• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Zen 5 Ryzen 9000 Desktop Gaming Performance Predictions. How fast in gaming do you think it will be?

Predict the gaming performance of the fastest Zen 5 processor at the Zen5 launch this year.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nothing from Zen4 dominated the 13600K.

13600K was negligibly faster in gaming compared to the 7700X with the latter only needing to consume 2/3 the power of the former and faster in multi-thread apps Cinebench, which does not reflect actual real-world application use, while consuming comically and disproportionately more power against more and less expensive Zen4 CPUs...
Don't mind me, just making the necessary corrections to more accurately depict the reality.

Good thing I have tuned my 13600K so that it uses similar power to the 7700X, and still beats it in multi-thread apps and games :messenger_sun:
I'm sure that Cinebench score really translates to real-life performance... and doubtful on the gaming performance considering 50% more power consumption only translated to a statistical error's worth of difference.

Leonidas

I'm sure that Cinebench score really translates to real-life performance... and doubtful on the gaming performance considering 50% more power consumption only translated to a statistical error's worth of difference.
I had a BIOS update that took the power levels from launch day of +50% 7700X down to similar power to the 7700X with PBO.

Then I undervolted and got it lower than 7700X PBO power and even improved performance a bit further by RAM and E-Core overclock :messenger_sun:

All the while having more performance at much lower power than launch reviews you're looking at, and much better multi-thread at lower than 7700X PBO power.

Last edited:
I had a BIOS update that took the power levels from launch day of +50% 7700X down to similar power to the 7700X with PBO.

Then I undervolted and got it lower than 7700X PBO power and even improved performance a bit further by RAM and E-Core overclock :messenger_sun:

All the while having more performance than launch reviews you're looking at, and much better multi-thread at lower than 7700X PBO power.
Ah yes, the good ol' trust me bro™ story that is all too familiar.

lachesis

I just built 7800x3d + 4080 Super. Workstation a few months ago. Will probably move 7800x3d to living room PC, for gaming purposes only - and get 9950x for my main rig - as it could be better in terms of non-gaming performance.

Leonidas

Poll closed: AMD released data which could skew poll choices. If you voted after the slides were revealed, I know who you are!!!

AMD compared against 14900K.

ikzIqIA.png

13% over 14900K according to AMD's 6 game average, likely cherry picked. Last time AMDs benchmark average had 7950X 9% faster than 12900K when in reality they were about the same, so these numbers don't really mean much.

AMD also hid the following in their end notes (which could lower Intel perf.)

Intel Default power cap
DDR5 6000
7900XTX
Smart Access Memory enabled (which can sometimes reduce performance on Intel)

Still can't really say where it will fall, probably gonna be close to 7800X3D.

If 7800X3D was also graphed in these 6 titles, I'm not sure 9950X wins.

Last edited:

RubberedDucky

Neo Member
For people who know this stuff better than me: what will be a better chip for 1440p (via DLSS) or 4K (native) gaming: 9600X or 7800X3D? I suspect they will be a similar price in a month or so. I'm building a new PC from scratch this summer.

Zathalus

For people who know this stuff better than me: what will be a better chip for 1440p (via DLSS) or 4K (native) gaming: 9600X or 7800X3D? I suspect they will be a similar price in a month or so. I'm building a new PC from scratch this summer.
7800X3D for sure, it has the advantage of two extra cores.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
its going to be the same with next gen video games.Devs will always prioritize tech gimmicks.

Xyphie

Really depends on what prices they come in at. If they come in at the same prices that 7600X currently sells at (~$199) or slightly more I'd go with the 9600X for sure, if it's closer to the 7600X launch price ($299) the 7800X3D at $339 might be more attractive. Like with Zen 4, the best move is probably going to be to wait for the second batch of processors (9600, 9700, 9800X3D) either later this year when Intel launches or in January at CES.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Not too exciting, but wasn't expected to be. Most people are waiting for the X3D chips I'd assume. I'm more interested in seeing the full features and prices of the 800 series motherboards. Especially since the B850's are supposed to have mandated Gen5 PCIe support.

And I'm also HIGHKEY excited to see the goofy fanboys from AMD and Intel circle jerking these billion dollar corporations as they release Zen5 and Arrow Lake. So far, I haven't been disappointed.

Let the games continue!

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
No point in buying regular Zen 5 CPUs for gaming, best to wait for X3D and Arrow Lake and compare those two.

i'm still running 5800X3D on AM4. Seeing these new CPU's for AM4 makes me excited to stay for at least another year on AM4. I want to see the benchmarks between the 5800X3D and 5900XT with 73MB cache.

Xyphie

i'm still running 5800X3D on AM4. Seeing these new CPU's for AM4 makes me excited to stay for at least another year on AM4. I want to see the benchmarks between the 5800X3D and 5900XT with 73MB cache.

5900XT will be a downgrade from a 5800X3D for games. You can just look at 5950X because it's just a slightly lower clocked 16-core Zen 3 part.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Called it.
Beating the X3D would be a massive massive architetural gain.....something I dont exect from AMD.

Now to wait for ArrowLake.

I really wonder what AMD will do if ArrowLake is tied with 9000X3D and their GPUs arent worth the sand.......focus on mobile??

evg6hg5.png

Celcius

°Temp. member

"AMD Says That Ryzen 9000 "Zen 5" CPUs Will Be Close But Not Faster Than Ryzen 7000X3D "Zen 4" Chips"

This combined with the fact that the x870e boards aren't even coming next month makes the initial Zen 5 launch feel like a nothingburger to me.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I'm lovin' it. Lol at ppl. like winjer winjer continually over-estimating AMD gaming performance.

I love how they say "its faster than the competition in our tests" Yes, AMD marketer, your test that artificially limits Intel performance.

Can't wait till the reviews come out and it either barely beats the ~2-year old 13900K, or loses to it :messenger_sun:

Last edited:

Leonidas

Ah I see you got the new narrative directions already. We were all wondering why you were so silent in the thread about the silicon degradation issues here
Must have missed it, I turned my notifications off long ago.

What narrative? And why did you ignore the fact that AMD had a similar issue last year? At least I don't go around making shit up to make companies look bad. In this thread the only bad thing about AMD I have said is that they most likley lied on their marketing with Zen5... AMD has lied a lot on marketting recently, and they are misleading a lot of people who don't know better... they can't fool me though.

peish

Gold Member
Zen5 may have a tab bigger IPC gains than zen4 but tmsc N4 is much smaller gains, and amd reuses the 6nm IOD and no longer enjoys the jump from DDR4 to DDR5, any noob can see why zen5 normie is lousy for gaming

7600X actually matched, win in some, loses in some, compared to 5800x3d

9600X will find it harder to achieve the same against 7800x3d

Going to call out this amd guy for lying in our faces when he said it will be closer than ever

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These chips will marginly beat 14th gen corresponding chips in gaming.

Then intel will neat them with arrow lake.

Then AMD sill take the crown with the X3D variants.

Leonidas

Its sad that Zen5 is only barely (if at all) better than 13th Gen in gaming, whose cores were an update to the ~3 year old Golden Cove.

I won't be surrpised if Arrow Lake beats Zen5 3D.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

14th gens are effectively 13th gens.
Especially the K chips cuz that clock advantage is moot.

So catching up to the 13th gen isnt exactly something to be showing off.
They will obviously pick titles that heavily favor AMD *stares at Forza Horizon.....so itll look better.
But realistically unless they are priced much much much lower than 7000X3D chips, this is a dud launch.

I wouldnt be so sure about 9000X3D taking the crown from ArrowLake in gaming.
Im sure their 285K will be binned to the max and might actually hold out in alot (read as most) games.

winjer

Gold Member
I'm lovin' it. Lol at ppl. like winjer winjer continually over-estimating AMD gaming performance.

I love how they say "its faster than the competition in our tests" Yes, AMD marketer, your test that artificially limits Intel performance.

Can't wait till the reviews come out and it either barely beats the ~2-year old 13900K, or loses to it :messenger_sun:

Let's start with the obvious. There is only one person that has been claiming that one side will have the better performance.
That's you. At a moment when all we have is the performance data from Intel and AMD, everyone in this thread is saying we need to see independent benchmarks.
You are the only one saying that Intel has already won. And you have spent this entire thread making up excuses that AMD is lying.
At the same time, you pretend that Intel never lied and that all their data is truthful.

You even go so far as to claim the IPC gains for Intel are bigger. Despite the fact that Intel has not shown any gaming performance. In fact, they have not shown performance in real world programs.
Let's just remember that the 14% IPC performance gain that Intel claims for Lion Core, is based on SpecInt, a benchmark made by Intel. Cinebench R23 and R24, Geekbench and 2 browser benchmarks, WbXPRT and Speedometer.

clb8E5i.jpeg

smbu2000

"AMD Says That Ryzen 9000 "Zen 5" CPUs Will Be Close But Not Faster Than Ryzen 7000X3D "Zen 4" Chips"

This combined with the fact that the x870e boards aren't even coming next month makes the initial Zen 5 launch feel like a nothingburger to me.
X870e/X870 isn’t that much different from X670e/X670, besides things like mandatory pcie5 slot (X670 had pcie4 gpu slots) and as well as the mandatory usb4 ports. (Optional on x670 and x670e)

Both of my X670e motherboards already have usb4. I don’t really think X870e will add much compared to the current X670e which is probably why AMD is launching 9000 series with X670e still the current top.(until X870e releases)
X870e will have 9000 support natively while previous boards will need to update their BIOS.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Let's start with the obvious. There is only one person that has been claiming that one side will have the better performance.
That's you. At a moment when all we have is the performance data from Intel and AMD, everyone in this thread is saying we need to see independent benchmarks.
You are the only one saying that Intel has already won. And you have spent this entire thread making up excuses that AMD is lying.
At the same time, you pretend that Intel never lied and that all their data is truthful.

You even go so far as to claim the IPC gains for Intel are bigger. Despite the fact that Intel has not shown any gaming performance. In fact, they have not shown performance in real world programs.
Let's just remember that the 14% IPC performance gain that Intel claims for Lion Core, is based on SpecInt, a benchmark made by Intel. Cinebench R23 and R24, Geekbench and 2 browser benchmarks, WbXPRT and Speedometer.

clb8E5i.jpeg
Perf at power (+/- 10% margin of error) lmao :pie_roffles:

per amd, not faster than current x3d in gaming.

9000x3d and arrowlake will be interesting.
intel's still washing the sheets after shitting the bed for years, but seems like they're starting to try a bit again.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Arrow Lake probably will win. AMD alrady claimed Zen5 lost to Zen4 3D in gaming. Raptor Lake Refresh was only ~2% away. I never said Arrow Lake won against Zen5, only that its very likely, since I can't imagine Intel losing performance vs. an ancient 3 year old architecture with updates...

AMD conceding defeat for Zen5 makes it even more likely that Arrow Lake is faster in gaming.
I do say we need to wait for benchmarks, because AMDs provided numbers are bullshit. Zen5 can't be 13% faster than 14900K, if it is slower than Zen4 3D (which is barely faster than 14900K to begin with)

winjer

Gold Member
Arrow Lake probably will win. AMD alrady claimed Zen5 lost to Zen4 3D in gaming. Raptor Lake Refresh was only ~2% away. I never said Arrow Lake won against Zen5, only that its very likely, since I can't imagine Intel losing performance vs. an ancient 3 year old architecture with updates...

AMD conceding defeat for Zen5 makes it even more likely that Arrow Lake is faster in gaming.

AMD conceded a defeat to itself. To the 7800X3D. Not to Intel. You are just making stuff up.
Both Lion Core and Zen5 have extensive modifications to their pipelines.
Just because Intel is changing it's marketing terms, and AMD is still using the moniker Zen, means nothing for performance.

I do say we need to wait for benchmarks, because AMDs provided numbers are bullshit. Zen5 can't be 13% faster than 14900K, if it is slower than Zen4 3D (which is barely faster than 14900K to begin with)

You only say that AMD benchmarks are bullshit. While saying that Intel benchmarks are the truth.
Meanwhile, everyone else here is saying to wait for independent benchmarks.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Need to see what process node they are using for the 3d v-cache, will they go down from 7nm? Me thinking Zen 6 will be more interesting as should see the IO use a smaller process node.

Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD conceded a defeat to itself. To the 7800X3D. Not to Intel. You are just making stuff up.
Yes, Zen5 loses to Zen4 3D, why do you go on to make stuff up about me.

I never said Zen5 loses to 14900K, I said it could, since Zen4 3D is barely faster than 14900K.

You only say that AMD benchmarks are bullshit. While saying that Intel benchmarks are the truth.
AMDs numbers are bullshit because I saw what they did.

Intel is still months away from launch, Computex wasn't the reveal of desktop Arrow Lake. There will be new benchmarks from Intel closer to launch, months from now.

This isn't like AMD where they actually know (yeah its slower than Zen4 3D) but then go on to make it look like a beast (we're this much faster than 14900K!!! ...in cherry picked scenarios...

Meanwhile, everyone else here is saying to wait for independent benchmarks.
The benchmarks will be great so we can see how far off AMD was when they were less than 2 months from launch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom