• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any cheap ways to upgrade my PC?

Copper

I guess I'll return the RAM sticks (since they're 4gig and my DDR3 is 8gig) and just wait until next year to see what the motherboard and CPU refreshes are.

BF1's beta isn't selling me on upgrading for it just yet. So I probably will hold off. Though I'm worried about the RAM limitation of them wanting more than 8 for future titles if I just do a hard-drive upgrade (moving Windows 10 to the solid state and installing Debian to try Linux gaming/learning Linux) and GPU upgrade (which is sorely needed for the GTX 760).

16 GB of RAM would be ideal. You can grab another 8GB stick for fairly cheap. Just make sure the are the same speed and running in dual channel. But upgrading that GPU will be the biggest difference in gaming.

TransTrender

Gold Member
All you really need is a new GPU.
Get an AMD 480 or an NVidia 1070 and call it a day. When that runs out of steam at 1080p and 60 FPS then consider a new system.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
16 GB of RAM would be ideal. You can grab another 8GB stick for fairly cheap. Just make sure the are the same speed and running in dual channel. But upgrading that GPU will be the biggest difference in gaming.

Yeah, I know the GPU needs to be upgraded. I just wasn't sure if I needed to upgrade the rest (I haven't had to overclock this CPU yet), and since I'm targeting 1080p I guess I can hold off for about another year or two before doing another rebuild?

I guess I'll look into RAM. AFAIK my Z77A-GD55 doesn't have more than one DDR3 RAM slot?

DonMigs85

Dual vs Single isnt always a advantage. Not all games will show an increase. Most benchmarks showing gains are using videocards far in excess of his in modern games. The dude has a video card from 2012 and you want him to spend money on RAM. Lol.

Well, if he gets a GTX 960/1060 or RX 470/480 his single channel RAM is going to prevent the CPU from reaching its true potential and bottleneck many games released within the past 2 years. It's also a very cost-effective upgrade. Other non-gaming software can benefit as well - just about anything that can't just fit within the CPU caches.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T63BJM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
See? It's just $40

DonMigs85

Yeah, I know the GPU needs to be upgraded. I just wasn't sure if I needed to upgrade the rest (I haven't had to overclock this CPU yet), and since I'm targeting 1080p I guess I can hold off for about another year or two before doing another rebuild?

I guess I'll look into RAM. AFAIK my Z77A-GD55 doesn't have more than one DDR3 RAM slot?

No, your board has 4 slots. How many sticks do you have in it now? CPU-Z or even the task manager in Windows 8 or 10 can tell you if you're not sure.

golem

Well, if he gets a GTX 960/1060 or RX 470/480 his single channel RAM is going to prevent the CPU from reaching its true potential and bottleneck many games released within the past 2 years. It's also a very cost-effective upgrade. Other non-gaming software can benefit as well - just about anything that can't just fit within the CPU caches.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T63BJM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
See? It's just $40

Sure, eventually he should do it

dualchannelgh04.gif

But not all games will show an increase.

dualchannelgh08.gif

dualchannelgh01.gif

His biggest gain will be from selling his video card (seems about $80ish on amazon for used 660s) and buy a nice slightly used one (970s are dropping under 200).

DonMigs85

golem, do you know what speed of RAM they used there? For example, single channel 3200MHz DDR4 has equivalent bandwidth to dual channel 1600MHz DDR3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No, your board has 4 slots. How many sticks do you have in it now? CPU-Z or even the task manager in Windows 8 or 10 can tell you if you're not sure.

Just one 8gig DDR3. If I'm to use dual-channel (whatever that is?) I guess I should look at getting another 2 8gigs?

DonMigs85

Just one 8gig DDR3. If I'm to use dual-channel (whatever that is?) I guess I should look at getting another 2 8gigs?

No, if you already have one stick of 8GB then try to get another identical stick. You need either 2 or 4 sticks for dual channel, can't be an odd number.
Your board has black and blue memory slots. One color is for channel A, the other for channel B. So you want at least one stick in a blue slot and another in a black slot.

Veelk

Banned
While we're here, can someone help me out with the same problem?

I'm stuck between either upgrading my PC only a bit vs just saving up a bunch of money and just building a new top of the line one.

Here's what I currently have:

Radeon HD 4890 - This is a graphics card so old that I can't even find drivers for it anymore. So that's obviously got to update. However, do I need to update my CPU/Motherboard as well? Because I also need more ram (only have 6 gigs), and my motherboard only works with DDD3 ram, which most modern ram is DDD4, correct?

If I wanted something that could run Witcher 3 on high settings at 60 FPS (I think that's the most demanding game I got), how much would I need to change here?

DonMigs85

While we're here, can someone help me out with the same problem?

I'm stuck between either upgrading my PC only a bit vs just saving up a bunch of money and just building a new top of the line one.

Here's what I currently have:

Radeon HD 4890 - This is a graphics card so old that I can't even find drivers for it anymore. So that's obviously got to update. However, do I need to update my CPU/Motherboard as well? Because I also need more ram (only have 6 gigs), and my motherboard only works with DDD3 ram, which most modern ram is DDD4, correct?

If I wanted something that could run Witcher 3 on high settings at 60 FPS (I think that's the most demanding game I got), how much would I need to change here?
Getting at least a GTX 970 or 1060 and maybe overclocking your CPU to around 3.2GHz should be ok. Also I believe you have 3 memory sticks running in triple channel mode right? You could get 4GBx3 sticks for 12GB total, but probably better to hold off and upgrade the whole platform when Kaby Lake comes out in January. But you could go ahead and get a new GPU first.

Veelk

Banned
Getting at least a GTX 970 or 1060 and maybe overclocking your CPU to around 3.2GHz should be ok. Also I believe you have 3 memory sticks running in triple channel mode right? You could get 4GBx3 sticks for 12GB total, but probably better to hold off and upgrade the whole platform when Kaby Lake comes out in January. But you could go ahead and get a new GPU first.

For ram, buying 3 of these would work, right?

What is the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 anyway?

Foxix Von

You could pretty reasonably up yourself up to 16gb of ram. I don't really think its a necessity, though. I feel the money could be better spent on a new GPU. The new lines of budget cards are baller. I'd just stash some cash away for a 480 or something ¯_(ツ)_/¯

DonMigs85

For ram, buying 3 of these would work, right?

What is the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 anyway?
DDR4 has a lower voltage and can run at faster speeds basically. It also has capacities beyond 8GB per stick
You might as well just get 1600MHz DDR3. If you increase the base clock of your i7-920 to 200MHz (depending on the motherboard) it can take full advantage of 1600MHz RAM.
I recommend this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8&cm_re=triple_channel-_-20-231-358-_-Product

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shouldn't you still be able to overclock a bit in the bios? I had a 3570k but in a non-overclockable motherboard and I could still get a little extra out with bios changes to bclk (or something like that)

If you can, do that because it's free

Next upgrade for games would be a GPU I think. Extra ram will give you a small boost in some cases by running dual channel but for the actual amount you can live with 8GB for a bit longer. SSD is lovely and will speed up Windows booting and general system responsiveness but won't improve in-game performance (although they'll load quicker)

Freeman76

Guys thanks so much, been away not been able to even read this thread lol. Been playing a lot of WoW and while it holds 60fps on level 6 settings, it gets choppy at times so i will read your thoughts and probably come back with a few more ?'s if thats ok.

laxu

Next upgrade for games would be a GPU I think. Extra ram will give you a small boost in some cases by running dual channel but for the actual amount you can live with 8GB for a bit longer. SSD is lovely and will speed up Windows booting and general system responsiveness but won't improve in-game performance (although they'll load quicker)

Just the much shorter loading times and a lot snappier system overall are going to feel like a much bigger upgrade.

Get a better GPU first and then if you can afford it a 1 TB SSD. I like Samsung drives.

zaidr

Theres been some great suggestions on this thread so I thought I'd ask here...I have essentially the same set up as him, but with a 2500k OC'd to 4.3ghz. Would you guys still recommend getting a GPU upgrade and double RAM? Would the CPU hold me back a lot? Into "not worth the upgrade without upgrading the CPU" territory?

Corpekata

Banned
Theres been some great suggestions on this thread so I thought I'd ask here...I have essentially the same set up as him, but with a 2500k OC'd to 4.3ghz. Would you guys still recommend getting a GPU upgrade and double RAM? Would the CPU hold me back a lot? Into "not worth the upgrade without upgrading the CPU" territory?

There might be a few games that your CPU might not be quite up to snuff with these days, but it's not upgrade right now worthy either. You'll still get a big boost in all but a few games.

zaidr

There might be a few games that your CPU might not be quite up to snuff with these days, but it's not upgrade right now worthy either. You'll still get a big boost in all but a few games.

What games do you think would still be a problem after the upgrade?
Would I be able to play Witcher 3 and Battlefield 1 you think?

Dont bother upgrading your cpu now. Grab a new gpu and if you have $ leftover, grab some ram.

You'll see a huge jump via gpu upgrade to RX470 or GTX 1060 and above.

It's your cheapest option for maximizing performance. If you upgrade your cpu, you're looking at buying a new mobo as well because the cpu socket isnt the same anymore.

Your CPU still has some juice left in it. Buy a new gpu, at least an RX 470 or an RX480/gtx1060 if your budget can cover it, get a nice ssd and 8gb of extra ram. You'll be set for years.

What games do you think would still be a problem after the upgrade?
Would I be able to play Witcher 3 and Battlefield 1 you think?
You'll be fine in those games. Your cpu has more than enough juice to handle those games. It's just that the newer intel cpus would provide more performance with the same gpu vs your 2500k, but a new cpu with your current gpu would be a shit upgrade price wise since a new gpu would give you significantly more performance.

CPUs have a much slower upgrade need vs GPUs.
Im still on my i5 750 @ 4ghz from 2009 and have no issues with any games. This thing has seen 3 gpu upgrades already. It's got more than enough juice to keep games in the playable range

zaidr

Wow, your 750 is still going strong? Nice.

About the RAM upgrade..
I remember buying 4gb x2 sticks of RAM and putting them in alternate slots to enable dual channel. Would adding a single 8gb stick to bring it to 16gb bring it back to single channel?

Get an EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 6GB. It's a very small card. Sell your GTX 660 to get back some cash.

Get an SSD afterwards, even if just 128GB.

Unless you're planning on doing Photoshop or video editing, you don't need to upgrade your RAM; 8 GB is enough. Although RAM these days is pretty cheap so your choice.

Definitely upgrade your GPU. GTX 1060 or its AMD equivalent should be enough to last that setup for at least 2 more years.

Also, yeah, what they said: SSD.

Wow, your 750 is still going strong? Nice.

About the RAM upgrade..
I remember buying 4gb x2 sticks of RAM and putting them in alternate slots to enable dual channel. Would adding a single 8gb stick to bring it to 16gb bring it back to single channel?
Depends on the mobo. Some have a flex mode where it'll run your 2 4gb sticks in dual channel and the 1 8gb in single channel. If it doesnt support flex mode, then all will run in single channel. Should google your mobo model

You could get a GTX 1060 3GB for $200

Could also get a Hybrid drive for about $150.
The 4TB Seagates are actually pretty reliable based on my research.

No idea what kind of display you are using but an older S-PVA will have the best cost performance ratio for Picture Quality.
I recommend a Dell 2709w revision A02 or A03 as they have less input lag than the A01
The Dell 2007 is also decent and has even lower lag. It too is S-PVA but not near as nice looking as the 2709.

If you want a smoother experience, with a sacrifice to picture quality, get a cheap TN based monitor with either high refresh rates or Gsync/FreeSync.

Darkwater

Depending on how tight your budget is and what kind of goal you're shooting for, consider getting a used video card from a previous generation. A GTX 980, for example. Check if the used prices give you a better bang/buck ratio than a new 1000 series Nvidia GPU would by looking up some benchmarks of the new cards.

Here's a quick and dirty example.

This TechPowerup review of the 1060 6GB shows that, in summary and on average, a GTX 980 4GB performs 1% worse than the 1060 at 1080p resolutions.

Getting a new 1060 that is actually in stock at the moment would cost me about 280 euros.

In my area, the cheapest used GTX 980, which also happens to have a factory overclock (possibly faster than the 1060 then), has an asking price of 250 euros.

Sacrifice 1% performance, save 30 buckaroos.

Of course there are some holes you can poke in this approach: more work to research what you want, the hassle of buying used, possibly getting scammed, the question of whether there's any warranty left on the card, you miss out on some latest-generation bells & whistles, the fact that older generation cards are less efficient (read: need stronger power supply for same level of performance), possible wear & tear on the fans, potential OC damage, having 2GB VRAM less makes it less future-proof, and so on and so forth.

It would still be my preferred approach, but I've been building PCs for almost ten years so I'm comfortable with all this. Also, I simply care a lot about bang for buck and less about performance on its own. If you're willing to put in the effort, this approach will save you money.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Another 8GB of RAM would be $40-50

You could get an SSD (this is a huge, enormous upgrade) for <$100

Then the video card -- a GTX 1060 6GB (which is enough for 60+fps gaming at any game at 1080p) would be $249-ish.

Top Bottom