• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets track the budget of big games and development times

cormack12

Gold Member
Thought it would be interesting to start tracking game costs and development time as the industry caves in to identify trends. So let's start, please contribute in thread with a source, more hands make light work :) I'll keep adding what I find today, and find better sources over time, or update with more reliable ones in thread

Spider-Man 2 | $300 million | 5 years (need source) | 2023
Starfield | $300-$400 million | 8 years | 2023
Halo: Infinite |
Alan Wake 2 | $75 million | 4 years | 2023
Hogwarts Legacy | $150 million | 5 years | 2023
Horizon: Forbidden West | $212 million | 5 years | 2022
The Last of Us 2 | $220 million | 6 years | 2020
Immortals of Aveum | $125 million | 5 years | 2023
Cyberpunk 2077 | $316 million | 4 years | 2020
Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 Phantom Liberty | $125.9 million | 3 years | 2023
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart | $81 million | 3 years | 2021
Red Dead Redemption 2 | $540 million ($300 million marketing) | 6 years | 2018
Zelda: Breath of the wild | $120 million | 5 years | 2017
Witcher 3 | $81 million | 3 and a half years | 2015
Callisto Protocol | $161.5million | 3 years | 2022
Lords of the Fallen | $67.7 million | 3-5 years | 2023
FFVII: Remake | $140 - $144 million | 4 years | 2023
Death Stranding | $210 million | 2 years | 2019 | See here for logic
God of War: Ragnarok | $200 million | 4 years | 2022
Baldur's Gate 3 | $100 million | 6 years | 2023

Last edited:

Rosoboy19

Neo Member
I mean yall want your graphics yall want your Details and Framerates,
What do yall expect ? These journalists will bomb your game if it’s half baked so yeah they gonna take their time .
Seems to me the huge budgets are more of an issue than the development time. Nintendo spends years working on games but they use that time to perfect and polish, not as a money sink for ginormous graphics leap and marketing

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Baller Success GIF

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Final Fantasy VII PSX - $45 million
Final Fantasy VII Remake - $140 million

Can't find numbers for Rebirth yet.

GHG

cormack12 cormack12 in the article you linked for Starfield it says the following:

It’s unclear as of yet how much Starfield will cost in total with all other parameters combined, but speculation says that the final figure should be somewhere around $300-400 million, considering the stature of the title at hand and the amount of time it’s been under development. Moreover, if the 500-member development team part is correct, costs are certain to be quite higher than $200 million.

Seems to me the huge budgets are more of an issue than the development time. Nintendo spends years working on games but they use that time to perfect and polish, not as a money sink for ginormous graphics leap and marketing
Can you share the Nintendo budget numbers? I'd like to compare it to the OP.

Robb

Gold Member
Zelda BotW:
Nintendo needs to shift 2m copies of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to recoup the game's huge development costs.
The upcoming Zelda has been in development for more than five years, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto explained during a recent investor Q&A

So 5 years and roughly $120M(?).

Flabagast

Very good thread idea.

The budget for CP77 was truly insane, if you add the budget of Phantom Liberty it's in the same ballpark as RDR2 (with no other game close to $500M if I am not mistaken ?) and you have to remember devs in Poland are way less paid that those of Rockstar.

But it shows imho, CP77 must be the biggest game to come out since RDR2 and it does things no other game do (notably in dialogue animations and staging)

Rosoboy19

Neo Member
Can you share the Nintendo budget numbers? I'd like to compare it to the OP.
Nintendo doesn’t really share that info, unfortunately. The last two Zelda games surely had big development costs, possibly over 100 million each. It just seems that if Nintendo spends that big on a game, they usually have the polish and gameplay to back it up and the sales take care of themselves.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Spider-Man 2 | $300 million | 5 years (need source) Made money
Starfield | $200 million | 8 years Made money (maybe)

Alan Wake 2 | $75 million | 4 years
Hogwarts Legacy | $150 million | 5 years Made money

Horizon: Forbidden West | $212 million | 5 years Made money

The Last of Us 2 | $220 million | 6 years Made money

Immortals of Aveum | $125 million | 5 years
Cyberpunk 2077 | $316 million | 4 years Made money

Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 Phantom Liberty | $125.9 million | 3 years Made money

I think the games I marked made money more than they budget.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Spider-Man 2 | $300 million | 5 years (need source) Made money
Starfield | $200 million | 8 years Made money

Alan Wake 2 | $75 million | 4 years
Hogwarts Legacy | $150 million | 5 years Made money

Horizon: Forbidden West | $212 million | 5 years Made money

The Last of Us 2 | $220 million | 6 years Made money

Immortals of Aveum | $125 million | 5 years
Cyberpunk 2077 | $316 million | 4 years Made money

Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 Phantom Liberty | $125.9 million | 3 years Made money

I think the games I marked made money more than they budget.
Not sure about Starfield

Zannegan

I mean yall want your graphics yall want your Details and Framerates,
What do yall expect ? These journalists will bomb your game if it’s half baked so yeah they gonna take their time .
You're right: something has to give.

Personally, I'd be happy to let the graphical quality of assets linger between the PS3 and PS4 if it meant faster turnaround for projects. Visually sumptuous roller coaster games do nothing for me.

Plus, faster turnaround means lower budgets, and lower budgets mean lower risk. Who knows? We could even see studios take a chance on some original gameplay ideas when every game doesn't have the potential to bankrupt them if it flops. Simpler assets would also make things I DON'T want to compromise on (like framerate) more achievable. I don't even mind the ultra low-poly look if the art style and gameplay justify the sacrifice.

Every game doesn't have to look like Minecraft or Battlebit, but neither does every character have to look like something out of Diablo 4.

Last edited:

Fifth Generation Consoles (Sony PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64)​

1. Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation)
    • Development Time: Approx. 3-4 years (1993-1997)
    • Development Cost: Estimated over $45 million, with marketing costs pushing it over $80 million.
  2. Resident Evil 2 (PlayStation)
    • Development Time: 2-3 years (1994-1998)
    • Development Cost: Estimated around $5 million.

Sixth Generation Consoles (Sony PlayStation 2, Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo GameCube)​

1. Halo 2 (Xbox)
    • Development Time: 3 years (2001-2004)
    • Development Cost: Over $20 million for development, with a massive marketing campaign.
  2. Final Fantasy X (PlayStation 2)
    • Development Time: Approx. 4 years
    • Development Cost: Estimated over $32 million.
  3. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PlayStation 2)
    • Development Time: Approx. 4 years
    • Development Cost: Estimated around $10 million.
  4. Shenmue (Dreamcast)
    • Development Time: Approx. 5 years
    • Development Cost: Estimated to be around $70 million, making it one of the most expensive games of its time.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Remedy achieved a lot in Alan wake 2 for 75 million. Good going.

On the other hand, WTF at Callisto protocol and Spiderman 2!

And LOL at immortals of aveum. Who thought that was a good idea?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
The question that needs to be asked, but noone ever puts forward is how much do AA (not AAA) games cost to make?

Kinda important thing to know if you want to make an argument against the sustainability of AAA.

I think you'd class Rift Apart, ALan Wake 2, Lords of the Fallen and Immortals of Aveum in there so between $60 million to $125 million based on that. Although I'd ssay the problem is apparent in costs when you look at Immortals and Callisto for example.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Cyberpunk 2077 | $316 million | 4 years
Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 Phantom Liberty | $125.9 million | 3 years
Cyberpunk actually had much longer development cycle as the game was originally announced back in 2012. It was always on a backburner as Witcher 3 was CDPR's main project. To my understanding the project was rebooted and refocused in 2016, but I'm fairly certain some of the money they counted here went for initial trailer from 2013 and all of the development made between 2012 and 2016

cormack12

Gold Member
Would be interesting to have the budget of Death Stranding 1 also
Sketchy logic but Kojima said it broke even at the end of April 2020, so I took the rough sales figures/user data and multiplied it by an average retail of $60. I'll update it if I find a better source for sales on PlayStation until May 2020

Top Bottom