• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Mackie: Civil War best yet - Best Picture Oscar Aspiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahador

Oh uh...gaf movie snob and DCCU fans be like...
QvYJPmV.gif

roytheone

I doubt we will ever see a superhero movie get nominated for best picture, especially when even the dark Knight didn't get nominated.

Monocle

I'm keen to see this but boy do they need to tone down the hype train. Just do what Deadpool did with their marketing and you'll be set.
That's a tall order considering how Deadpool's marketing exploited the character's fourth wall breaking so much (and so well).

A snarky Tony Stark playing against Cap's straight man could kind of work? Maybe? But this soon after Deadpool it would probably feel too derivative.

Betty

Banned
He understands that Iron Man 1 and Winter Soldier are the best Marvel movies and believes Civil War is superior even to them?

Hype.

Farsi

Best picture at the MTV movie awards for sure.

I'm loving how it seems like it's gonna be more dialog driven.

I'm sure if Civil War has:

- Suicide
- Staring out a window while it rains
- A physical disability
- Scenes with shouting and crying
- Provocative religious imagery
- Scenes about movie making
- Addiction
- Suspenseful piano music

Then it has a shot.

It probably has only two of these.

Replicant

I saw the trailer for this and BvS back to back at Deadpool screening and while Civil War doesn't look like it has the budget and Spectacle that BvS has, the trailer emphasized its plot a lot better than just "Here are clash of the Super Heroes".

I think many people would be able to relate more to a fracture in friendship and when a friend choose one friend's side over another. That element can only be executed if the audience already know the characters for years after following them in various storylines.

So yeah, when it comes to emotional stake, I have no doubt Civil War can deliver it in spades.

Nice try Marvel. I am pretty sure I will wait for the bluray/amazon/netflix unless the word of mouth is really good.

This f-ing thread title make me thought for a moment there was an actual American civil war epic about Lee and Grant being made and it pissed me off.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
ahahaha, shut up Mackie

and I say it as a Marvel fan who thinks the DC movies are trash in comparison

jett

D-Member
Yeah, just like Furious 7 was gonna be best picture material too, according to Vin Diesel.

Anyway, Mackie really likes himself some shillin'

I'm sure if Civil War has:

- Suicide
- Staring out a window while it rains
- A physical disability
- Scenes with shouting and crying
- Provocative religious imagery
- Scenes about movie making
- Addiction
- Suspenseful piano music

Then it has a shot.
It probably has only two of these.

You forgot a hollywood writer/producer save America in the movie story.

And or the movie is directed by an actor.

Sure fire way to get nomination.

Ahasverus

If this movie is seriously great and has critic cred it would lead to an age of great CBFilms, the one we thought we were getting with The Dark Knight until everything post Iron Man 2 happened. Basically my dream.

Just throw in some Nazis and the deal is done.

I'm sure Captain America could scrounge some up

Real talk though, I'm actually not a superhero fan at all, so when I heard of Captain America: Civil War, my first idea of what it was was that Captain America and Iron Man travel back in time to the Civil War. Which made it really awkward because I'd also saw a snippet that they'd be fighting each other in it which would have meant (in my wrong scenario) that one of them thought that the Confederacy had some good ideas

Yes, raise those expectations to the high heavens. Only good can come of it!

Anyway it could be fucking incredible and worthy of best picture, but the Academy still wouldn't bat an eye at it.

Platy

What is with 2016 and superheroes being Oscar worthy ?

First "Oscar winner writer quality" for Batman V Superman and now this !

You don't need to win an oscar for me to love you, civil war. You just need to show me Spidey kicking Baron Zemo's ass because right now I almost forgot that both are in the movie

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited for the movie and I'm pretty sure it's going to be good but come on. Oscar nom for best picture? I don't think even the worst internet fanboy would say something so silly.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Welcome to the Oscar-era of superhero movies. Our movies about musclemen from the funnybooks can finally be legitimized once they win the same award given to cinematic masterpieces like Crash and Shakespeare in Love.

Altairre

I like the Marvel movies, a few of them a great deal but this sounds like some bullshit.

Welcome to the Oscar-era of superhero movies. Our movies about musclemen from the funnybooks can finally be legitimized once they win the same award given to cinematic masterpieces like Crash and Shakespeare in Love.

Perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom