K has more cores, than the 13600K. They are E-cores, but they do manage to alleviate background tasks.

If true, good thing it seems Intel had the wherewithal to increase L2 further. Arrow Lake rumored to have 3MB per core.

Yet another reason Arrow will probably beat Zen5 (unless AMD engineers had the wherewithal to also greatly increase L2, but then how will they sell V-Cache CPUs later on?)

Leonidas

If that was true, you would not have spent so much time whining about AMD having run both CPUs at 6000 Mbps.
I didn't spend much time on the RAM, you focused on that.

I am focused on AMDs bullshit cherry picking though, that will be clear as day when the reviews hit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
By fan noise are you referring to the fan on your cpu cooler or the fan built into the mobo cooling the chipset?

Leonidas

Sure, it's always AMD's fault....
The AMD guy who said Zen5 lost to Zen4 3D was probably correct. They know how it performs, but they aren't giving the true picture in marketing.

The marketing slides against 14900K in gaming is complete bullshit and anyone who falls for it is an idiot (or very uninformed about how AMD has been twisting numbers recently in marketing).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The AMD guy who said Zen5 lost to Zen4 3D was probably correct. They know how it performs, but they aren't giving the true picture in marketing.

The marketing slides against 14900K in gaming is complete bullshit and anyone who falls for it is an idiot (or very uninformed about how AMD has been twisting numbers recently in marketing).
Oh look, non strictly awesome AMD news and you come out eh ;)? Of course, shilling for Intel…

Bry0

I get a nice spike to the mid 60s when a download starts. It levels off in a matter of seconds. I don’t know how much changing the fan curve is gonna help that. Maybe just wait until 80c to ramp up? I dunno.
Mine did that too, I just set up a less steep curve. It’s very quiet now.

No shilling here
Your lack of input on Intel throwing board partners under the bus says otherwise.

StereoVsn

For games 3d CPUs with more than 8 cores are usually the same or slightly worse (bad core affinity in windows that exposes core latency or use cores without big cache) but if you want to do other stuff than gaming then yeah, you want 7900x3d or 7950x3d.
Don’t get 7900x3D, performance in gaming is substandard to 7800x3D. IMO if you are going AMD, it’s either 7800x3D or 7950x3D. The other options are pointless at the high end.

Top Bottom