• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysts give opinions on Sony acquiring EA, Ubisoft or Take Two in response to Acti-Blizz deal

MonarchJT

Banned
What part of politics do you not get? They don't care about gaming or Sony or who the market leaders are there. They care about the $ trillion tech conglomerates like Microsoft, Google and Apple
and with what excuses they should block Microsoft ..and above all with what political excuse would they take the defense of Sony or even worse tencent? What are you talking about. Even after the acquisition of Activision and a hypothetical Square enix by Ms, Sony would remain the leader.
  • SONY. Gaming Revenue: $25.0 billion.
  • TENCENT. Gaming Revenue: $13.9 billion.
  • NINTENDO. Gaming Revenue: $12.1 billion.
  • MICROSOFT. Gaming Revenue: $11.6 billion.
If there is anyone who wouldn't be allowed to buy a huge publisher and would be immediately targeted by the Antitrust it's Sony but luckily they can't afford to buy EA at the moment.

Last edited:
What's the alternative because western publishers are getting worse and worse. I find myself playing mostly Japanese developed games these days. I mean just look at February. The big games are from Japanese publishers and its genuine high quality.
You may do but the general public doesn't. I'm not dissing Japanese games at all because they certainly have their place in the industry and I do love some Japanese games.

But Sony already has the Japanese games. They would be buying Japanese studios for gamers that already game on the PS. They wouldn't be gaining any markets hare whatsoever, whilst losing all Western developers.

And whilst Japanese has they niche, they arnt system sellers, Unless they are Nintendo. And that's a hard thing to follow.

and with what excuses they should block Microsoft ..and above all with what political excuse would they take the defense of Sony or even worse tencent? What are you talking about. Even after the acquisition of Activision and a hypothetical Square enix by Ms, Sony would remain the leader.
If there is anyone who wouldn't be allowed to buy a huge publisher and would be immediately targeted by the Antitrust it's Sony but luckily they can't afford to buy EA at the moment.

Good lord will you read. The politics have nothing to do with the current gaming market. It's about cracking down on big tech, and yes regulators would love to stop Microsoft's biggest acquisition to send that message. If you understand the politics surrounding big tech then this is simple enough to grasp.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Good lord will you read. The politics have nothing to do with the current gaming market. It's about cracking down on big tech, and yes regulators would love to stop Microsoft's biggest acquisition to send that message. If you understand the politics surrounding big tech then this is simple enough to grasp.
Regulator at this age are cowards. This isn't 1990s regulators.

These dumbasses will take money from you, and turn blind eye.

Everything else is optics.

We saw Disney buying fox. Nothing can stop MS from buying 1 more big publisher.

MS saving grace is last gen. They can use that excuse, as why they won't be in monopoly.

Brofist

Cracking down on big tech as in Nvidia and Arm for obvious reasons. Doubt they gave 2 fucks that CoD will be MS now.

Mozza

Then again with ludicrous articles like this no wonder people get confused, this article is suggesting Microsoft have just bough Activision, and paid more than their company is worth. ;)

Microsoft's current market cap stands at 2.29 Trillion.

MonarchJT

Banned
Good lord will you read. The politics have nothing to do with the current gaming market. It's about cracking down on big tech, and yes regulators would love to stop Microsoft's biggest acquisition to send that message. If you understand the political revolving around big tech then this is simple enough to grasp.
I try to follow your reasoning but it is completely far-fetched for very different reasons. 1) We are talking about an American company that would take some marketshare away from a Chinese one, and leave in first place (for revenue) ,but with much less predominance, a Japanese company then followed by another Japanese company (ninty). 2) Any regulator must explain the reasons for a hypothetical block and these must be explained in front of a judge so they can't be far-fetched antics and at the moment apart from the fact of "Microsoft is a rich company" there is no other obvious motivation.3) The politicians you speak of would not gain any advantage, and I assure you that if they ever took a stand against the takeover they would only do so if they took political advantage, but this is not an American company vs another American company (and there we would have to understand who and which lobbies would intervene behind the scenes) but of Asian companies and one as I said before even Chinese and we know very well how American governments try to put a spoke in the wheel of the Chinese market.
As I have already said, antitrust is more likely to move against Sony in the case of an acquisition of a publisher than against Ms in this case.

Last edited:

Brofist

They don't care about COD. They care that one of the big techs they want to crack down on is spending obscene amounts of money again though
They aren't really buying anything tech related here though. If they were buying out like AMD there's no way they'd be able to. This is on the same level as Disney's acquisitions to me.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Then again with ludicrous articles like this no wonder people get confused, this article is suggesting Microsoft have just bough Activision, and paid more than their company is worth. ;)

Its definitely arguable that MS are paying more than current-state ABK is worth!

Their revenue alone is not what regulators would be looking at.

Nor would Sony buying any gaming publisher result in any monopoly or antitrust.

Consumers would still have choice, which is ultimately what the question would be.

The market isn't consolidated enough that there is technically a lack of choice.

Do you know how many movie distributors there are? There are 5. Would American regulators allow any more consolidation than this? Well Before there was 5 there was 6 and they let Disney buy Fox. Disney was #1 and Fox was #5.

Not to mention that unless it's an American publisher, the SEC isn't going to have much involvement.

MonarchJT

Banned
Their revenue alone is not what regulators would be looking at.

Nor would Sony buying any gaming publisher result in any monopoly or antitrust.

Consumers would still have choice, which is ultimately what the question would be.

The market isn't consolidated enough that there is technically a lack of choice.

Do you know how many movie distributors there are? There are 5. Would American regulators allow any more consolidation than this? Well Before there was 5 there was 6 and they let Disney buy Fox. Disney was #1 and Fox was #5.

Not to mention that unless it's an American publisher, the SEC isn't going to have much involvement.
Yeah , this is in fact exactly what I'm saying ....if not even Sony would be judged as monopoly ..imagine Ms

Sygma

Honestly getting EA sports franchise is something I've alluded to in a previous post and it's the one that makes the most sense. Why? Because back then every fucking body bought a ps2 for a couple of reasons, essentially these being PES when fifa was still shit and other good sports games. These were always garbage on other consoles outside of tennis / basketball games on Xbox. Think about it, if Sony manages to have exclusivity of the very best sport games all over again ON TOP of having MLB who gives a shit th. at xbox bought all these studios.

Combine that with jrpgs and thats it + the already beloved ips and hopefully one or two live games

Last edited:

JCK75

I think people have a completely unrealistic idea of what Sony is worth and how much cash they have on hand if they think any of those are realistic.
Microsoft could buy Sony twice with what they paid for Activision.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Given all of EA's stuff, the only big nuggets are FIFA and Apex Legends (I think?). I dont think all their other franchises sell that great. But I don't know if EA has any big mobile Candy Crush kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Not to mention last quarter Microsoft nearly made back all the money the spent on the acquisition. Also, the moment Microsoft does officially gain Activision/Blizzard, their value almost automatically goes up that amount. This is nothing in the grand scheme of Microsoft operating costs.

kingfey

Banned
Its definitely arguable that MS are paying more than current-state ABK is worth!
Current worth, doesn't translate to sellable price.

MS got Activision for cheap. They could have sold it for $80+b.

The Activision scandal made the price way to cheap for MS.

kingfey

Banned
Not to mention last quarter Microsoft nearly made back all the money the spent on the acquisition. Also, the moment Microsoft does officially gain Activision/Blizzard, their value almost automatically goes up that amount. This is nothing in the grand scheme of Microsoft operating costs.
This the difference between passive income, and active income.

MS has long term stable income, which enables them to buy anything they want.

Sony has to sell products. If they fail to sell that product, they lose money.

This the difference between passive income, and active income.

MS has long term stable income, which enables them to buy anything they want.

Sony has to sell products. If they fail to sell that product, they lose money.

You mean the difference between products and services. Not passive and active income

Sony has both products and services like Microsoft. They just don't have something as lucrative and wide-reaching as the cloud.

Last edited:
You may do but the general public doesn't. I'm not dissing Japanese games at all because they certainly have their place in the industry and I do love some Japanese games.

But Sony already has the Japanese games. They would be buying Japanese studios for gamers that already game on the PS. They wouldn't be gaining any markets hare whatsoever, whilst losing all Western developers.

And whilst Japanese has they niche, they arnt system sellers, Unless they are Nintendo. And that's a hard thing to follow.

if the games sell millions of copies how could they not be system sellers? you need the system to play it.

RevGaming

What's the alternative because western publishers are getting worse and worse. I find myself playing mostly Japanese developed games these days. I mean just look at February. The big games are from Japanese publishers and its genuine high quality.
Faaaaacts.

Japanese publishers have been carried last gen

NickFire

I am not convinced that buying a publisher makes any sense for Sony's console business. They should, without any doubt, work on developing (or finishing) a solid online FPS that uses modern human weapons. The risk of losing COD makes a first party shooter imperative, because there are lots of people who stick to sports and shooters. They should probably be working with EA to port the Old Republic to console too, so that there is something with known IP as an alternative to console WoW (which I believe MS will have ported). I doubt it would have the impact of WoW, but it would check the box sufficiently.

None of the other games they might lose out on will change much in terms of console market share, IMO. But those two games could really shake things up. Sony needs to focus on having alternatives to those much more so than trying to chase MS across PC and mobile. Stay focused.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not my point though, but perhaps they have paid a little too much.

It kinda speaks to it though because its been suggested that MS have offered an unusually generous amount per share because they are somewhat concerned about current movement in Washington potentially blocking the acquisition. Not a big finance/politics guy so not entirely sure why that should matter -especially because the worry seems on MS' part to be the block would be just a way to "send a message" to big -tech about mass consolidation, and nothing that specific to them or the deal.

Could be all BS, but considering it came from a non-gaming source I'm inclined to believe the political angle could be affecting the business.

Lognor

Banned
Maybe Sony should acquire EA. Maybe then we will get Madden on Switch!

Sony is now releasing MLB The Show on Switch. Sony clearly pushing these sports games on multiple platforms.

Dane

Microsoft always played safe with regulators after IE lawsuit and avoid regulations and lawsuit problems more than Meta Inc and Google, if they can't buy ABK, then no one can regardless of being big tech or not, Bobby was also considering Meta as a buyer. It's an american company buying another american company in a entertaiment sector, its not considered an strategical - essential sector like regulators did intervine before on cases like Qualcomm, Honeywell and now ARM.

Microsoft always played safe with regulators after IE lawsuit and avoid regulations and lawsuit problems more than Meta Inc and Google, if they can't buy ABK, then no one can regardless of being big tech or not, Bobby was also considering Meta as a buyer. It's an american company buying another american company in a entertaiment sector, its not considered an strategical - essential sector like regulators did intervine before on cases like Qualcomm, Honeywell and now ARM.

I know they play it safe. That was my point to the other guy who thought Microsoft would be reckless enough to go after multiple big publishers in a year.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Shorn of their licenses, EA would be a cheaper and a pretty good get for Sony.

Bioware (I still have faith in them) and their I.Ps
DICE... (Yeah, I still have faith in them for some reason)
Respawn and their I.Ps
Codemasters etc. The list goes.

But, I just don't see EA losing them and I don't see Sony paying 50bn for them.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
yhGmsBi.png

ReBurn

Gold Member
Exactly. The Activision deal won't get as much scrutiny as other tech deals would. Take the ARM deal that Nvidia is probably going to abandon. Who controls microprocessor design and its impact on the chip industry is a big deal to government regulators because it impacts so many industries. One company becoming so powerful in regard to the technology that makes pretty much everything in the world work is a valid concern.

What we're talking about with Activision being purchased by Microsoft is more like Disney buying Fox, Lucasfilm and Marvel. Sure, lots of entertainment brands get folded into one umbrella company, but does it fundamentally change the dynamics of the industry? For the foreseeable future there's no reason to think it will. Sony will still be the industry revenue leader even after Microsoft and Activision combine. Nintendo doesn't lose out because they already don't get Call of Duty. PC gets everything anyway. And it's only entertainment.

That said, bureaucrats need to justify their existence so regulators will scrutinize it. It will be interesting to see if they see enough there to block it.

NickFire

This was a much better play than buying a huge publisher for 20-30 times the cost (for Sony, which does not have the same war chest). A FPS in case COD goes exclusive was, without any doubt, the most pressing need for 2024 onward. Now they have Destiny protected from becoming exclusive, plus whatever Bungie had in the hopper, plus Bungie's technology as it relates to the skeleton of a FPS.

kingfey

Banned
You mean the difference between products and services. Not passive and active income

Sony has both products and services like Microsoft. They just don't have something as lucrative and wide-reaching as the cloud.
They have to actively sell the product. Compared to MS, which don't need to sell anything.

They have subscription plan, which they make guarantee money.

Sony doesn't have that luxury. Their selling product comes at a risk, while MS is risk free.

Mozza

They have to actively sell the product. Compared to MS, which don't need to sell anything.

They have subscription plan, which they make guarantee money.

Sony doesn't have that luxury. Their selling product comes at a risk, while MS is risk free.
It's amazing how people do not get it, Microsoft as you say have guaranteed income streams, their Video game business is a pretty small operation within the wider corporation, them spending 79 billion is not sinking in with people, when you consider Sony is worth 22 billion, it's a drop in the ocean for Microsoft, while for Sony it would be over three times their corporation's value.

Or put another way Microsoft have just bought the equivalent of Sony three times, and have not even scratched the surface of their potential cash reserves.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
It's amazing how people do not get it, Microsoft as you say have guaranteed income streams, their Video game business is a pretty small operation within the wider corporation, them spending 79 billion is not sinking in with people, when you consider Sony is worth 22 billion, it's a drop in the ocean for Microsoft, while for Sony it would be over three times their corporation's value.

Or put another way Microsoft have just bought the equivalent of Sony three times, and have not even scratched the surface of their potential cash reserves.
Sony market cap is $140b. MS spent half of entire Sony worth in cash. And got 1/3rd of that money back this earnings call last 2 week.

I am glad MS were dumb during xbox one. Imagine them buying alot of studios, during that period. Most studios were cheap.

SLB1904

Banned
Actually I'm not sure. Who is publishing it? And did they outsource the development? Sony developed the game for PS and Xbox so I wouldn't be surprised if they were developing for Switch too. Do you know?
i would assume is easier to port games to Xbox than switch but I'm just guessing. so far nothing, the game isn't on the switch. maybe in the future who knows

BreakOut

Apple will parter with Sony like they done with Nintendo! They showcase a dual sense controller in a past event. Also Sony just started PlayStation mobile or something like that.

The thing with Apple is, they do the products and they wait for devs to enrich their ecosystem. I don’t see they venturing into traditional gaming as it’s not their target public.
I just saw the dual sense update and I noticed they sell that controller at the Apple Store too.

Top Bottom