• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another contender for scientific breakthrough of the millennium: (possible) cure for cancer

SJRB

Gold Member
With chat-GPT and LLM exponential increase in capabilities in general, the very real possibility of room-temperature superconductors and now this, 2023 is coming in clutch

Highly experimental, of course. But still. Imagine getting AGI, room-temp superconductors and a cure for cancer within a decade or two. Bring on the techno-utopia!

tkscz

With chat-GPT and LLM exponential increase in capabilities in general, the very real possibility of room-temperature superconductors and now this, 2023 is coming in clutch

Highly experimental, of course. But still. Imagine getting AGI, room-temp superconductors and a cure for cancer within a decade or two. Bring on the techno-utopia!

If all goes well then we could be looking at something of a remedy (I do not want to use the word cure) to 70 kinds of cancer. Though the test are only mouth cancer for now. However they are just finding the isomer in cancer? I'm no biologist by any means but could we not see something like that in a cell before? Either way that's a HUGE find. That means cancer can be targeted, and with our cells not being able to mutate past it, there is no mutating past whatever they find.

YCoCg

People wouldn't take a vaccine because they said it altered your DNA, good luck getting people on board with something that actually DOES interact with your DNA.

Fbh

Well hopefully it's true but wouldn't get my hopes up until there's more concrete evidence.

People wouldn't take a vaccine because they said it altered your DNA, good luck getting people on board with something that actually DOES interact with your DNA.

Based on the description in the Tweet it sounds like something you'd take after being diagnosed with cancer, instead of something you take preventively.
I think a lot of people will become more open to new drugs when there's a chance it might cure their cancer, specially if clinical trials on humans are showing positive results. Even if you`re skeptical this would be like "the risk of potential unforeseen issues in the future vs the very real very serious issue you have now".

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

The stupid fucks who did that weren’t sick, and didn’t care about anyone else. It’s amazing how smart stupid fucks suddenly get when they are actually sick.

Crayon

Does the 70 include lung cancer? I'd like to get back the 20 years off the end of my life from not using respirator masks when I should have.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Lol even if this was true it'd be so far out.
99b02ad3-333c-4516-a82e-2bed4436cede_text.gif

Crayon

Where did you work?

Oh, I work in a lab but I know better now. I have a respirator hanging right off my monitor.

But over the years I've done a lot of dirty work and looking back there are so many times I should have been wearing one.

I got a lot of really bad attitude towards safety from my dad. He's lucky to be alive and have all his limbs. I was never half as crazy as he was but I'm lucky I haven't gotten really hurt, too.

dave_d

Given that I'm old enough to remember interleukin 2, interferon, and angiostatin as "Cures for cancer" I'm not holding my breath.

Jsisto

I can’t wait for all the horrific diseases that come about in the future once we’ve found a way to treat all the maladies of the modern times.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not gonna hold my breath on this one. Even if it works on a biomechanical level; delivering it, limiting off-target effects, and actually achieving disease free remission all have to be evaluated. This is a grasp for funding I think. I've seen COUNTLESS claims like this over the years that, 5 years later, are a limited function tool (like CRISPR) at best or straight vaporware at worst (Theranos, anyone?).

Still, the more we know, the more tools we have in the fight.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I saw a video where they saw you could cure cancer with frequency modulation, but drug companies buried it.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I saw a video where they saw you could cure cancer with frequency modulation, but drug companies buried it.
I’m not sure wtf that means but it’s been theorized you could obliterate tumors with lithotripsy, which uses ultrasound. But that’s only one part of the equation

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I’m not sure wtf that means but it’s been theorized you could obliterate tumors with lithotripsy, which uses ultrasound. But that’s only one part of the equation
Ya it was a weird pseudo science thing. My dad use to do lithotripsy for Kidney stones. It had to do more with using like frequency resonance.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Ya it was a weird pseudo science thing. My dad use to do lithotripsy for Kidney stones. It had to do more with using like frequency resonance.
Right, same concept to break up kidney stones but for tumors. It was mostly theoretical/concept phase when I was involved but that was several years ago.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Right, same concept to break up kidney stones but for tumors. It was mostly theoretical/concept phase when I was involved but that was several years ago.
Ultrasound (well, high frequency sound) is a treatment for some forms of prostate cancer, I believe. The idea is the tumor cells are more fragile and can be disrupted before the surrounding healthy tissue is damaged beyond repair. Not really that different than x-ray treatments or some forms of chemo, really, the goal is to kill the tumor faster than it kills the normal stuff around it.

The "holy grail" for cancer treatments are therapies that ONLY target tumor cells, nothing else, and can kill EVERY tumor cell while leaving the rest of the body intact. Very, very, few treatments offer this hope though, even the highly specific monoclonal antibody, CAR-T, or gene therapies always have some off target effect, possible tumor resistance, or residual disease possibility, though certainly some folks can achieve 100% remission for the rest of their natural lives. Given the multitude of ways "cancer" presents, it's just the way it is that each cancer really needs it's own specific therapy, there really is no "all cancer cure-all", it would be like trying to develop a protective suit that could "prevent all trauma".

Top Bottom