• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi with a Heavy Load

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
k7XPa8b.jpg

• Publisher: SCS Software
  • Platform: PC (Steam)
  • Release Date: February 2nd, 2016
  • Price: $19.99
  • Where to buy: Steam page
  • Official Website

DSxqSAJ.jpg

American Truck Simulator (ATS) is the sequel to the award winning and critically acclaimed Euro Truck Simulator 2 by SCS Software. This time the hauling is taking place in North America, starting with California and Nevada, but expanding over time (via expansions and DLC) into the rest of the country including Canada and even all the way up to Alaska. ATS puts you squarely in the driver’s seat of a big rig, taking jobs to haul cargo into dozens of cities and over thousands of miles of roads. Along the way you earn money which you can use to upgrade your truck, buy new trucks, purchase garages for your trucks, and even hire drivers to operate your trucks for you, creating a trucking empire for yourself.

ATS strikes an unusual balance between hard and light sim. Light enough in it’s mechanics that casual gamers can enjoy the gameplay, yet enough of a serious sim game to keep even the hardcore sim fans entertained. The developer’s catch phrase “it’s not driving, it’s trucking” serves to make clear the distinction that unlike racing games, this is more of a driving simulator, in that it’s gameplay is distinctly not face paced nor adrenaline pushing yet engaging and challenging enough to hold a player’s attention. Many fans have labeled the game as relaxing and soothing, a refreshing lack of urgency, but still fun enough to entice them to rack up dozens or hundreds of hours of game time.

Adding to the game’s allure are the gorgeous graphics, and this is one area where ATS really shines. There is a lot of detail in the world maps and plenty to see, indeed some people play the game simply to go out for scenic drives and sightseeing. The map in ATS boasts more detail than in Euro Truck making it’s world feel more alive and lived in. Cities bear striking (sometimes even photographic) resemblance to their real world counterparts, although they are scaled down in street density and size. While driving you can witness beautiful sunrises and sunsets, experience mild rain or terrible thunderstorms, the visual atmosphere is excellent.

So sit yourself in the seat of a truck, take on a job, haul some cargo, listen to some tunes, and enjoy the open road like a real virtual truck driver!

Qr5VEae.jpg

• Drive highly detailed truck models officially licensed from truck manufacturers like Kenworth and Peterbuilt, with more to come soon.
  • Customize trucks by upgrading engines, chassis, wheels, paint, and other accessories.
  • Many types of trailers from reefers to flatbeds, from dumpers to lowboys and goosenecks, with a wide variety of cargo to haul.
  • Deliver cargo to a variety of companies and locations like refineries, oil storage, gas stations, car factories, or construction sites.
  • Longer trailers than ETS2, up to 53 ft, which will challenge your skills and patience while hauling and parking.
  • Police cars can now fine you if caught speeding or breaking the laws.
  • The inside of the cabin is fully adjustable. Adjust your seat, mirrors and position your head to get the best view of the road.
  • Weigh stations are now implemented, obey the law or pay a fine.
  • Earn experience and level up your skills to open up higher paying jobs.
  • Earn money to upgrade your truck, buy new trucks, buy garages, hire drivers, and build a trucking empire.
  • The GPS now also supports custom routes with many waypoints.
  • Add ambience to your trucking by listening to your own music or online radio stations via the game interface.
  • Capture Kodak moments with the built in photo mode and editing options.
  • Full support for various steering wheels, head tracking, gamepads and other input devices.
  • Includes challenging Steam achievements and hand painted Steam trading cards.
  • Long term support for the game, including both many free updates plus various DLC adding more states.

VjDz7jx.jpg

Video Links

Reviews

Screenshots

yizYLhN.jpg

Mods are starting to appear for ATS already. This will be a continuously updated section, and some mods may be early or in development yet, so use at your own risk!

Ozium

Only California and Nevada are putting me off..

when are Texas and Georgia available so I can have a Smokey and the Bandit game?

Mengy

Good god, that title. That's, ehm, yeah.

I actually rolled a six sided die to choose the title between all of the good suggestions I had, and that's the one that chance picked, so I ran with it!! :D

Loved Euro Truck Simulator, will def have to pick this up. No need to worry about left hand side driving and I already have a subconscious understanding of all the traffic signs. Bring it on 'merica.

Trucking hype. I'm spending the rest of the day refreshing the Steam store.

Nice work on the OT.
Only California and Nevada are putting me off..

when are Texas and Georgia available so I can have a Smokey and the Bandit game?
Arizona comes first. New Mexico and Texas is next in line after that, then Oregon and Washington. I don't think even SCS knows where they go from there.

Ozium

I want to get this because 'MURICA and *real looking trucks* but I still have yet to buy the scandinavian expansion for ETS2

also is there any connectivity between ETS2 and ATS?

I want to get this because 'MURICA and *real looking trucks* but I still have yet to buy the scandinavian expansion for ETS2

also is there any connectivity between ETS2 and ATS?

Not really any connectivity yet. They are both supposed to get more integration with their website worldoftrucks.com, but at the moment there is just a bare bones job market and screen shot gallery.

As for Scandinavia DLC, you should really check it out. The quality bump in the landscape from the original ETS is really noticeable, and they have carried on that level of detail to ATS

Anton668

well, i'll prolly be at work when this drops so i'll swing by wallyworld on lunch just for shiggles and gits. more than likely i'll have to get it on steam tomorrow...

rrs

well, i'll prolly be at work when this drops so i'll swing by wallyworld on lunch just for shiggles and gits. more than likely i'll have to get it on steam tomorrow...

The boxed copies release tomorrow, and I think it's only sold in boxes in Europe to boot.

U2NUMB

I am so excited for this.. $20 entry fee for 3 states is just fine to me and I will buy whatever DLC they release as far as new states. Super excited!!! Releases in like 8ish hours I believe.

I really hope one day they create a connected online world where we can all have our own trucking companies. The community for this game from what I have seen is overall fantastic. Small studio but I hope they continue to do very well.

Also World of Trucks should pull ALL of our stats not just from the jobs taken on that site.

Mengy

This truly is the darkest timeline...

I did use one of my old Dungeon's & Dragons dice, so maybe it's got a bit of Chaotic Evil in it yet, lol.

Trucking hype. I'm spending the rest of the day refreshing the Steam store.

Nice work on the OT.

Arizona comes first. New Mexico and Texas is next in line after that, then Orgeon and Washinton. I don't think even SCS knows where they go from there.

The OT is not completely final, I'll be able to spruce it up more once I can take screenshots from the game itself.

As for where SCS is going with the DLC and expansions, you are correct it goes: Arizona (free), then Texas, then Oregon and Washington, after that they have mentioned that they want to go into Canada along the coast and then up into Alaska, which is when they will add snow to the game. The eventual goal is to be able to drive coast to coast too, so they have a lot to do.

The eventual goal is to be able to drive coast to coast too, so they have a lot to do.
There are a ton of things that has to happen for that to be realistic though. SCS is a company that is very open with their long term plans and ambitions, but the negative aspect of that is that they change a lot of their priorities around even for stuff they have talked about and features they have announced years ago that still are not released.

I don't mind, because it is exciting to follow the process, but realistically anything they say that is more than a year into the future is subject to drastic changes. Although they have talked about stuff way down the line, I don't think anything other than the expansion towards Texas is set in stone as far as content goes.

Part of this is of course that they have grown to 4x the size as a company since ETS2 was released, so they are probably learning a lot of stuff the hard way.

Edit: Although ETS2, PC Gamer is running a giveaway for some cabin accessories http://www.pcgamer.com/win-pcg-goodies-for-your-euro-truck-simulator-2-cab/

GeoGonzo

I'm considering going to bed early so I can play this for a while before going to work tomorrow. Neat OT, Mengy.

seems like not even up for an hour and all 10,000 codes are gone....
:(

Man, that was fast. I managed to get one, but the form they used to hand them out seemed like a target for abuse. There was no email validation and it just handed out the code directly.

Anton668

but it was for ETS2 so, just get this..
SiSL’s Mega Pack 1.3.1

This update did a lot of fixes or improvements on existing items along with various new items… Pokemons, Angry Birds, Wall-E & EVE and ofcourse continuing with Saga of Star Wars, iconic vehicles like AT-AT, AT-ST, Slave I, BB-8 …
Also as you can see file size a bit larger than previous one, Big Flag for Glass and Passports can be customized with already pre-made texture files, you can find details on Facebook page “Notes” section.

Aaron D.

Great OT, even if the title is gauche & tacky as hell.

Looking forward to cruising up the 5 & 101 this weekend.

Makikou

Trucking in Nevada is much more enjoyable since truck speed limit on the highway is 85mph but in California it's only 55mph. Granted there maybe a bit more to see around California's roads than the infinite desert in Nevada.

Some roads that i've found great:
395 from Tonopah to Bakersfield. That classic american desert road. Straight & has that small undulating hill form. Keep your eyes in the skies though!!!

Road 152 that links Road 1 to Interstate 5 near San Fran. Single lane, twisty. Dark.

Peterbilt's have a much better dash imo, the information is right there. In Kenworths i find myself switching dash pages almost constantly but i dont have to do that with the Peterbilt.
Looking forward to more trucks already, especially these:

News post: http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/02/american-truck-simulator-release.html

American Truck Simulator Release Clarifications
We are snowed-in by a ton of questions and requests for clarification from fans, and it will be best to respond to them once here in an official statement rather than trying to reply to every e-mail.

American Truck Simulator Price

We cannot dictate the prices for the box edition in retail channels, we can only suggest recommended price (we could get prosecuted for price fixing otherwise), but for your reference, these are the prices that will appear on Steam when the game is cleared for release: $19.99, £14.99, 19,99€, CHF 19.99, 1499 pуб., R$ 79,00, ¥ 2,299, 179,00 kr, Rp 249 999, RM84.00, P899.95, S$26.95, ฿699.00, ₩ 24,000, 59,00 TL, 459₴, Mex$ 349.99, CDN$ 28.99, A$ 28.99, NZ$ 29.99, ¥ 125, ₹ 1,249, CLP$ 14.500, S/.64.95, COL$ 62.000, R 325.00, HK$ 149.00, NT$ 649, 74.00 SR, 72.00 AED.

Official Support only for 64-bit Operating Systems

To make sure that we don't have to make compromises down the line, stuck forever with a guarantee to support a build of the game with 32-bit limitations, we have decided to officially only support 64-bit Windows/Linux/Mac. There are some performance benefits too, but most importantly this will allow us to cross the 2 GB barrier for in-game assets when we need to, without worrying about how to work around the limitations of addressable memory on a 32-bit system.

However, we are receiving a lot of requests from players stuck with a 32-bit Windows to give them a chance to play the game now. We do listen to you, and we are also making available an UNSUPPORTED, alternate 32-bit build of the game. You will find it on Steam, in a Beta branch named unsupported_32bit. At the time of release, it will be functionally equivalent with the 64-bit build, and it should work ok so long as you don't push the graphics setting to max. Keep in mind that it's only an unsupported temporary solution, we are explicitly making no guarantees that it will work now or in the future. At some point in time, perhaps in 6 months, perhaps in 12 months, we will no longer be able to update this 32-bit fork of the game to match the feature set of the official version of the game. Hopefully by that time, you will all have migrated to a new 64-bit OS.

Release platforms/DRM

The game is released for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. It is will require Valve's Steam platform to install and activate. Whether you buy it directly there, or purchase an activation key from the official game website, find it in a box from a bricks-and-mortar store, or get it from any other digital channel, you will always be getting a Steam key.

We know that not everybody is comfortable with the decision, but for us the benefits are very clear. We will be able to concentrate on improving the game itself, and will not have to lose time and focus maintaining an alternate update and account infrastructure. With Steam, pushing out an update of the game is a matter of one button press. We can take advantage of Steam Workshop to have a central repository of mods, and will not have to create and moderate our own alternate solution. We would really have a hard time having to create our own system to sell, deliver and update game DLCs with equal robustness to Steam's proven infrastructure. We hope that you will understand why we are making this choice.

Bonus Paintjob Reminder

Speaking of Steam and the benefits its system allows us to provide... We would like to remind you about an exclusive steam-punk paint-job bonus DLC. It can be yours in exchange for following us on American Truck Simulator Steam page. We going to give early purchasers of the game a few extra days to allow them a chance to earn this bonus. Next week, the game will auto-magically update itself for all active followers to add these beauties:

steam_punk_paintjobs.jpg

Full price list for all regions:
$19.99, £14.99, 19,99€, CHF 19.99, 1499 pуб., R$ 79,00, ¥ 2,299, 179,00 kr, Rp 249 999, RM84.00, P899.95, S$26.95, ฿699.00, ₩ 24,000, 59,00 TL, 459₴, Mex$ 349.99, CDN$ 28.99, A$ 28.99, NZ$ 29.99, ¥ 125, ₹ 1,249, CLP$ 14.500, S/.64.95, COL$ 62.000, R 325.00, HK$ 149.00, NT$ 649, 74.00 SR, 72.00 AED.

Blog post with release info:
http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/02/american-truck-simulator-release.html

GKB

Full price list for all regions:
$19.99, £14.99, 19,99€, CHF 19.99, 1499 pуб., R$ 79,00, ¥ 2,299, 179,00 kr, Rp 249 999, RM84.00, P899.95, S$26.95, ฿699.00, ₩ 24,000, 59,00 TL, 459₴, Mex$ 349.99, CDN$ 28.99, A$ 28.99, NZ$ 29.99, ¥ 125, ₹ 1,249, CLP$ 14.500, S/.64.95, COL$ 62.000, R 325.00, HK$ 149.00, NT$ 649, 74.00 SR, 72.00 AED.

Blog post with release info:
http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/02/american-truck-simulator-release.html

Wow the Indonesian price is kind of expensive (250k IDR), i thought it would be closer to Scandinavia's price (130k IDR) since ATS is only 1USD higher.

I guess i'll have to wait for sale :(

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
How comprehensive have mods been proven to be? I'm just sitting here thinking how cool it would be to import GTA V's world into ATS and drive around their approximation of Cali.

Some roads that i've found great:
395 from Tonopah to Bakersfield. That classic american desert road. Straight & has that small undulating hill form. Keep your eyes in the skies though!!!

The fact that this game has the Bakersfield Arch means I have to buy it. Gotta support the guys that support my hometown.

Also, Central California in general has some great driving roads. Shame trucks don't really drive up the sequoias or anything.

Anton668

so about that price (im fine with it), if you think $20 is a steal, you can always pay more! theres a few sellers on Amazon who will sell you a disk from the UK for $34.99 + $3.99 shipping! what a bargain! and up til yesterday I saw one that listed the price at $59.99 but was on "sale" for like $40. fucking wankers...

Top Bottom