• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"And you can download it today for free!" What were your favorite E3 game, DLC, or demo giveaways?

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
It's always nice when companies attempt to build goodwill and gain publicity by giving away their products. Usually it's an older game, meant to create more interest for a sequel, but it could also be a newer game, or even just a demo or beta of a game you thought you'd have to wait several months to play. Some of the best E3 moments for me have been these giveaways, and The new Borderlands 2 DLC for the Handsome Collection might be my personal favorite.

I was thinking it would be a 1 hour mini-story that mostly worked as an advertisement for the new game, but I was surprised to find it's up there with some of the larger DLC add-ons for the game, clocking in at what feels somewhere between the Captain Scarlet and Tiny Tina DLCs. I guess it makes sense that it's only free for the first month, but it's a great way to get people playing Borderlands again only a few months away from the next game in the series.

Free Black Ops 3 and free Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare also come to mind, but I'm sure I'm forgetting some other good examples. What have your favorites been?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
BL2 DLC for me as well. Won't get to it for a bit (working on the Pre Sequel with friends after it hit PS+ as we never played that one), but will get to it when we get to BL2 after than and before BL3 is out.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
BL2 DLC for me as well. Won't get to it for a bit (working on the Pre Sequel with friends after it hit PS+ as we never played that one), but will get to it when we get to BL2 after than and before BL3 is out.

Bit of advice: If you create a new character without selecting "start new game" or whatever, you can start with any character class at level 30, with all but the final story mission of the main campaign finished. It's perfect for either trying a new character, or making sure you and your friends are all the same level when you start the DLC.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Bit of advice: If you create a new character without selecting "start new game" or whatever, you can start with any character class at level 30, with all but the final story mission of the main campaign finished. It's perfect for either trying a new character, or making sure you and your friends are all the same level when you start the DLC.

Cool! I’ll likely do that as my friends are doing new BL2 playthroughs while I’m healing from surgery and saving the Presequel we nevertheless played for when I can play again. I’m not terribly interested in replaying all of BL2 as I don’t want to burn out before BL3 and have a bunch if other things to finish before the fall rush hits.

As a resident first halfer (started this game a billion times, never got more than halfway through) would this let me play all of the DLC including the new one right away? I really just want to check out end game stuff.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
As a resident first halfer (started this game a billion times, never got more than halfway through) would this let me play all of the DLC including the new one right away? I really just want to check out end game stuff.

Yes, it will. I think it even starts you in the new DLC itself, but you can just take a fast travel station to any other location. I believe ONLY the main story campaign missions have been completed with a level 30 character creation, so you can also explore any side missions you may have missed, along with all the DLC.

Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty - levels 15 to 30 (Accessed at "Oasis" in Fast Travel)
Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage - levels 15 to 30 (Accessed at "Badass Crater of Badassitude" in Fast Travel)
Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt - levels 30 to 35 (Accessed at "Hunter's Grotto" in Fast Travel)
Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep - levels 30 to 35 (Accessed at "Unassuming Docks" in Fast Travel)

Those are the four main DLC campaigns. The first two don't have story spoilers, but the second two do. And, of course, the new DLC has story spoilers as well.

As far as the main Borderlands 2 campaign goes, here's a nice official recap that doesn't go into any of the DLC, or even show the ending of the game (beyond a glimpse of the final boss).

It does skip over one massive spoiler for the main campaign, though:

Jack kills Roland, who is the solider from the first game and leader of the resistance.

Level 30 also puts you just one level away from earning your first capstone skill, and then you still have a lot more leveling through any of the DLC or new game+ modes.

Last edited:
Yes, it will. I think it even starts you in the new DLC itself, but you can just take a fast travel station to any other location. I believe ONLY the main story campaign missions have been completed with a level 30 character creation, so you can also explore any side missions you may have missed, along with all the DLC.

Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty - levels 15 to 30 (Accessed at "Oasis" in Fast Travel)
Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage - levels 15 to 30 (Accessed at "Badass Crater of Badassitude" in Fast Travel)
Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt - levels 30 to 35 (Accessed at "Hunter's Grotto" in Fast Travel)
Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep - levels 30 to 35 (Accessed at "Unassuming Docks" in Fast Travel)

Those are the four main DLC campaigns. The first two don't have story spoilers, but the second two do. And, of course, the new DLC has story spoilers as well.

As far as the main Borderlands 2 campaign goes, here's a nice official recap that doesn't go into any of the DLC, or even show the ending of the game (beyond a glimpse of the final boss).

It does skip over one massive spoiler for the main campaign, though:

Jack kills Roland, who is the solider from the first game and leader of the resistance.

Level 30 also puts you just one level away from earning your first capstone skill, and then you still have a lot more leveling through any of the DLC or new game+ modes.

Awesome!! Thanks so much for the detailed response!!! I'm gonna jump in tonight then. I'm not personally worried about spoilers in this game and just want to skip past all the stuff I've done a billion times to get to the DLC. Also, new game plus and all that.

Top Bottom