• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ancient DNA Shows All Europeans Were Once Descended From Belgians

E-phonk

Banned
Hello fellow Belgian-european brothers!

Ancient DNA left over from the last ice age shows that all Europeans, at one time, were descended from early humans living in Belgium. Analysis of genomes also suggested our distant ancestors underwent significant evolutionary changes during the Ice Age and a few thousand years following that frigid era.

A total of 51 genetic samples were examined in the latest study, a vast improvement in understanding compared with the four examples available previous to now.

Modern humans first entered Europe roughly 45,000 years before the modern age. This migration spelled the end of Neanderthals, which had previously inhabited the continent. All of the ancient Europeans examined in this study exhibited lineages that traced back to a population that lived 37,000 years ago in a region that would later be known as Belgium.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/155767/20160503/ancient-dna-europeans-descended-belgians.htm

Eat Belgian waffles if old

E-phonk

Banned
Can I choose to do this regardless?

Enjoy!

Belgian-Waffles_7535.jpg

Make sense as I work with quite a few Neanderthals on a daily basis. :p

Brussels sprouts for you...

Jag

I felt a little flemish when I woke up today. I thought it was allergies. The more you know.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
But more importantly, from the best half of Belgium or worst half of Belgium?

After reading through the source, that's not quite what they're saying.

To sum up: According to this genetic study, there are three waves of major population migration that make up the general genetics of the modern day European. The latest of these came from the south-east some 14,000 years ago, the middle group from Spain repopulated the continent after the ice age ended 19,000 years ago, and there was an extant population dating back 37,000 years that can is at the root of all ethnic Europeans. That last group is represented by a specimen from Belgium; that does not mean that group itself is from Belgium or everyone's ancestors come from Belgium, that's just where our source comes from.

Source:
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-05/hhmi-tgh042816.php

The genetic data show that, beginning 37,000 years ago, all Europeans come from a single founding population that persisted through the Ice Age, said Reich. The founding population has some deep branches in different parts of Europe, one of which is represented by a specimen from Belgium. This branch seems to have been displaced in most parts of Europe 33,000 years ago, but around 19,000 years ago, a population related to it re-expanded across Europe, Reich explained. Based on the earliest sample in which this ancestry is observed, it is plausible that this population expanded from the southwest, present-day Spain, after the Ice Age peaked.

So if anything, it would be more correct to say everyone is descended from Spaniards...

That's a bit undramatic, isn't it? Belgium?
Waffles are the most ancient and respected food.

To sum up: According to this genetic study, there are three waves of major population migration that make up the general genetics of the modern day European. The latest of these came from the south-east some 14,000 years ago, the middle group from Spain repopulated the continent after the ice age ended 19,000 years ago, and there was an extant population dating back 37,000 years that can is at the root of all ethnic Europeans. That last group is represented by a specimen from Belgium; that does not mean that group itself is from Belgium or everyone's ancestors come from Belgium, that's just where our source comes from.

Source:

So if anything, it would be more correct to say everyone is descended from Spaniards...

Fake news, why do you hate waffles?

Thanks for the summary. So they're just better mapping out the various root groups that later became europeans and they found a couple important specimens.

That's a bit undramatic, isn't it? Belgium?
Waffles are the most ancient and respected food.

Fake news, why do you hate waffles?

Thanks for the summary. So they're just better mapping out the various root groups that later became europeans and they found a couple important specimens.

And otherwise those specimens are just the ones they had on hand that felt relevant. Ie, 'this one is old enough to give us an idea of how things do or don't diverge from here'.

Africans.

Clarification: Everyone of the wider European ethnic group.

sphagnum

Banned

Source:

Yeah, basically. They wouldn't have even been light skinned. Although you're forgetting the Proto-Indo-Europeans/Yamna people ("Aryans") who showed up about 5000-6000 years ago.

Yeah, basically. They wouldn't have even been light skinned. Although you're forgetting the Proto-Indo-Europeans/Yamna people ("Aryans") who showed up about 5000-6000 years ago.

Summing up what's in the press release itself. Which given the phrasing, could suggest the PIE people, while in many European's ancestries, aren't actually in all of them, as these groups are meant to be. That or it's just up to 7,000 years ago, and so the PIE's fall outside the margins.

sphagnum

Banned
Summing up what's in the press release itself. Which given the phrasing, could suggest the PIE people, while in many European's ancestries, aren't actually in all of them, as these groups are meant to be. That or it's just up to 7,000 years ago, and so the PIE's fall outside the margins.

Ah, I see. I guess it's true the PIEs might not show in every lineage. From what I remember I think Sardinians are largely supposed to be direct descendants of Anatolian Neolithic farmers with little to no PIE. Not sure about what Hungarian and Finnish genetics are like but I'd assume there's much more crossover.

Top Bottom