• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another revolution controller pic..

pj

Banned
Jacked from txb..

rev_controller1.jpg

Brightened

revolutionthing.jpg

did the translating... it's not really all that clear but I makes sense.

Revolutionary Sender/Controller - A fully *touchable* keyboard.

It has NO BUTTONS at all. The sender/controller and gamer both recieve interact with each other through movement... this implies that not only is the game controlled through the movement of the player but all the controll itself gives some form of feedback.

The controller has built in sensors that can tell the distance between the player, and console. It has a built in microphone, and can determine it's position. (So turning the controller around and moving it in an direction would be a form of controlling)

PLEASE DON'T KILL ME

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
FAKE.

I hope :(

I mean, adding Gyro would be cool, but not at the expense of everything else.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Mods,

Don't lock!

I have have some thoughts on this on why it might be legit...

Sounds like the most un-intuitive design in history.

"Revolutionary new control mechanism! Tired of pushing "down" to run backwards in Mario? Want to look up in the latest first person shooters? Just turn around and run away from the tv!"

pj

Banned
Wario64 said:
why make a new thread? we already have a thread about this fake

Well, I showed it to amirox in chat before I posted it, and he hadn't seen it before, so I assumed it was new since he posts IN EVERY GOD DAMN THREAD.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
1. What's the original source? Who first posted it? On which forum/website?

2. Nevermid the photo-shoped hand. If the rus. mag only had one image slipped to them, they could've decided to do a crude photoshop of a hand in order to illustrate it to its readers.

3. Even if fake, its an interesting design concept worthy of discussion.

Amir0x

Banned
pj325is said:
Well, I showed it to amirox in chat before I posted it, and he hadn't seen it before, so I assumed it was new since he posts IN EVERY GOD DAMN THREAD.

Hey now. it's every OTHER thread. Plus as a rule I try to avoid threads about "revolution controllers" (unless it's speculating on what we'd like to be included) because Nintendo don't leak shit!

Gahiggidy

4. What if its part of Reggie's viral marketing?

StRaNgE

Banned
another vote to leave it open..

who cars if it is real or not.

it's th emost gorgeous controller design i have EVER seen.

the shiney blue like draws me in closer and closer.. SOLD!

Gahiggidy

Having a blue light to match the console would be a perfect way to tie the whole look together.

pj

Banned
rev0035dn.jpg

That pic was in the other thread as well as the teamxbox thread. The fact that there's no hand leads me to believe that it's fake..

Gahiggidy

pj325is said:
rev0035dn.jpg

That pic was in the other thread as well as the teamxbox thread. The fact that there's no hand leads me to believe that it's fake..
Why sould that make it fake?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
morbidaza said:
Sounds like the most un-intuitive design in history.

"Revolutionary new control mechanism! Tired of pushing "down" to run backwards in Mario? Want to look up in the latest first person shooters? Just turn around and run away from the tv!"
:lol

Gahiggidy

morbidaza said:
Because the reflections are exactly the same.
So? That only means the version with the hand is a fake... based on the real deal [possibly].

i remember reading a patent a little while ago.
It was from nintend0 and states that from the controller they can determine how far away from the console a player is and as such adjust focus, volume etc in game to suit the distance of the gamer!

StRaNgE

Banned
if somehow this controller is real and it looks that shiny and works as good as a traditional controller if not better then i would say it really will be a revolution.

damn that thing just looks cool and shiny. :lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I can't wait for the nREV controller to 360 adaptor :)

Aurora

Well if this is real I am actually pretty happy.
My theory or idea was that it would have no buttons as such. Instead depending on what game you are playing e.g. rev, n64, snes etc. the buttons would change to match the game and console.
That would be pretty cool and would explain a lot of stuff like when Reggie said it would be able to play all games from all nintendo consoles easily.. or whatever the quote was.

Meh just a thought.

Gahiggidy

I can't find the original post on txb (or was it the Nintendo.com forums?).

Help me out.

SantaC

yes it must be real because it makes totally sense to get the Revolution controler exclusive to a russian magazine 3 weeks after Nintendo showed jack shit at E3.

StRaNgE

Banned
real or not if a controller that looked so sleek actually worked better then say a standard dual shock or wavebird would you be into that?

even without buttons.

Gahiggidy

SantaCruZer said:
yes it must be real because it makes totally sense to get the Revolution controler exclusive to a russian magazine 3 weeks after Nintendo showed jack shit at E3.
Its a little known fact that Miyamoto has a mistress holed up in Kiev.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
StRaNgE said:
it's th emost gorgeous controller design i have EVER seen.

the shiney blue like draws me in closer and closer.. SOLD!

fnlight.jpg

sorry, couldn't help myself

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Nintendo Revolution Controller...
nintendorevolutioncontrollermo2.jpg

Description...
nintendorevolutioncontrollermo1.jpg

Okay, some of you have seen this before (or rather, something like it it), but this is a more fine-tuned version that I've made now that we know more about what the Revolution deck will look like. First off, I wanna say a couple of things before I begin to describe it's features & functions. Right away, people will notice it's a two peice controller...very different...and that could be part of the reason it wasn't shown at E3 as Nintendo has said it was going to be difficult to be able to convey or present the idea of the Revolution.

Why make it so...different? Well, first off, it let's people know that this IS different, also (with gyro motion control and the fact that it's a two peice controller) it gives players a sense of freedom right away. Nintendo wants to revolutionize the way games are played *as well as* attract people (non-gamers, more casuals & drop-out gamers) into gaming. People can understand movement, and with it being a two peice controller it let's them know right away this is about free movement. Something that will be more understandable to newer gamers and more inviting. Also more inviting is the fact that the controller is less intimidating. In the case of GAMECUBE, PS2 & X-BOX (also PS3 & X-BOX 360 for that matter), there are 4 different possitions for players to place their thumbs which also looks and feels complex in the hands of a non-gamer. So many buttons, sticks, whatnot in so many different possitions all sorta overwhelms them.

In my design there are only two possitions to place the players thumbs which feels easier and looks more simplistic. There are tons of gamers from the past who understood the basic NES pad's 'cos of this, but have since "dropped-out" from gaming 'cos they couldn't keep up. It may look a lil' scrunched with all the different functions so close together, but with the way I've laid them out and the fact that I've put the more centralized analog stick (on the left grip) and the buttons (on the right grip) on a more raised surface, should prevent accidental slipping. There are only two face buttons, but they're big enough to accomedate two functions each...a "hi" and a "lo" depending on where you push it (the upper part for the hi press and the lower part for the lo press).

Not only this, but my design is accomedating for past Nintendo systems as well as ports from other systems. I had thought about making the face function areas a "ball" of some kind that sit cupped in each grip so as to twist the ball for comfortable possitioning, but I thought that may be too radical and that if the basic face layout wasn't comfortable enough then I should change it. In past designs I had the analog stick (with digital click) being the central function of the left grip with a smaller "D-Button" as I called it, but now I've enlarged the D-Button and given it more function. The right grip (in my past drafts) had a GCN controller layout with a clickable trackball replacing the GCN's central A Button, but after thinking about making a game like Metroid Prime work (a game which requires the stick, D-Pad, face buttons and a secondary stick to play), I had to make the trackball less central and more secondary so I offset it (like the D-Button on the left grip) and simplified the button layout next to it.

I think this fits well with what Nintendo may be planning. It's been said that the new interface would replace the basic D-Pad and A & B Buttons of the past with something else...and my design does that. It also promotes simplicity in layout and comfort. To add to comfort and function is the grips themselves which are made of a special soft rubber (think stress ball material) which should not only be something comfy to grip, but also be one of the "new" aspects of the interface. There were rumors of the controller being touch sensitive and I think this can easily be implimented by having two layers of stressball material stretched over the grips and inbetween them a "skin" of sensors that can sense how soft or hard the material is being pressed, squeezed or gripped. There was also the rumor of rubbing or something like that...while I don't give much creedance to that, I guess using a trackball would be like rubbing. But, beyond that I mentioned above that I added function to the D-Button. In the center of the D-Button is a small, soft, protruding jogball (it's like a trackball, only smaller & more sensitive) which can sense not only when your pressing or moving it, but also in what dirrection and intensity you're moving it in.

Already I've described alot of differences and new features of this controller interface such as gyro motion control, the D-Button with jogball, the new face button layout with hi & lo presses, sensory grips, clickable analog stick and clickable trackball, but there's more. Each grip has rumble, lightgun sensors, rechargable batteries and on/off switches as well as gun-style clickable analog triggers, clickable toggle wheels (in the index possition) and base buttons. The base buttons (as I've described in the past) are hard action buttons at the bottom of each grip. In a shooting game you could slap as if reloading a handgun, in a racing game you can push the base button into the couch or arm rest next to you so as to simulate a gear shift and you could hold a grip down on a tabletop to simulate an arcade stick as well...it's a button I designed to give certain games more action. The left grip has a button for changing wireless Wavebird channels, a recharging jack and also has a built-in cord for connecting to the other grip when recharging. This cord could also be used to plug into a GameBoy micro for instant connectivity. The batteries are easily replaceable too. The right grip has a built-in mic and a plug for a headset.

I could be way off in my reasoning for the Revolution's interface. Not to say I believe in the TouchSense feedback touchscreen, but it could be possible (as a secondary function hopefully). I think gyro's are also a certainty and that plus sensory grips (if that rumor is true) lead me to believe it to be a two peice controller. I think it would be redundant to make it a one peice controller with a full gyro motion control as that would lose the sense of freedom the technology could give...and as far as if the controller is grip sensitive, imagine how (un)durrable such a controller (which may require you to grip/squeeze it very hard) would be if it were a one peice controller with two handles...that just screams "break me" I think. The GBmicro cord, built-in mic & headset jack maybe too much wishfull thinking on my part as Nintendo may make a wireless function for GBmicro as well as a wireless headset instead.

goomba

Banned
Nintendo have said many times the revolution controller is designed to make gaming more accessible for non-gamers. I predict a controller with very few buttons and a gyroscope used to play new types of games not playable on any other system.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Matlock said:
quoth drgakman:

That's the saddest, most delusional post I've read all year.

And I've read quite a few.

Wouldn't his "controller" cost upwards of $50 apiece? I mean, tactile touch screens on every controller? Say goodbye to third party controllers, and fuck my friends. If they want to play on my Revolution, they'll have to shell out for their own damn controllers.

Otherwise, sounds pretty cool but very far away from being practical.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Huh? My controller doesn't have a touch screen let alone a tactile feedback touch screen at all. I just posted my controller 'cos I recently drew it up. Since there are no touch screens or screens of any kind I don't think they would cost that much.

However, I could be wrong in my pricing due to having two seperatly powered grips with wireless, rumble, gyro control, grip sensitive control & thier own seperate batteries! So I'm also designing a one-peice controller too. The one peice design I'm making has the same (simple yet functional) face button layout, it's just the shape of the controller is different. Think of the "bone" NES pad for the redesigned NES...basically the idea came to me that while a one peice controller wouldn't give as much "freedom" for gyro motion control, it may be more practical/doable. I'm going with a bone shape design in order to accomedate for holding horizontally (traditionally) and making it thinner and longer in the middle so as to hold it in one hand (or two controllers in either hand for games that may use a duel-weilding gyro motion control method) vertically. I figured it would be more doable/practical this way 'cos of price concerns and battery life issues with a two-peice controller interface. The problem I'm having in my one-peice controller design is trigger placement...however, this may be made moot if the (heavily rumored) grip sensitive control is true. If the whole controller is grip sensitive (which makes little sense unless you apply it to my bone design + horizontal/vertical one-peice controller) than "virtual" buttons or triggers could be mapped out on the controller no matter how you hold it.

Some people may not understand how a fully touch/grip sensitive controller could be made, but I am sure it wouldn't require touch pads or touch screens. Think of the moldable stressball rubber matterial...you have a controller and you stretch two layers of this material over it and between those layers have a thin layer of sensors that can sense when you touch, rub, grip or tighten your fingers around the controller. There could be lot's of sensors, plenty to map out for all kinds of games and can be used no matter if you're holding the controller vertically or horizontally.

Top Bottom