• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Zen 5 Ryzen 9000 Desktop Gaming Performance Predictions. How fast in gaming do you think it will be?

Predict the gaming performance of the fastest Zen 5 processor at the Zen5 launch this year.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leonidas

AMD Computex keynote is June 3, they'll probably have estimates there so I might close the poll when that happens.

Will Zen5 beat the current gaming champion, Zen4 3D?

When I say raw gaming performance I am talking the average results from multiple reviews, not cherry picked benchmarks.

As an example, when these CPUs launch there will be a chart like the one listed below, that compares results across multiple reviews so we can have a good idea how Zen5 compares to other CPUs in gaming performance (avg. Game Perf. which is bolded towards the bottom of the chart below, shows the avg. in this example from 2022, the year where the 13900K was the fastest gaming CPU)

onPM0wo.png

OverHeat

« generous god »
Where are the 7000 series x3D in your chart? Or the 14000 series

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have a 7800X3D and I doubt there will be a worthwhile upgrade. I won’t go above 8 cores unless there starts to be a benefit in gaming.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I assume the 9700X will be faster than the 7800X3D, otherwise I feel like there was no point in making it.

hinch7

Rumored to be around 20% IPC gain, so thereabouts for gaming, on average.

Last edited:

Leonidas

So you're bitching about AMD cherry-picking results and you do it yourself...
Would you rather I use this latest one instead?

jmz1oia.png

It doesn't change the poll options. And its harder to read, since when they go over 10 CPUs they have to do these weird abreviations other wise the whole thing won't fit the way its formatted...

Why is everything being compared to the 13900k?
The chart is merely an example, from 2022. Would it be better if I include the chart above instead?

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
They will never do it faster than 10%, at most 15%. They want to sell something again in 2 years.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
~10-15% boost in gaming.

7800X3D remains king of the hill.
9700X trades blows with the 13900K.

If AMD have gained more than 15% in gaming gen on gen clock for clock that would be absolutely incredible.
The chips have only gained 100MHz at lower TDP so maybe more overclocking headroom?
Theyve only added 100Mhz to the boost clock.

WyR9nXm.png

Damn. New CPU releases always make me think of upgrading my CPU.......but this damn 12400 is still holding on.
Can Intel announce their shit so people start offloading 13th/14th gen i7s already.

Last edited:

FireFly

They will never do it faster than 10%, at most 15%. They want to sell something again in 2 years.
Zen 4 and Zen 3 both improved gaming performance by around 20% or more. TSMC N4P alone should clock 11% higher than the N5 process used by Zen 4.

Leonidas

Zen 4 and Zen 3 both improved gaming performance by around 20% or more. TSMC N4P alone should clock 11% higher than the N5 process used by Zen 4.
Zen2 wasn't that good in gaming so Zen3 being 20% better wasn't that impressive.
Zen4 being 20% better than Zen3 was good, but Intel was another 10% faster in the same year on an old node.

Zen5 is not going to be clocked 11% higher, the speeds are out there, they are the same boost speeds as Zen4. Best case they might clock slightly higher...

If Zen5 is 20% faster than Zen4 in gaming, I will be surprised.

Last edited:

FireFly

Zen5 is not going to be clocked 11% higher, the speeds are out there, they are the same boost speeds as Zen4. Best case they might clock slightly higher...
As far as I can find, there were no clock speeds listed in the Gigabyte leak. The 5.8 GHz leak was from an engineering sample.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I don't expect much and I'll wait for the X3D variant because it will be cheaper, use less power, and be faster, unless AMD decides to fuck around again.

Celcius

°Temp. member
~10-15% boost in gaming.

7800X3D remains king of the hill.
9700X trades blows with the 13900K.

If AMD have gained more than 15% in gaming gen on gen clock for clock that would be absolutely incredible.
The chips have only gained 100MHz at lower TDP so maybe more overclocking headroom?
Theyve only added 100Mhz to the boost clock.

WyR9nXm.png

Damn. New CPU releases always make me think of upgrading my CPU.......but this damn 12400 is still holding on.
Can Intel announce their shit so people start offloading 13th/14th gen i7s already.
Intel also has presentations planned for computex next week right?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Intel also has presentations planned for computex next week right?

Yup.
The day after AMD too.
But im guessing they wont give us too many figures they will save ArrowLake full reveal for Innovation 2024.

Still it would be interesting if they do give us a bunch of ArrowLake figures so we can start extrapolating Zen5 vs ArrowLake.
Should I sell my current PC and upgrade to ArrowLake this year or skip LGA-1851 entirely......the next few presentations will tell.

StereoVsn

I have a 7800X3D and I doubt there will be a worthwhile upgrade. I won’t go above 8 cores unless there starts to be a benefit in gaming.
Same for gaming purposes. Don’t see a reason to upgrade considering that new GPU will bring a lot more benefits.

That said I am kind of tempted to get something better for productivity side since I started messing around with AI models a while back. However I don’t want to give up 3D cache or pay $600+ for CPU.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Same for gaming purposes. Don’t see a reason to upgrade considering that new GPU will bring a lot more benefits.

That said I am kind of tempted to get something better for productivity side since I started messing around with AI models a while back. However I don’t want to give up 3D cache or pay $600+ for CPU.
At the end of the day we will see. I would consider another CPU if it allows me to get more out of my 4090.

Computex can't get here soon enough!

StereoVsn

At the end of the day we will see. I would consider another CPU if it allows me to get more out of my 4090.

Computex can't get here soon enough!
I only have a 3080Ti so yeah, a 4090 may benefit from an upgrade. If you do AI training/inference that would be even more beneficial most likely.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It kinda feels like a never ending cycle of something new always being around the corner: Zen 5 launch next month -> new Intel platform this fall -> Zen5 X3D early next year -> etc...

For those who do jump on the initial Zen 5 chips I'm sure you'll still have a great experience whether it's gaming or productivity.
Also, the 7800X3D has a 120w TDP... if the 8c/16t 9700X can perform similarly or even better at only 65w then that will be incredible imho. (as someone who uses air cooling)

Last edited:

SantaC

Gold Member
Yeah, there will be an update about Arrow Lake at Computex. Hopefully they show something interesting.

The full reveal is probably in late September at Intel Innovation 2024, though.
intel wont make it in time as Zen 5 launches in july.

Leonidas

intel wont make it in time as Zen 5 launches in july.
Obviously not, just like 2022 when they didn't make the Zen4 launch.

But in 2022 they beat Zen4 in gaming, the same will probably happen this year, which is why I will wait, just like I did in 2022.

FireFly

Obviously not, just like 2022 when they didn't make the Zen4 launch.

But in 2022 they beat Zen4 in gaming, the same will probably happen this year, which is why I will wait, just like I did in 2022.
Of course, the gaming crown only matters between December and April, or whenever the Zen 5 X3D chips launch. The other times of the year are the official "waiting for Intel" periods.

Leonidas

Then the x3D will come out…it’s always going to be a ping pong game.
Not necessarily.

Zen5 3D might lose to Arrow Lake. I don't know if AMD can beat Intel without a huge node advantage.
Of course, the gaming crown only matters between December and April, or whenever the Zen 5 X3D chips launch. The other times of the year are the official "waiting for Intel" periods.
For me it matters when I'm upgrading, which happens to be this Fall, then I probably won't care for another 2-3 years.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I expect them to again dominate Intel with cheaper, faster and less power hungry, less heat generating CPU's. Probably will be the final nail in the coffin for Intel.

MikeM

It kinda feels like a never ending cycle of something new always being around the corner: Zen 5 launch next month -> new Intel platform this fall -> Zen5 X3D early next year -> etc...

For those who do jump on the initial Zen 5 chips I'm sure you'll still have a great experience whether it's gaming or productivity.
Also, the 7800X3D has a 120w TDP... if the 8c/16t 9700X can perform similarly or even better at only 65w then that will be incredible imho. (as someone who uses air cooling)
Resist the fomo. Unless you actually are having a bad time with your CPU, no need to upgrade.

My 7600x has been plenty for my 7900xt. Im only possibly considering the 9800x3d but thats only if games start to really hammer my CPU. So far, only one game has been CPU limited to the point of turning off RT (Spiderman Remastered).

Leonidas

I expect them to again dominate Intel with cheaper, faster and less power hungry, less heat generating CPU's. Probably will be the final nail in the coffin for Intel.
Nothing from Zen4 dominated the 13600K.

13600K was faster in gaming and faster in multi-thread apps against more expensive Zen4 CPUs...

Top Bottom