• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysts give opinions on Sony acquiring EA, Ubisoft or Take Two in response to Acti-Blizz deal

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Gotta improve those micro transactions in Sony exclusive games.

evil smile GIF

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
As long as the console wars don’t effect pc sales all good to me. Would be a reason to own both consoles for sure.

Last edited:

Fredrik

As long as the console wars don’t effect pc sales all good to me. Would be a reason to own both consoles for sure.
Sony acquisitions affect PC sales though. They have that weird 2-3 years stalled release going for all their 1st party games. The only time they release on PC day 1 is if it’s a third party exclusive.
I hope they keep their organic growth strategy instead.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
fifa cannot become exclusive so i really don't know if it would be worth

Because it's the biggest game in gaming history? It's profitable regardless of platform and it's a stable on nearly every house.

This is not gonna happen but if it happens it's a massive buy and a guaranteed ROI.

MonarchJT

Banned
Because it's the biggest game in gaming history? It's profitable regardless of platform and it's a stable on nearly every house.

This is not gonna happen but if it happens it's a massive buy and a guaranteed ROI.
i don't see how Sony would spend something like another 70b (that doesn't have In any way) for a game that cannot move the needle to sell their consoles. It will not happen. period. Is just fantasyland

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
i don't see how Sony would spend something like another 70b (that doesn't have In any way) for a game that cannot move the needle to sell their consoles. It will not happen. period. Is just fantasylans

1- It's not $70B, it's $37B.
2- FIFA makes more than $1B/year just from MTX. Let alone Madden.
3- There are plenty of massive IP's within EA's sleaves.
4- This is a cheap rumor.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
1- It's not $70B, it's $37B.
2- FIFA makes more than $1B/year just from MTX. Let alone Madden.
3- There are plenty of massive IP's within EA's sleaves.
4- This is a cheap rumor.
1) 37 before even taking about selling....it will land around 65/70 or more ..how much you think was valued Activision?
2) Sony isn't Microsoft ..sony want sell consoles before software or they are gonna release their games day one on PC?
3) not worth the cost
4) yes as i said is fantasyland Sony doesn't have the money to buy ea.....and if the company decides to undermine all investments for the other divisions over the next few years, would it bet everything on the most expensive publisher out there?

Last edited:

Elios83

EA is only worth for FIFA and Madden but those are based on licenses they might lose or they could be forced to develop for multiple platforms (see what happened with MLB). Price is astronomical. Not worth it imo.

Ubisoft is just trash nowadays.

Take Two would be good and much cheaper than EA. GTA and RDR are not licenses.

But the best return on the investment for Sony is Square+Capcom, at 10-15 billions they could get both, an insane amount of successful and beloved IPs at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Ew, fucking hope not. Square-Enix or another Japanese pub/team would be better.

Yup. Square-Enix seems like a good buy, you would get IPs like Thief, Deus Ex, Parasite Eve, Fear Effect, Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain - I think.

Cyberpunk was popular despite the mess it was, so it would be nice to see next-gen Deus Ex.
And I would be down for some Legacy of Kain next-gen experience too - especially Soul Reaver.
And Thief would be a nice IP to have, now that Microsoft have Dishonored IP tbh.

But that's just my wishful thinking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Really don't want to see Sony buying in bulk just for the sake of it.

I prefer the Insomniac way, target a high-quality studio, I mean the 229 million they spent on that studio, that's is one hell of an acquisition.

If I was them I would be looking at studios like From software, Larian studios, team cherry etc.

Fuck this Ea crap.

I want quality, not quantity.

The Alien

Banned
Ubi has little of value (at least to me).

EA has value in their sports franchises (FIFA, NFL, NHL) - but pretty sure, by contract, they have to be multiplat.

Frankly, the only game that would be a game changer, if ever exclusive, would be GTA.

Markio128

The only reason why Fifa and COD make so much money is because they are available to all gamers. Make them exclusive to one console and you are literally de-valuing the IP. I see these acquisitions only as a pissing contest for fanboys, with no real benefit to any gamer. I just hope Sony don’t try to follow in the footsteps of MS who have done nothing but literally spend billions on games that were going to release on their platform anyway. It’s mind boggling to me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Pretty sure MS can easily outbid Sony if Sony can even afford it. Not to Mention EA play is on game pass and there’s no way MS is letting that get away.
If so that would mean MS would have invested around $100 billion to acquire Activision and EA. I mean MS can afford it, but is there any chance of there ever being a return on investment if they do that?!

sainraja

Sony acquisitions affect PC sales though. They have that weird 2-3 years stalled release going for all their 1st party games. The only time they release on PC day 1 is if it’s a third party exclusive.
I hope they keep their organic growth strategy instead.
I don't think Sony is buying EA BUT Sony use to publish some games on the PC (under the SOE division) that I don't think ever made it to console (maybe Planet Side?) so it's not like they haven't published to PC day one in the past. As for PlayStation Studio first party titles (specially their titles that have been traditionally PS), I personally think they are testing the waters and will adjust their strategy as needed in the future.

Riveting fan fiction these analysts write these days.
They are analysts. It is their job to do just that.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
If so that would mean MS would have invested around $100 billion to acquire Activision and EA. I mean MS can afford it, but is there any chance of there ever being a return on investment if they do that?!
looking at their cash...divisions and how they usual spend the Is no reality where Sony spend more than 1 - 1.5b acquiring someone
people should keep their feet on the ground

Last edited:

reksveks

There are too many factors involved when it comes to how much of a premium you pay. You can't estimate it just looking at those two recent examples
I am simplifying things but Activision in terms of revenue is very similar. I don't think the premium is going to be less than 30% especially given that there are very few players left at the size.

The one major difference is the margin of Activision is in the high 20% and EA is around 15-20%.

Do you have an estimate of how much it would be?

Top Bottom