• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD FSR 3 FidelityFX Super Resolution Technology Detailed

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No chance. Steam Deck is a RDNA2 part. FSR3 is a RDNA3 feature. The ROG Ally (RDNA3) is probably the best bet for a handheld device (that is currently out) supporting this feature.
Now, because they want to implement FSR 3 on not only the newer RX 7000 series i.e. RDNA3 but also their old RDNA2 and any GPU possible just like it did with FSR 2.0.

hlm666

The rumors say they will present FSR3 and that Starfield will be the first title for the tech.
But as usual, take it with a pinch of salt.
If this is true surely they will use it on the consoles aswell right? I'm assuming it's not locked to rdna3, could be a nice surprise for console players.

FingerBang

It wouldn't be great. The goal of DLSS3 and very likely FSR3 is to boost fps from 60 to over 100. The more under 60 you go the worse the image quality and motion gets. 30->60 would not be great. It could work well for the ROG Ally though due to the 120hz screen.
Yep. Unfortunately, that's the truth. That said, even 40-50 with interpolation would let the device hit "60" on more games. It could work great if implemented well, but I don't trust AMD to succeed at anything at this point.

hinch7

It wouldn't be great. The goal of DLSS3 and very likely FSR3 is to boost fps from 60 to over 100. The more under 60 you go the worse the image quality and motion gets. 30->60 would not be great. It could work well for the ROG Ally though due to the 120hz screen.
This. Since the Steam Deck's display can only handle 60hz you'd have only 30fps really to play with FSR 3 - assuming it works with RDNA 2. And with the added input lag when using frame insertion, it would be horrible to play. Better off limiting fps/hz to 30 or 40 and leave it be.

My personal experience with DLSS 3 and frame gen is that really for a passable experience you'd want at least 40fps (80fps FG) baseline to be the absolute bare minimum (and thats with Nvidia's Reflex) and 60fps+ (120fps FG) to be a good experience. With FSR 3 we have no idea but I'm going to guess its not going to as good as DLSS 3, just yet. We will see soon, hopefully.. if rumors that its coming next month is true.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Doesn't look good for Geforce support.

Sad Adam Ruins GIF by truTV’s Adam Ruins Everything

b0uncyfr0

Its a good start - even though they're very late.

Dev's should start incorporating and design with FSR in mind, not just slap it on and call it a day (like aveuem and forspoken)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Not just improved but frame generation actually performs better than nvidias. It’s actually decreases latency where nvidias adds it.

Last edited:

nikos

Not working well for me in Avatar on a 4090. Constant stutter/judder when panning the camera.

EDIT: It actually seems to be working now but there's a noticeable increase in latency.

Last edited:

hinch7

Not just improved but frame generation actually performs better than nvidias. It’s actually decreases latency where nvidias adds it.
From the sounds of it, it enables anti-lag/+ when using FSR 3+FG. Not that much different from using Reflex with Frame generation.

I'd wait for Hardware Unboxed covering and/or Gamers Nexus's one for a more indepth look.

Last edited:

Bojji

Sounds like it enables anti-lag when using FSR 3+FG. Not that much different from using Reflex with Frame generation. I'd wait for Hardware Unboxed covering and/or Gamers Nexus's one for a more indepth look.

Yep, looks like anti lag (+?) is present with FG on AMD GPUs but it's off without it.

Top Bottom