• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any DnB fans on neogaf?

MachRc

great set,

Insomniac has been trying to bring DNB to the states for awhile but it is not as popular here for sure.

The koven live sets are really great as well

Mamofish

This thread takes me back... haven't listened to the genre in a long time! Encouraged me to dig though the old dnb music folder and I found this oldie. Ah, the memories...

QSD

This is some sick shit, hats off

Here's a remix I just finished of an old nu-skool breaks tune I used to play in my student days. It isn't D&B per se but close enough I hope.

Edit: I'll add a link to the original tune, which is awesome if old skool

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Drum & Bass addict Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT reporting for duty.

I'm doing my share by posting at least one D'n'B example in the "What, are you listening too?" thread of every page.

Last edited:

QSD

Rawtekk itself is a duo from germany.

Check their albums!

Sprouted and Formed
Here's To Them

The remix comes from Billain.

God of Cyberneuro, master of distortion and extraterrestrial being.
He is a Bosnian guy.

I worship him!

I think I just had a brain aneurism watching that... and I learned a new word: "cyberneuro"

that video also does the business, I sure hope they found a way to automate all those edits

Con-Z-epT

INC INC check out Paimon. Or Paimon and Place 2b.

They are now called Teddy Killerz.
But especially their productions before they changed names was awesome.

QSD

Billain is establishing this term with his latest album.

If you want more seizure, have a look.

Wow this track and video is amazing work, there's a lot more composition in it than the previous Billian track with the different parts and all. Love the half-time beat switch ups too, Also the way they lined up the video is excellent.

Con-Z-epT

Wow this track and video is amazing work, there's a lot more composition in it than the previous Billian track with the different parts and all. Love the half-time beat switch ups too, Also the way they lined up the video is excellent.
It is pure art! Finally someone who understands me. Where have you been? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Reactions: QSD

Bartski

Gold Member
It is pure art! Finally someone who understands me. Where have you been? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Nice. Yeah I know the record from your avatar pic very well. We've actually had Billain a couple of times over and other guys from Methlab while he was still in that crew back in the day.

On that note, here is Current Value playing a before party on my living room kitchen table, in the times when live streaming a dj set set was still a fresh and cool idea.

Con-Z-epT

Tbh i think they missed a trick not using the tato drums from the intro of akira.
Lol yeah so the middle part where the violin comes in and it gets all sombre really caught me off guard, I love it when tracks tell a story
Also...

His dedication to sound design together with his love for Evangelion really culminates here.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Nice. Yeah I know the record from your avatar pic very well. We've actually had Billain a couple of times over and other guys from Methlab while he was still in that crew back in the day.

On that note, here is Current Value playing a before party on my living room kitchen table, in the times when live streaming a dj set set was still a fresh and cool idea.

I was really close to make it a tattoo once. :messenger_beaming:

I totally envy you for that kitchen party!

The publications on you Soundcloud feed are also really awesome.
I've been messing around with FL Studio for about 10 years now. Just for fun.
It helps me to understand sounddesign, mixing and mastering for a better appreciation of what i'm listening.

INC

I was really close to make it a tattoo once. :messenger_beaming:

I totally envy you for that kitchen party!

The publications on you Soundcloud feed are also really awesome.
I've been messing around with FL Studio for about 10 years now. Just for fun.
It helps me to understand sounddesign, mixing and mastering for a better appreciation of what i'm listening.

I also use FL, mainly because of patcher

Bartski

Gold Member
I also use FL, mainly because of patcher
I used to mess with it a bit because of Harmor, but then I moved to Live and other toys I'm much faster with iterating. Less is more.
At some point software choice becomes irrelevant, you realize you have all you need and the rest is just being in control of speaker membranes so they shake the air the way you want feeding back to you informing your next move towards a result, on the neverending quest to GIT GUD :)

INC

I used to mess with it a bit because of Harmor, but then I moved to Live and other toys I'm much faster with iterating. Less is more.
At some point software choice becomes irrelevant, you realize you have all you need and the rest is just being in control of speaker membranes so they shake the air the way you want feeding back to you informing your next move towards a result, on the neverending quest to GIT GUD :)

Indeed, tell me about, im at the point where Im not sure how to the get the last 10% of polish.

Bartski

Gold Member
Yeah, that last 10% often takes 90% of time, blood sweat and tears. And doubt. Never finished, only abandoned ;)

If it's supposed to be loud at the end and everything works on a micro level I tend to produce to a brickwall set early on (Ableton Glue + PSP Xenon usually) and "master backwards", that is amp close to final RMS and then work back down the groups, soft clipping a lot but real-time to balance both, that often helps.

INC

Yeah, that last 10% often takes 90% of time, blood sweat and tears. And doubt. Never finished, only abandoned ;)

If it's supposed to be loud at the end and everything works on a micro level I tend to produce to a brickwall set early on (Ableton Glue + PSP Xenon usually) and "master backwards", that is amp close to final RMS and then work back down the groups, soft clipping a lot but real-time to balance both, that often helps.

Yep, make a tune, convinced and happy with it, listen back and hate it, end up fucking the mix up, most of my tunes have 8 versions, at certain stages now.

For instance, at that point where it needs a middle breakdown, better intro and second drop, but its still sonically not quite there either

So I've ditched it for now, before I hate it lol

Bartski

Gold Member
Yep, make a tune, convinced and happy with it, listen back and hate it, end up fucking the mix up, most of my tunes have 8 versions, at certain stages now.

For instance, at that point where it needs a middle breakdown, better intro and second drop, but its still sonically not quite there either

So I've ditched it for now, before I hate it lol

it's totally cool and if you're at the point of having lost perspective, shelve it for a couple of weeks or even months and come back with a fresh ear. Everyone does that.
Some "new tracks" you hear from the big dudes were made years ago only now finished.

Also, it's absolutely normal to hate it at the very end, if you don't hate it (no matter how good it is) it means you haven't polished it hard enough :D

That screechy top ender 02:05 sounds really interesting. Strategically automated low pass across the arrangement on constantly bright leads like the one here is often a good idea to give it more move impact in contrast to moments of deliberate lesser brightness (changes within a phrase or ramps across phrases... that's a lengthy subject)

So you have identified areas are you not done arranging here, there is always more you can do and chop it up and experiment with transforming what's in there already.
Such new elements born out of "morphed" old elements usually blend way better than looking for an extra patch to add to the mix.

I'd flip wavetables in your synth patches leaving the modulation as it is, whatever the fuck is the synth you're using there and bounce multiple versions to audio, grab 4 bars, chop to 1/8s and move around, chop, delete and look for "moments" of some new unexpected interaction arising from semi-random layering. Or if you have a way in your software - drop in some kinda looper in random mode and record the output.
Basically, if you're out of ideas - but have, say, one working phrase - you can ask the software to find them for you :) That's how "2nd drops" and all kinds of unexpected switches are often made.

Sorry if I'm being Captain Obvious!

Good luck and drop the next render when you have one :)

INC

it's totally cool and if you're at the point of having lost perspective, shelve it for a couple of weeks or even months and come back with a fresh ear. Everyone does that.
Some "new tracks" you hear from the big dudes were made years ago only now finished.

Also, it's absolutely normal to hate it at the very end, if you don't hate it (no matter how good it is) it means you haven't polished it hard enough :D

That screechy top ender 02:05 sounds really interesting. Strategically automated low pass across the arrangement on constantly bright leads like the one here is often a good idea to give it more move impact in contrast to moments of deliberate lesser brightness (changes within a phrase or ramps across phrases... that's a lengthy subject)

So you have identified areas are you not done arranging here, there is always more you can do and chop it up and experiment with transforming what's in there already.
Such new elements born out of "morphed" old elements usually blend way better than looking for an extra patch to add to the mix.

I'd flip wavetables in your synth patches leaving the modulation as it is, whatever the fuck is the synth you're using there and bounce multiple versions to audio, grab 4 bars, chop to 1/8s and move around, chop, delete and look for "moments" of some new unexpected interaction arising from semi-random layering. Or if you have a way in your software - drop in some kinda looper in random mode and record the output.
Basically, if you're out of ideas - but have, say, one working phrase - you can ask the software to find them for you :) That's how "2nd drops" and all kinds of unexpected switches are often made.

Sorry if I'm being Captain Obvious!

Good luck and drop the next render when you have one :)

Solid advice, as u say, I'm taking a break from it, just doing a few weeks of pure sound design with phaseplant, vital and serum, build up some banks

jufonuk

not tag worthy
GIF by Giffffr

A few tunes here I enjoy, maybe you guys might like them too. I've started to get more into... well I have no idea what sub genre they are, but a slower, more tribal sound? I'm liking the wide background effects that surround the crisp, snappy sounds at the forefront. These go great for me with a spliff, the curtains closed and light off, sink into the couch and relax.

These are fantastic tunes as well that's a bit more typical DnB, but again it's crisp and snappy.

wisozp

Neo Member
that Amon Tobin - Nightlife tune is great!

Used to listen to nothing but dnb when you had to hunt for music.. yt kinda killed that for me.
Iam very glad to have known this genre of music so eary on.
Some tunes..

Con-Z-epT

Was never into ecstasy , so no
I'm pretty much always sober while listening to D'n'B.

The music itself is the drug.

Pretty controverse to set a music genre on equal equations with a drug, don't you think?

Last edited:
Top Bottom