• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD dodges question on anti-consumer behavior regarding their bundled games. (Update: article is selective)

Leonidas

You are diving into that FUD territory again. Knock it off and use better source material.
Update:

Perhaps people should look at the list and take their own conclusions.

Here's the list of games that wccftech used, over which I point out the games with no upscaling from either company (meaning it's technical/engine limitation or uses proprietary tech) and added a number of Nvidia-sponsored games that wccftech somehow for some obscure reason failed to include:

Release Date​
Title​
Bundle/Cross Promo Partner​
FSR 1/2 Release​
DLSS Release​
06/15/2023​
Rainbow Six: Extraction (WCCFTech failed to include in list)
NVIDIA​
None​
06/15/2023​
5/30/2023​
Vampire the Masquerade: Swansong (WCCFTech failed to include in list)
NVIDIA​
None​
5/30/2023​
5/2/2023​
Redfall
NVIDIA​
5/2/2023​
5/2/2023​
4/28/2023​
STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor
AMD​
4/28/2023​
None​
4/21/2023​
Dead Island 2
AMD​
4/21/2023​
None​
3/28/2023​
Last of Us Part 1
AMD​
3/28/2023​
3/28/2023​
3/23/2023​
Resident Evil 4 Remake
AMD​
3/23/2023​
None​
1/24/2023​
Forspoken
AMD​
1/24/2023​
1/24/2023​
12/2/2022​
Callisto Protocol
AMD​
12/2/2022​
None​
12/1/2022​
Marvel's Midnight Suns (DLSS2 + FSR1 only)
NVIDIA​
12/1/2022​
12/1/2022​
11/30/2022​
Warhammer 40K Darktide
NVIDIA​
11/30/2022​
11/30/2022​
10/27/2022​
Sackboy: A Big Adventure (WCCFTech failed to include in list)
None​
10/27/2022​
10/19/2022​
Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection
AMD​
10/19/2022​
10/19/2022​
10/17/2022​
A Plague Tale: Requiem (WCCFTech failed to include in list)
NVIDIA​
None​
10/17/2022​
10/04/2022​
Dakar Desert Rally(WCCFTech failed to include in list)
None​
10/04/2022​
8/23/2022​
Saints Row
AMD​
11/29/2022​
None​
8/12/2022​
Marvel's Spiderman Remastered
NVIDIA​
8/12/2022​
8/12/2022​
5/25/2022​
Sniper Elite 5
AMD​
5/25/2022​
None​
3/30/2022​
Death Stranding Directors Cut
NVIDIA​
9/28/2022​
3/30/2022​
3/24/2022​
Ghostwire Tokyo
NVIDIA​
3/24/2022​
3/24/2022​
11/15/2021
Halo Infinite (uses proprietary upscaling)
AMD​
None​
None​
11/11/2021​
GTA Trilogy: The Definitive Edition (WCCFTech failed to include in list)
None​
11/11/2021​
10/26/2021​
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
NVIDIA​
2/11/2022​
10/26/2021​
10/7/2021​
Far Cry 6
AMD​
10/7/2021​
None​
10/6/2021​
Battlefield 2042
NVIDIA​
None​
10/6/2021​
5/7/2021​
Resident Evil Village
AMD​
7/19/2021​
None​
11/23/2020
World of Warcraft Shadowlands (no temporal upscaling supported by aging engine)
AMD​
11/13/2021 (FSR1)​
None​

Just a quick summary:

Number of AMD cross-promoted games with exclusive FSR2 support: 8
Number of NVidia cross-promoted games with exclusive DLSS2 support: 8
Number of AMD cross-promoted games with both techs: 3
Number of NVidia cross-promoted games with both techs: 7
Number of games without cross-promotion and exclusive DLSS2 support (after FSR2 was available): at least 15 (though probably a lot more)

There's also a bunch of games with DLSS2 and no FSR2 that weren't part of any cross promotion contract, like Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Diablo II: Resurrected, Crysis 2 and 3 Remastered, Sifu, plus many others.
After FSR2's source code came out with super easy implementation for games with DLSS2, we still kept seeing more games with DLSS2 than FSR2.
Why isn't WCCFTech asking Nvidia about this?

There are even games with very odd choices. For example Kena uses the Unreal Engine's proprietary temporal reconstruction in the PS4 and PS5. But on PC the developers disabled it and the only official way to get temporal reconstruction is with DLSS2 on a Nvidia GPU. Why isn't WCCFTech asking Nvidia about this?

Lastly, why does it seem like WCCFTech only failed to include games that are DLSS2-exclusive? Isn't that a bit odd?

When I first saw this drama on the internet, I knew exactly who was going to post it here.

I've long suspected this was the case since many AMD bundled games simply do not offer DLSS, because of this I will not play the majority of AMD sponsored titles. Good to see some people finally talking about this.

This type of anti-gamer foolishness which holds back PC gaming needs to stop :lollipop_angry_face:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shubh_C63

I've long suspected this was the case since many AMD bundled games simply do not offer DLSS, because of this I will not play the majority of AMD sponsored titles. Good to see some people finally talking about this.
I am not saying it is justified or I am an expert. But somebody please mention all the shit nVidia is doing also. They are the kings

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Exclusivity bullshit is all the way down to upscaling tech now?

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

they aren't blocking developers from adding support for other vendors, so no matter what you're insinuating, Nvidia isn't doing this weird locking out of options for games they work with
Genuinely correct me If I'm wrong, not an expert. Didn't nvidia pushed Tesselation to the extreme extreme in Crysis 2 with Crytek once they learned their cards were good at it and others weren't. Like unnecessary tessellations that mostly did tanked everyones performance in all the cards, including nvidia.

Bojji

Genuinely correct me If I'm wrong, not an expert. Didn't nvidia pushed Tesselation to the extreme extreme in Crysis 2 with Crytek once they learned their cards were good at it and others weren't. Like unnecessary tessellations that mostly did tanked everyones performance in all the cards, including nvidia.

They did but what was 12 years ago.

Right now AMD is ruining many PC ports and taking away ability for players to have decent image quality.

Shubh_C63

They did but what was 12 years ago.

Right now AMD is ruining many PC ports and taking away ability for players to have decent image quality.
How about Gameworks and Hairworks. they were fairly recent around Witcher 3 I think, and it again tanked everyones fps without much incentive so that others might suffer more.

Bojji

How about Gameworks and Hairworks. they were fairly recent around Witcher 3 I think, and it again tanked everyones fps without much incentive so that others might suffer more.

No one stopped AMD from increasing their tesselation performance, and they did after years.

Same thing is happening with RT.

Banned

you could turn those off... and even me as an Nvidia user turned that shit off in every game I played back when it was new.

Shubh_C63

No one stopped AMD from increasing their tesselation performance, and they did after years.

Same thing is happening with RT.
Yes but we are not talking about not being good at their jobs. We are talking about bad market practices.

If AMD had the money they want and say they were *really* good at Dx12/Vulkan or async (or some buzz word shit), you bet moneyhatting developers to use their methods as much as possible so that other partners get tanked (including their own performance but lesser) would be categorized as bad market practice.

Its shameful if AMD is doing that but on some level you guys gotta agree that is because of years and years of bad practices from nvidia that made them stoop down to their level. Equal blame to both I say.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Yeah, I figured as much. The Calisto Protocol was an AMD banner title, and it has some of the most advanced rendering on the market - especially its encompassing use of ray tracing. And yet, it shipped without DLSS - the top dog image reconstruction technique - for seemingly no reason? I figured AMD had paid them not to implement it at launch so that people would "love" FSR. Instead, I thought FSR looked like interlaced horse shit, so I just let me RTX3090 brute force playable frame rates instead. Not a fan of FSR in its current form at all.

Bojji

Yes but we are not talking about not being good at their jobs. We are talking about bad market practices.

If AMD had the money they want and say they were *really* good at Dx12/Vulkan or async (or some buzz word shit), you bet moneyhatting developers to use their methods as much as possible so that other partners get tanked (including their own performance but lesser) would be categorized as bad market practice.

Its shameful if AMD is doing that but on some level you guys gotta agree that is because of years and years of bad practices from nvidia that made them stoop down to their level. Equal blame to both I say.

Many AMD sponsored games run like shit in general and maybe less shit on AMD hardware.

In general AMD is not bringing any new tech to the table (like Nvidia did with GW, physx etc.) but they are taking away players choice with upscalers. That's fucked up.

For game developers implementing FSR2 and dlss is almost the same amount of work, that's why there are mods to replace fsr with dlss and vice versa (simple dll files).

IFireflyl

Gold Member
It is crazy that anyone could be surprised by this. Corporations suck. It doesn't matter who they are. They will do whatever they have to do in order to gain money. Corporations are not your friends. Corporations don't care about you. Whenever this type of news arises, nobody should be shocked.

Shubh_C63

Many AMD sponsored games run like shit in general and maybe less shit on AMD hardware.

In general AMD is not bringing any new tech to the table (like Nvidia did with GW, physx etc.) but they are taking away players choice with upscalers. That's fucked up.

For game developers implementing FSR2 and dlss is almost the same amount of work, that's why there are mods to replace fsr with dlss and vice versa (simple dll files).
I know you're right. RT even though ahead of its time for the price it asks is the future and AMD is not bringing anything new.

All I'm saying is this Anti consumer thing didn't pop out of nowhere. It exists alongwith whatever nvidia can and does as anti consumer so needs to be mentioned also.

nkarafo

Imagine your competitor releasing their worst products in their history and being hated by most, but you are so anti-consumer that instead of taking advantage of it to easily save the day and be loved by most, you just prefer to be a tiny bit less shitty than them but still shitty enough.

damidu

makes sense
nvidia runs so many circles around these fools tech wise.
this is probably only way for them to be competitive, thats if you consider %10 market share competitive

Soltype

There's a complete difference between playing to your strengths and stopping other people from competing. Nvidia cards were better at tessellation so they put a bunch of tessellation in the games, Nvidia didn't stop AMD from having cards with good tessellation performance. AMD is actively stopping developers from using available technologies. An apples to apples scenario would be AMD pushing higher vram requirements in games since their cards tend to have more than nvidia's.

StereoVsn

They are partnering with the developers for the games release, why the F would they want Nvidia exclusive features in it? blame nvidia for not making DLSS open source.
They are paying devs not to implement DLSS. Nvidia partner titles don't do that.

Nvidia is full of shit for many things, but this is a terrible approach from AMD. It's complete BS and a lot of these AMD sponsored titles run like shit too.

supernova8

Banned
I kinda wonder why AMD even bothered to make FSR open to all GPUs in the first place. Not sure if they really won any goodwill for it. It just gives people more of a reason to buy Nvidia.

On a related note - is it worse that (1) AMD is blocking partnered games from having DLSS or (B) worse that Nvidia is (and has been from the very start) blocking consumers from using DLSS unless they have a supported Nvidia GPU (not even all GPUs)?

I mean......... at least you can still use FSR on Nvidia GPUs, right?

(of course AMD are still shitheads for blocking DLSS support, just making clear that Nvidia are dickheads in a different way)

Last edited:

Braag

My experience with AMD sponsored games are Callisto Protocol and Jedi Survivor. Both only have only FSR and both run like crap.

SeraphJan

I kinda wonder why AMD even bothered to make FSR open to all GPUs in the first place. Not sure if they really won any goodwill for it. It just gives people more of a reason to buy Nvidia.
When a tech company focus on PR instead of tech itself

Last edited:

This type of anti-gamer foolishness which holds back PC gaming needs to stop :lollipop_angry_face:

It's a double edged sword this one, AMD are trying to claw back market share which is great but they are also shafting Nvidia owning PC gamers by not having a highly desirable feature available to them.

buenoblue

This does suck but no one is forcing these devs to take AMD sponsorship. They would rather piss off the players for that Cash so the Devs are just as much to blame.

It's a double edged sword this one, AMD are trying to claw back market share which is great but they are also shafting Nvidia owning PC gamers by not having a highly desirable feature available to them.
It's a huge mistake to do this when they try to constantly portray themselves as the underdog.

But realistically no one cares about AMD GPU's anymore, Nvidia's market share is north of 85-90% these days. All AMD has left are the most diehard fanboys, everyone else gave up and bought Nvidia long ago.

GHG

Exclusivity bullshit is all the way down to upscaling tech now?

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

It's always been this way.

This is what companies do, they will try every little tactic they can to seem like a more attractive proposition and we get caught in the crossfire.

Ask yourself why you can't get Pepsi products at McDonald's.

The best way for them to claw back market share is to simply have better GPU products. That's how they improved their market share in the CPU space.

winjer

Gold Member
The diference in this matter is that NVidia lied outright about interfering with tech from other companies.
Nvidia has a very long history of screwing up the competition.
many recent games have been released recently with only DLSS and no support for FSR2 or XeSS.
Worse than that, all of a sudden the FSr2.1 mod stopped working in a lot of games.
Just recently, I had experience with two games that worked very well with the FSR2.1 mod, that suddenly got a patch to block it. Because that would mean the amount of games with FSr2 would increase drastically.
One was Kena, a game that where the FSR2 mod worked for a long time, but the last patch made sure to block it. So now there is only DLSS support.
Another was Dying Light 2. But in this case, the FSR2.1 mod was blocked and they implemented FSR2.0. And it looks much worse than the 2.1 mod. Meanwhile, the game already got more patches to ad DLSS3, but it is still using FSR 2.0

The reality is that both companies are interfering with each other tech. But for some people, it's only bad when AMD does it.

Skifi28

Muh DLSS!!!111

I can live just fine with FSR2, in many games I can't even tell the difference unless DF tells me which is better. I've also played a few games where DLSS notably degraded the image like Witcher 3 or RDR2, so I don't really care about having an option just for the sake of it being there.

It's always been this way.

This is what companies do, they will try every little tactic they can to seem like a more attractive proposition and we get caught in the crossfire.

Ask yourself why you can't get Pepsi products at McDonald's.

The best way for them to claw back market share is to simply have better GPU products. That's how they improved their market share in the CPU space.
Yeah, tuff ask to catch up though.
The diference in this matter is that NVidia lied outright about interfering with tech from other companies.
Nvidia has a very long history of screwing up the competition.
many recent games have been released recently with only DLSS and no support for FSR2 or XeSS.
Worse than that, all of a sudden the FSr2.1 mod stopped working in a lot of games.
Just recently, I had experience with two games that worked very well with the FSR2.1 mod, that suddenly got a patch to block it. Because that would mean the amount of games with FSr2 would increase drastically.
One was Kena, a game that where the FSR2 mod worked for a long time, but the last patch made sure to block it. So now there is only DLSS support.
Another was Dying Light 2. But in this case, the FSR2.1 mod was blocked and they implemented FSR2.0. And it looks much worse than the 2.1 mod. Meanwhile, the game already got more patches to ad DLSS3, but it is still using FSR 2.0

The reality is that both companies are interfering with each other tech. But for some people, it's only bad when AMD does it.
Did not know this, shady shit going on at both sides then.

Hot5pur

This is a nasty practice indeed and they should focus more on improving their tech and being more competitive.
Problem is Nvidia will have more resources and can hire the best engineers, especially with the AI boom. I wonder how AMD feels about their GPUs doing chiplets, did it pan out? Perhaps it gave them better margins.

GreatnessRD

These comments are funny. With that said, if this is true, AMD is lame for that. But between AMD, Intel and Nvidia, all of them did some bullshit. All of them have shown the consumers they aren't your friends, so picking out just one of them is fucking stupid.

Stay safe outchea, folks.

AMD likes to pretend they are the plucky underdog, if the reality is that they are just like Nvidia except with shittier technology and a tiny market share, why the fuck would anyone bother with AMD going forward?

Kenpachii

There's a complete difference between playing to your strengths and stopping other people from competing. Nvidia cards were better at tessellation so they put a bunch of tessellation in the games, Nvidia didn't stop AMD from having cards with good tessellation performance. AMD is actively stopping developers from using available technologies. An apples to apples scenario would be AMD pushing higher vram requirements in games since their cards tend to have more than nvidia's.

They also do that bullshit, amd required more v-ram, nuked RT in far cry 6 for this reason.

I already knew AMD did this bullshit with riftbreaker, slam in FSR in a RT title, but no DLSS was just propper bullshit and many AMD sponsored titles lack DLSS. Honestly if a game is visually demanding and doesn't have DLSS i have zero interest to play it on my main rig.

winjer

Gold Member
They also do that bullshit, amd required more v-ram, nuked RT in far cry 6 for this reason.

I already knew AMD did this bullshit with riftbreaker, slam in FSR in a RT title, but no DLSS was just propper bullshit and many AMD sponsored titles lack DLSS. Honestly if a game is visually demanding and doesn't have DLSS i have zero interest to play it on my main rig.

The Riftbreaker is an Intel sponsored title. It was a show case for XeSS and Intel's RT. And also for Intel CPU's, as this games runs amazingly well on Intel 12th and 13th gen.
And they only added FSR1 to pretend they weren't doing the same shenanigans as AMD and NVidia.
Only recently, did they add FSR2 to the game.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Perhaps people should look at the list and take their own conclusions.

Here's the list of games that wccftech used, over which I point out the games with no upscaling from either company (meaning it's technical/engine limitation or uses proprietary tech) and added a number of Nvidia-sponsored games that wccftech somehow for some obscure reason failed to include:

Release Date​
Title​
Bundle/Cross Promo Partner​
FSR 1/2 Release​
DLSS Release​
06/15/2023​
Rainbow Six: Extraction (WCCFTech failed to include in list)
NVIDIA​
None​
06/15/2023​
5/30/2023​
Vampire the Masquerade: Swansong (WCCFTech failed to include in list)
NVIDIA​
None​
5/30/2023​
5/2/2023​
Redfall
NVIDIA​
5/2/2023​
5/2/2023​
4/28/2023​
STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor
AMD​
4/28/2023​
None​
4/21/2023​
Dead Island 2
AMD​
4/21/2023​
None​
3/28/2023​
Last of Us Part 1
AMD​
3/28/2023​
3/28/2023​
3/23/2023​
Resident Evil 4 Remake
AMD​
3/23/2023​
None​
1/24/2023​
Forspoken
AMD​
1/24/2023​
1/24/2023​
12/2/2022​
Callisto Protocol
AMD​
12/2/2022​
None​
12/1/2022​
Marvel's Midnight Suns (DLSS2 + FSR1 only)
NVIDIA​
12/1/2022​
12/1/2022​
11/30/2022​
Warhammer 40K Darktide
NVIDIA​
11/30/2022​
11/30/2022​
10/27/2022​
Sackboy: A Big Adventure (WCCFTech failed to include in list)
None​
10/27/2022​
10/19/2022​
Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection
AMD​
10/19/2022​
10/19/2022​
10/17/2022​
A Plague Tale: Requiem (WCCFTech failed to include in list)
NVIDIA​
None​
10/17/2022​
10/04/2022​
Dakar Desert Rally(WCCFTech failed to include in list)
None​
10/04/2022​
8/23/2022​
Saints Row
AMD​
11/29/2022​
None​
8/12/2022​
Marvel's Spiderman Remastered
NVIDIA​
8/12/2022​
8/12/2022​
5/25/2022​
Sniper Elite 5
AMD​
5/25/2022​
None​
3/30/2022​
Death Stranding Directors Cut
NVIDIA​
9/28/2022​
3/30/2022​
3/24/2022​
Ghostwire Tokyo
NVIDIA​
3/24/2022​
3/24/2022​
11/15/2021
Halo Infinite (uses proprietary upscaling)
AMD​
None​
None​
11/11/2021​
GTA Trilogy: The Definitive Edition (WCCFTech failed to include in list)
None​
11/11/2021​
10/26/2021​
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
NVIDIA​
2/11/2022​
10/26/2021​
10/7/2021​
Far Cry 6
AMD​
10/7/2021​
None​
10/6/2021​
Battlefield 2042
NVIDIA​
None​
10/6/2021​
5/7/2021​
Resident Evil Village
AMD​
7/19/2021​
None​
11/23/2020
World of Warcraft Shadowlands (no temporal upscaling supported by aging engine)
AMD​
11/13/2021 (FSR1)​
None​

Just a quick summary:

Number of AMD cross-promoted games with exclusive FSR2 support: 8
Number of NVidia cross-promoted games with exclusive DLSS2 support: 8
Number of AMD cross-promoted games with both techs: 3
Number of NVidia cross-promoted games with both techs: 7
Number of games without cross-promotion and exclusive DLSS2 support (after FSR2 was available): at least 15 (though probably a lot more)

There's also a bunch of games with DLSS2 and no FSR2 that weren't part of any cross promotion contract, like Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Diablo II: Resurrected, Crysis 2 and 3 Remastered, Sifu, plus many others.
After FSR2's source code came out with super easy implementation for games with DLSS2, we still kept seeing more games with DLSS2 than FSR2.
Why isn't WCCFTech asking Nvidia about this?

There are even games with very odd choices. For example Kena uses the Unreal Engine's proprietary temporal reconstruction in the PS4 and PS5. But on PC the developers disabled it and the only official way to get temporal reconstruction is with DLSS2 on a Nvidia GPU. Why isn't WCCFTech asking Nvidia about this?

Lastly, why does it seem like WCCFTech only failed to include games that are DLSS2-exclusive? Isn't that a bit odd?

Just genuinely wondering if topicstarter has stocks in Intel and/or Nvidia. His hate for their competitors seems to run way deeper than just the average fanboy behaviour.
When I first saw this drama on the internet, I knew exactly who was going to post it here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom