• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any hype or interest for the Foamstars open beta tomorrow?

Little Mac

Gold Member
No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

YukiOnna

I'll probably install the full game, so no. I have seen lot of positive headlines for it though. I still think it's a mistake to not launch for Switch... I did see a photo of the TGS demo queue being insanely long

I really like the character art:
image.png

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This somehow looks worse and worse every time I see new footage. I feel like this is more of a ripoff of Splatoon than PlayStation All-Stars was of Smash. And it’ll probably be just as successful.

But hey, I’ve been wrong before. I’ll give it a whirl when I get a chance.

ergem

I hope it's good though for Square and the people who are interested in it.
I agree. Square needs this for their balance sheet. I hope it becomes a hit. This game is for the splatoon and fortnite crowd so I’m not upset that it exists.

If it becomes a hit, it doesn’t mean that square would just start making GaaS games. One very successful GaaS game is all a publisher need and they will support it thousands of developers.

If it becomes a hit, their traditional development teams making RPGs will have more budget leeway to make a better game.

[Sigma]

Totally forgot about it. I'll download it and try it out this weekend. It's f2p so it already has 1 strike against it going into it. I forgot to try out The first Descendent beta also.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oh shit I didn't know this was square.

Google Google Google... hey-

Toylogic is a video game developer headquartered in Kitaotsuka, Toshima, Tokyo, Japan.

I didn't know it was japanese. That's reassuring.

images

Tams

You know, I do like its style and hope it plays well.

But it has massive 'We have Splatoon at home' vibes.

Quite a lot does look like a rip-off of Splatoon, not to mention it being f2p.

In other words, it has all the ingredients to be a version of Splatoon that just doesn't get why Splatoon has been so popular.

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious what inspired it, and copying an idea is not entirely flattering, but the entire gaming landscape was formed by some few innovative games but equally or even more by many copycats, that improved initial ideas.
I'd also still hope someone would bother to copy eg. Metroid Prime.

Larxia

If you want to play Splatoon...why not just buy a Switch?
Not everyone wants to buy another console + another online subscription just for one game, so I don't really understand your question.
Plus it's not like if splatoon was enough to buy a console... some people might be interested in playing the game a bit, but it doesn't necessarily go beyond that.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

It actually looks pretty fun tbh.
Blatant plagiarism aside, I like the energy it has and the characters and maps look decent.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Man I hate live service games, you know its just going to be there to abuse MTX sales and rope people in with FOAMO mechanics.

It's weird they arnt trying to release on PC, but then I realised its square Enix and their the only Japanese Dev who's not trying to actively Foster a PC community, its like they forget FF XIV exists half the time.

Last edited:
It’s a shameless rip off of Splatoon and has no personality or originality about it. I had the same feeling from the reveal that I have when I’m looking through the App Store on my phone and see those dog shit shovelware games.

Top Bottom